Garden Tiller

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by timer, Dec 25, 2015.

1. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I know it is a bit early for this subject, but I'm planning to buy a new garden tiller in the spring. We don't have a huge area for a garden, but we have way too much to try to turn with a spade.

I'd appreciate advice/recommendations for brands and models.

2. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    FIL has a big ole Troy Bilt rear tine that he's had for about 20 years. He's put one belt on it and a couple spark plugs over the years. Other than that it's been bomb proof. Sits in the garage all fall and winter, fires right up every Spring without much fuss. My parents have had a Cub Cadet for a couple years that's been zero trouble as well.

3. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    For many, many years, I had done most of my garden work with a tractor, using a front tine tiller for the light cultivating work. This past year, I sold my front tine tiller, and bought a Husqvarna rear tine tiller. It was one of the best moves I've ever made. If you will shop around, you may be able to find a good used one at a decent price.

4. jeepndeer

jeepndeer 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2006
    Hard to beat a Troy Bilt. Dads was second hand 20+ years ago. Sent to factory for refurbish, like shiny new down to the paint and stickers and been great. Have had a few carb problems due to low use and crappy RFG gas in recent years, but just amazing what a rear tine does to soil

5. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Thanks guys.

I'll check out all three models.

6. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I've had a Cub Cadet rear tine for about 10 years now.... no complaints. Which mine has a Honda engine and regardless how long it sits ...one or two pulls... choked... she always fires up.

Also say the one thing I was looking for when I bought this one was the ability to do reverse tine tilling as well as forward tine tilling. Most of the Troybuilts I looked at in the same price range ($700-800)... did only forward tine tilling. To get one that will do both your getting into some serious coin.

Which if you get someone to break your garden with a tractor ... a forward tine does fine. But if you plan just tilling up a spot to have a garden with the tiller .. you will appreciate the reverse tine for doing this. It won't try to run away from you and will set there and dig. Which after you get everything broke up with reverse... for normal tilling .. just busting middles the forward tine direction works best. That's the good thing about having both the reverse and forward option.

Which I'm not knocking the Troybuilts at all.... their top line. But my Cub which is just another MTD model ...has served me well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    If you need to save money, there are old tillers on Craigslist all the time that need an engine. Harbor freight sells pretty good engines cheap.
    I have a 40 year old behemoth of a front tine tiller that i finally blew the engine on. $90 for a new 6.5 hp predator engine from HF and it digs better than ever. Just a thought if you are on a budget..could have a good running front tine tiller for $150 or so.
    As the others have said, if you are breaking new ground, save your back and have someone plow it for you with a tractor first or get a rear tine tiller.

8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I bought a troybuilt horse about two years ago I think,if you don't have a monster garden go for something smaller just to big for me to use.

9. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    Get a counter rotating tine if you get one. The tines go backward and the wheels go forward. I have a troybilt super bronco and tines go forward as does the wheels. Hit a hard spot of ground and you learn real fast why they named it super bronco. It will/does jump 3or4 feet away from you. It's dangerous but it's all I got right now. I just do a very small area or it would be gone.

10. Nova Shooter

Nova Shooter 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2005
    Warren County, KY
    I have a husqvarna rear tine and it has both forward and reverse for the wheels and forward and counter rotation tilling. It's a lot easier than being beat to death by the old front tine I had.

11. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I can feel for you.... and exactly what I was getting at in my post.

With the wheels going forward and tines reversed ..... you got a digging machine. Set your depth gauge as deep as you want and it will just slowly creep along tearing up ground without much effort from you at all. Couple passes and you can easily get down a foot+ with the soil just powdered.

Forward gear & only forward tine rotation ...... hit some hard ground ... regardless of depth gage .... it's going to get on top and try to run off. All you can do is just hang on and try to get it shut down. It will beat you to freakin death trying to break new ground this way.

Which its not as bad as a front tine tiller ... but it's a close second and why I wanted the counter rotating option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Should have mentioned it but we use a tractor to break it up first as well (and all our neighbors gardens too) I'll run over it 4-5 times with a PTO driven tiller, really chew the soil up good. The Troybilt is for after everything comes up to cultivate between the rows. I have however added an extra few feet to the garden a couple times in dirt that had never been tilled, the big red machine ate it with no problems but as already mentioned if you hit a big rock your going for a ride!

13. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    There is NO other tiller in my mind but a Gravely.Not exactly a small tiller but its king in the walk behind dept..I made a lot of money growing tilling and breaking ground with a gravely..They have no equal and ive used them all..The older troybuilts are a good machine. We have a laregish' Husqvarna tiller that's been a good machine too..take care of three gardens with it every year..
    Use to plow every day for months with those Gravely's..ill have another, maybe this year..

14. Glendale John

Glendale John 6 pointer

BSC What the Amish buy. Made in Italy it has all sorts of features and attachments. Mine is 26 years-old. Recently bought a sickle bar for it to cut tall weeds-grasses. BSC.

15. kydeerhunting

kydeerhunting Spike

Jan 12, 2014
    I bought a Husqvarna drt 900H. It is very powerful and I like the Honda engine on it. It has been ok, but at times it can really break shear pins. I have only had it this past spring and have broken 8 shear pins running it easy only tilling a small area.