Gear Talk....Chainsaw p.ssss Off delusions and other related anger.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Travis Thacker, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    Along with other hunting gear I had a saw that needed work. Not my saw but one I have used in the past as a back up. Belongs to a family member. He brought the saw over to me for a general sharpening and it needed a fuel line + fuel filter. I tear into the job and noticed the clutch side plate had to be replaced due to the bar adjustment nipple / bolt housing was plastic and completely missing. Ordered a clutch brake housing and the fuel line + filter got bought local. Replaced the parts and turned on the saw to test it out only to find it wont oil right and of course the same oil puddle is present as before under yonder tool. Was very mad at saw!!
    After much head scratching and net browsing I came to #2 basic conclusions. #1 Someone put a cheap 14" inch bar and matching 52 tooth chain on a Husqvarna model 36 that came from the factory with a 16" inch bar and 56 guide tooth / .050 3/8 chain. The 14" inch bar that was on the saw had no OIL hole present other then the crap double hole design that never ever ever works right.
    Anyone else ever work on these Husky Model 36 saws from the 90's??? If so help a man out or at least resolve my mental problems......( P.S. ) No Fart or Trim jokes.

2. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    Sorry I forgot to add........I checked the oil pump and it's working good, all teeth present and accounted for on the oil pump piston.

3. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Check that your oil holes in bar line up with oil pump holes,. Clean holes in bar/blow out with air hose.
    If it's oiling hold it next to pice of cardboard box and rev it half way see if it throws oil on box,. If it's just leaks some sitting that's part of it being older saw

Meatstick and barney like this.
  4. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    Someone must have changed the original 16" inch 56 drive link 3/8's bar to a 14" inch 52 drive link bar and the bar does not have a oil hole that lines up properly. It has the 2 holes for the tension adjuster nipple screw and one of those is supposed to act as oil hole when in the upper position but it's so far back it wont oil right that way. I just drilled a oil hole myself and when the new brake cover comes in I will test it with the current 14" inch bar to see if my drilled oil hole works out right. If not I will order a clamshell 16" inch low profile bar for it. It's been a royal pain figuring this old saw's problems out. It came to me with a fuel filter and line broken and the side brake cover broken where the adjustment nipple screw is. ( Someone cut the plastic out around the screw for some dumb reason.) People seem to break more stuff then they actually use right.

Trapper Delk likes this.
  5. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    One of the questions I had that was confusing me the most was the 3/8" inch bar and chain size. The saw sticker clearly shows 3/8 or 0.375 and 16" inch bar 0.050 with a 7 tooth bar sprocket, and they sell that size bar and chain with 56 drive links on the chain. That said, they also sell a 16" inch 0.325" inch 0.050" bar and chain set up that uses 66 drive links that uses a larger diameter nose on the bar with more sprocket teeth. Will the .325 bar and chain run on my saw even though my saw spec's show .375" 3/8" ????

6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    @Meatstick will probably know. i just give my model number and desired bar length to the stihl rep, and he gets me what i need (or offers me options). I love running small bars on big saws, they rip!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  7. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Trapper steered him right. Fairly simple system, not much to go wrong on them.

8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Id say he needs to swap a sprocket to run the smaller bar.

Meatstick likes this.
  9. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Yes sprocket and chain has to match

10. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    Thanks for the help. I kinda figured the sprocket had to be swapped for the 0.325 bar and chain. That's only a small tad smaller the 0.375 or 3/8 inch bar set up but I eventually figured out the bar I needed if I wanted to go 16" inch set up. I might just leave the 14" inch bar on the saw. I already went to all the trouble of drilling a new oil hole properly on both sides of the bar and sharpened the blade. It was making good cuts and chips but needed that new plastic blade brake handle that has the adjuster screw tab in it. Even with the broken old one on the saw it cut good just would not oil right or stay adjusted.