garmin tracker

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by wildcovey, Mar 14, 2010.

1. wildcovey

wildcovey 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2008
    webster ky
    anyone use this product? i just bought the astro 220 i am trying to get away from beepers. i tryed it out seems to work good

2. trader rob

trader rob 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2004
    ne ky..
    i have used one for a year i guess. keep updates current and they do very well.

3. grousehunter ky

grousehunter ky 6 pointer

Jan 11, 2008
    London, KY
    Used one with two collars the second half of this season. I really liked it. I'm still learning how to get the most out of it. I still keep a bell on my dogs as well just so they don't pop up after a bird and get too close to the gunfire.

4. wildcovey

wildcovey 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2008
    webster ky
    tracker

i got the maps for it also but havn't figured that part out yet i am still on the compass but i think it will work better than beepers.how did the collars hold up in the brush?

5. trader rob

trader rob 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2004
    ne ky..
    i have both the dc30 and the dc20 with wire antenna. i can't see much difference in them. my cur crawled through a hillside of brush piles, with the dc20 collar and stiff antenna, worked fine. i would have bet it would have torn up in there, they are pretty tuff.

i hardley ever use anything other than the compass screen.

6. wildcovey

wildcovey 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2008
    webster ky
    tracker

thats good to know they are tough i thought i was waisting money on the maps but it said you could use it as a turn by turn also

7. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    I have the new one, and love the security of knowing if my dog heads over the mtn. Other then that purpose I rarely look at it, I use a bell and a beeper which I can control from the transmitter. When the bell stops, if i can see the dog a simple push of the button gives me a single beep to locate the dog with.

8. robert

robert Fawn

Jan 24, 2009
    eastern ky
    i have been wanting to try one of the garmin tracking systems if anyone has one that they might sell let me know.

9. woodhippy

woodhippy 6 pointer

Nov 11, 2003
    Marion County
  10. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    What's the going price?

11. wildcovey

wildcovey 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2008
    webster ky
    tracker

i paid 550 for the unit and 1 collar, extra collar was 199 and 50 for the maps for turn by turn directions from lion country.

12. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    I paid $599 for mine, I did not get the map chip as I do not have any use for it best I can tell. I know where I am, and really only need to know where the dog is located if he runs over the mtn.

13. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    They haven't come down any. Usually electrics will drop after being on the market for a few years. This one is staying right where it started.

14. wildcovey

wildcovey 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2008
    webster ky
    tracker

no they havn't came down much at all even the old series are still up in price lion country had the best price and acc for 50% off thats why i got the maps.i've heard good things from hunters who have them so i hope its worth getting.

15. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    You guys have good luck with the Astro? I have trouble with GPS in general in my area because of the deep hollers. It's fine on the ridgetops but down in the branch it draws a blank.

I suppose it tells you a compass heading and distance to your dog? Or does it have a small screen with a map, as a regular GPS does?