Garden

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Drahts, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Looks plenty good Barney

barney likes this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    It was delicious, thanks!

Gforcetrivers and Dark Cloud like this.
  3. redjackson

redjackson 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2010
    Barren County
    One word...two syllables...daaayuuummm!!!

barney likes this.
  4. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Managed an ID for my newly acquired swamp wildflower and have since placed it directly beside the hummingbird feeder, due to learning that my aerobatic little friends happen to be its pollinator. :cool:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobelia_cardinalis

5. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Awesome Barney! Looks delicious! If my wife sees this, she'll be trying them all over the porch next year!

6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    It was delicious! But, it took me 2 years to get a ripe one. Fun to grow and watch, though.

7. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    C35FC89C-122E-45A6-9481-C9CC209F6C7D.jpeg
    Dug a few for supper tonight

8. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    My hummingbirds have been diligently caring for the new swampflower, and it just occurred to me that it was wise to have staked it for additional support. Strong winds did take their toll upon it since last reference, causing my intervention, but at some point within the past 14 hours,,much stronger winds plowed through, mowing down quite a few zinnia and completely uprooting one, while mowing down even larger plants. Interestingly enough, the tall sunflowers all survived, even though only random volunteers here and there. A large deadwood scaffold of 15+' was even victim to all, covered in fungi and vines, along with smaller deadwood here and there. Even the bluebird box that I nudged with the zero turn was flipped back upside down, being that I have yet to repair it. I also spied many boletes during my little investigative stroll, as well as a half-full can of lighter fluid beside pyrotime had been flipped onto its side. Three surrounding airports show absolutely nothing amiss during the past 24 hours, indicating that my precise locale must have been momentarily special once again. :cool:

9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Mega peaches found on the ground while mowing yesterday and don't know why, other than I guess that windstorm forced all to occur, and none have any reddish color to them. Will be seeing whether any are good today, being that I mowed around them.

10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Tasted the fallen peaches and they were rank. Even tossed a few to a male squirrel yesterday, and he didn't want them. Some remain upon one of the trees; so, not all hope is lost.

Lady Evil Red-tail announced her presence 15 minutes ago. We have developed a love/hate relationship. As usual, I ran down the hill past Tillville and toward the direction of her call over in Bunnyville. She was low up in a tree but only momentarily, taking flight as soon as I rounded the tree line. Those are some massive wings. While already halfway down the hill, I decided to check in on my one passion fruit, expecting it to be long gone, but it remained hanging tough, green, and rather wrinkled; so, I picked it, bringing it back up to the house.

Upon breaking it open, I discovered many white seeds encapsulated within a white but transparent sheath, and unfortunately no pulp was found. I tasted one, and it had a slightly sour taste to it, but it was not bad. I believe that I picked it too soon. Regardless, I am going to attempt to work with these seeds.

"...Passion Flower is an evergreen in tropical or semi-tropical regions, but as the winters become cooler it will drop its leaves. You do need to prune new growth occasionally to promote flowering.

Gardeners grow Passion Flower from seed, but the flower seed can be slow to germinate. It actually has a chemical in the seed to keep germination slow. It is recommended to soak the flower seed 24 hours before planting, and sow the Passion Flower seeds 1/4 inch deep in good compost or potting soil. In place of soaking in water, you can soak them in pulpy passion fruit juice. The acid helps break down the seed shell and helps in germination. Keep soil damp, but not too wet. It is best to start Passion Flower seeds in containers. Once Passion Flower seedlings have 4 - 5 leaves, they can be hardened off and transplanted into the garden. Passion Flower plants need to be well watered through out the summer months, watering infrequently but deeply to encourage deep root growth. During the winter months keep the soil on the dry side so it will go semi-dormant. Must be planted in well-draining soil mix, equal parts gravel and soil."

https://www.outsidepride.com/seed/flower-seed/passion-flower-seed.html

11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    This man appears to have some good videos and had one on passion fruit seeds. He is even using my new kitchen toy to accomplish all with blueberries, my favorite berries of all, which is what I want the most of growing in Tillville. I have two different kinds of blueberries currently in the refrigerator and intend to try this.

12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Just because a blueberry turns blue don't mean it's ripe. It takes a week or longer for berries to ripen after turning blue. Fully ripened blueberries are on a whole new level.

Dark Cloud and drakeshooter like this.
  13. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
  14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Nock likes this.
  15. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012