Gas in your area take a jump ?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Duster, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Went from $1.49.9 to $1.99.9 in a couple days here. Now gas and diesel are the same price.

2. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Yes the Arabs must of had a bill come due.

3. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Price of oil has been rising steadily for over a week.

4. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    Yep, same here , $1.57 to $1.97 ( Barren Co )

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I had actually heard we could see it in the $3 range by May. Heard this in December. Why? I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Same down here in Somerset. I think I filled up for $1.47 last week.

7. stevenvalleyagain

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Some pretty good articles about oil and gas prices are always on a website I check out regularly. Its oil-price.net. It always has articles that help explain why we were still paying $1.50 /gallon with oil at $26 a barrel. Good stuff.

8. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    And will hopefully keep on going up!!!! We all need to get back to work out here. I know a lot of folks that have either lost everything, are going to loose everything soon, or are just hanging on. Just like the guys in the coal mines we are hurting too

9. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    YEP! by 10 cents/Gal. in my area.

10. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    $1.99 here too. $1.72 earlier in the week.

11. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    We're hurting up here too. Half the company I work for is laid off. I'm a little higher up the chain so I'm still here but I've went from 50-70 hours a week and always having the option of working more, to averaging about 35 hours a week. We do pipelining and well service work for several big gas and oil companies and right now we're the only contractor still working, they've let all our competition go. Our reputation has saved us so far but I sure hope it picks back up soon.

12. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Amen brother!! So do I. Luckily my boat is still working. We have another 4-5 months left in contract. Hopefully we'll get lucky and they'll renew our contract

13. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    Gasoline jumped anywhere from $0.10 to $0.30 a gallon around the Bowling Green area in the last few days.

Oil has jumped too but none of it makes any sense to me. I've been through these highs and lows in crude oil prices all my life but this is the first time that there seems to be absolutely no logical explanation for the volatile spikes.

Right now, "they" claim every storage tank, super tanker and 55 gallon drum in the world is completely full of crude oil and demand is falling BUT the price of crude just jumped 25% in the last few weeks! WTH?

You will notice, I'm sure, that every time crude oil falls in price, the price of gasoline/diesel lags about 6 weeks but as soon as oil starts to go up, the prices at the pump start jumping before they can get the next tanker unloaded.

Something tells me that we, the producer/consumers, are just little puppets on the end of somebody's big long string and whoever that is, is making a killing on these price fluctuations.

I'm not complaining about the increase, far from it, but it looks like the only thing any of us on the receiving end can do is bend over, grab our ankles and make a wish!! :(

14. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    I'm not going to argue with you guys about this issue, but I will give my opinion.

High gas prices around the country was a major factor in the nation's economic downturn in the last decade or so. When gas went up, so did everything else. People stopped traveling, which killed businesses in a lot of areas that depend on tourism to survive. It cost so much to ship goods when gas and diesel were sky-high, that businesses were cutting back on inventory or raising prices to cover the fuel surcharge costs. People just stopped buying goods other than what was necessary just to compensate for what they were having to pay weekly in fuel, and the added cost of goods. When people stopped consuming goods and services, other than what was needed, the economy stalled and eventually started to fall.

I know you guys work in the industry, and when gas/oil is high, things are good for you. It just isn't good for the rest of the country IMO.

Low fuel prices for travel and commerce is always a good thing.

15. stevenvalleyagain

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    When oil is scarce and cryde prices are high, refiners are willing to give free storage of crude tanks to get the refining business. When there is a glut, the refiners start charging big money to store the crude while it waits to be refined. Unfortunately, the consumer gets to pay extra either way.
    American oil that came from "drill baby, drill" during the Bush II years put a lot more oil on the world market. However, fracking and extracting oil from the tar sands was expensive and they needed somewhere around $75/barrel to turn a profit. The Saudis and OPEC thought they could break the new,fledgling American oil industry by pumping a bunch and making the prices fall. And it worked some, but not as well as they hoped. American companies were able to use ingenuity to reduce costs to the point where they arent bleeding out with oil around $40/barrel now. If it continues to rise, more American oil companies will start to call back laid off workers.
    The plan the Saudis did hurt them quite a bit. They have been spending a bunch of their reserves to keep their economy going. The Russians also have some play in this as they are Europes main supplier. Low crude prices are really hurting the Russians economy too.
    IF Obama wouldnt have made it impossible to build new gas refineries, we could have alot cheaper gasoline. But he has admitted to wanting to get us away from all fossil fuels so new refineries were out. With a couple new refineries, the US consumer could have cheap gas even with crude oil above $60/ barrel. In that situation, the American Oil industry would thrive with no unemployment and the consumer and in turn the economy would be better off.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016