garmin tracker

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by wildcovey, Mar 14, 2010.

1. wildcovey

wildcovey 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2008
    webster ky
    tracker

i havent had a problem not reading a signal yet but havent used it a hole lot yet but i have a compass and distance to dog but when i active a hunt function with the maps it show the terrain and map from where you start to the dogs

2. trader rob

trader rob 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2004
    ne ky..
    it uses line of sight to keep up with the dogs, the compass screen gives you an arrow, showing direction and yardage to the dog. it uses gps to make waypoints on the hunt map screen and the maps feature uses gps. i have the southern us downloaded on mine and can use it to travel with.

you will lose the dog when it crosses the ridge, with the last contact point saved, and it will pick the dog up when it comes back across the hill.

the biggest benefit i get from the astro is being able to find my dog treed, i ruined my hearing with years of shooting, and can't hear very well. without it myself and the dog were waiting in two different places, for the other to come to them.

3. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Ive hunted some of the deepest darkest places youd ever want to go with mine and never had any trouble with signal . The only thing I can see that would pose a problem as far as mountains are concerned is if your dog was in the bottom of one holler and you were in the botom of another then you probably would have to get towards the top to get a bearing on them . I have tracked dogs a couple of miles with them in rolling young growth and conifer forests without much problem and really never had any problem at all in KY. The sd card map update is super sweet especially up north . You can just hunt thru the deep country and walk out at any two track in the woods instead of trying to find your waypoint . It will show you all the streams and trails etc. Great tool and saves tons of time on a trip with wasted walking .

4. greytail

greytail 8 pointer

Jun 3, 2004
    Knot Co. Ky.
    I've had mine over two year. I started out with two DC 20 vest. Didn't care much for the vest. Traded them in for two DC 30 collars and bought two more DC 30's for a total of four collars now. I never turn a dog lose without one. If you don't won't to know what your dog is doing do not put one of these on it. If dog signal is lost just start walking in direction where dog was shown last and it soon will reappear.
    If mine broke or I lost it today I would purchase another one. That is until something better comes out.

5. blackdogman

blackdogman Fawn

Sep 8, 2009
    I've had one for about two years I will never go back to the beep beeps its the best thing since the wheel in my opinion. I love mine

6. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    I have used mine for 2 years now. I love them. The one problem I am having is the top part of the collar. The reciever for the gps on the top of the collar, needs work. The box needs more of a curve to it. This would help keep the collar fitting wright. Instead of having the receiver ride down to the side of the neck. This would keep it in touch with the transmitter better.

7. wildcovey

wildcovey 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2008
    webster ky
    great news

this sounds great i figured a little bit of problem with the collars but the news on here is great thanks

8. blackdogman

blackdogman Fawn

Sep 8, 2009
    I have one with two collars I use on my coon dogs and squirrel dogs. I would turn them loose without one. They are great.