Garden

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Drahts, Apr 6, 2020.

1. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    Just wash frost off before sun hits it. Your welcome

2. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    First year since I've lived here I decided to wait until Mother's Day to plant anything. Couldn't have picked a better year to wait!

Worried about my pear, peach, and apple trees though. First time they've all been loaded down with fruit this late in the spring. Guess we'll see what happens.

3. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Well, the Maters made it through the 28° night very well.

Nock, barney, Feedman and 3 others like this.
  4. Low of 36 here in Coldwater in Calloway County. I had a few Romas and 4 early German pinks plus a line of peppers in my raised bed I covered last night with buckets and containers. Good thing I did cause it had a nice layer of frost on every one at daybreak this morning. The bulk is still in containers I brought in last night.
    [​IMG]

Nock, bondhu, JR in KY and 3 others like this.
  5. I ordered 2000 red wigglers from Uncle Jim’s and on the way. I’m gonna get back into vermiculture and composting again. I’m transitioning from traditional tilled row gardens to raised beds and need it for a soil mix for my beds. That’s why I had all those containers to begin with.

6. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    More frost expected tonight (Saturday) thru Tuesday. Yay! Not much lawn mowing this week!

7. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    No damage here, other than self-inflicted. Remained burning underneath the fruit trees last night through 39°F but could not stay awake any longer. My general locale had two hourly readings of 35°F, between 4-6AM, but I'm not noticing frost damage on anything uncovered.

Never touched the blackberries, and the one lone flower is perfectly fine, with no damage to all the buds. My dog spied the blanket atop the surprise gladiolus, taking all as I nice spot to bunny down and busted a few, before being unceremoniously commanded to relocate himself. I have a 2x1 burn in the grass underneath two of the peach trees, where the metal container full of fire sat burning. Nothing like trying to keep multiple fires burning at once while searching for and breaking up deadwood in the dark. My dog would occasionally freeze and growl at something, causing me to suspect coyote.

I can barely breathe this morning, due to all of the inhaled smoke and feeling fairly worse for wear due to all, but that's okay. Marine has already made it into the s/d and done a drive by, and so I'm off to buy a cup of cappuccino, to try and get myself going once again for additional work.

8. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    My forum nickname has officially changed. It is now The Empress Regnant of Tillville, ERT, for short! I have just sat down for a break from tilling my very first garden, all by myself! :)

I have been tilling for two hours, nonstop, with a machine much bigger and heavier than I happen to be. It has royally kicked my cute little butt, and I'm sure that I don't even feel the brunt of it all quite yet. The only reason that I stopped, is that my second tank of fuel has been consumed, and I must go purchase more, which I am soon to do.

I have managed one complete north/south pass of Tillville, as well as crossing half all east/west, with the tiller blades set to their lowest depth. I now fully understand my father's story regarding making a turn with a plow mule, when just a boy and not much bigger than myself. Whoa, what a great workout! I have learned the benefits of reverse gear and made frequent use of it.

The kind marine had to crank the tiller from the carb, and so I have serious doubts about getting it to crank again by myself, being that I don't like doing that. The soil looks good, full of many worms. I have tilled around my favored pyrotime spot, for now, and should be able to take some soil samples to the extension office next week. The bluebirds and robins are lovng Tillville, as well. One awesome thing noticed while creating our kingdom were some healthy looking strawberries mixed into the blackberries. :cool:

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  9. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Smoked my green beans. Everything else was good.

10. HCDH66

HCDH66 6 pointer

Apr 10, 2019
    Hardin County
    Been covering my 52 tomato plants the last 3 nights with buckets. They are good so far. My KY Wonder beans had just come up late last week, unfortunately. I covered the rows with straw. Looks like they have survived it. My Kennebec potatoes were about 6 inches tall. The tops of them got burned pretty badly, but there is plenty of green growth at the base. I think they will be ok. Cold weather crops (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and lettuce) are good. My main concern now is my peach and pear trees and my blackberry vines. Time will tell.

HuntressOfLight and barney like this.
  11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Two different rose bushes produced blooms today, one white and the other red. Both with deep fragrance and while the white one is perfect, the red one appears to be sufferring erectile dysfunction (also known as "bent neck" within the rose world) for unknown reason. Time should soon tell whether all was merely fluke with that early rose, being that the same stem contains multiple buds yet to show color. I shall be giving it a closer look tomorrow, ruling out other potential issues. Some lime may be necessary.

Other than the recently amended soil, I have held off feeding them and shall do so in the morning, now that spring is finally arriving. I shall also be collecting some soil samples for the extension office, prior to feeding. It's most certainly not due to thirst, I know that much. Other than that, all continues to look much better. I am considering adding a birdbath as a centerpiece, so that the birds will focus upon insect control there, if a problem develops with them.

12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Mission accomplished. I, the Empress Regnant of Tillville, have completed my second pass, via the kind assistance of the utility meter reader. I spied him pulling into the driveway around 7:30AM and requested he crank the tiller for me. The male bluebird and robin feasted upon upturned insects, as I worked.

My tummy muscles remain sore from the Saturday's initial creation of our new kingdom, but not too badly. Tillville is approximately 75'x25' and contains existing plantings of bulbed flowers, most yet to bloom, and the additional fruits, veggies and herbs shall soon be selected.

A call and message has been left this morning for the county extension office regarding setout time for soil sample analysis; meanwhile, rains are in route and potentially each day this week, beginning tonight, with temperatures set to reach into the low 80s by Sunday. There will be much raking and removal of weeds/grass upturned within Tillville today, being that I refused to utilize chemicals to kill all off, prior to tilling.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  13. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    A4F63357-E2F2-4AFE-960B-76C6201C640B.jpeg
    Got a test run on my barrels today. Both full. Think I will add another.

Feedman, drakeshooter and barney like this.
  14. Withered Oak

Withered Oak Spike

Jan 15, 2015
    Extreme Western KY
    Over the last couple years I have moved to raised beds. So much easier. The soil mix is key. I use a few self watering containers also for peppers. The only thing we plant the old way in the garden is beans.

HuntressOfLight and drakeshooter like this.
  15. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Build you a stand and put an ibc tote on it for rain water collection. Get the stand tall enough and you can use the tote valve to fill buckets or run a hose and have enough pressure to use a soaker hose.

timer likes this.