Garden Tiller - need thoughts

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by timer, Jul 27, 2019.

1. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I have a Cub Cadet rear tine garden tiller with a Honda 190cc engine. I've been using it hard this year trying to keep weeds out of a hemp patch I'm growing.

The past two days I've used it, it seems to have lost a lot of power. It used to have a lot of torque, but now when I hit a patch of weeds it pulls down to the point that the engine shuts off.

I use high octane gas and the oil was just changed this spring. I blow out the air filter - I have had a lot of dust and this is required about every hour.

Could this be a carburetor issue? It wasn't doing this a couple of weeks ago....

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

timer

2. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Sounds like the governor linkage. Probably the spring .

timer and barney like this.
  3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Is there a screw to adjust the throttle?
    Replace the spring^^^.
    Is there a screw to adjust the governer linkage?
    Also im thinking he may me able to adjust the throttle screw to juice it up a bit. Over time those screws can move.

timer, bondhu and barney like this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Sometimes removing and blowing out a dusty air filter will cause particles to be dislodged and sucked into the carburetor.

I would check all linkages first, and if they are free and working properly, I would then suspect a blocked main jet.

timer and bondhu like this.
  5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    This..... as I’ve got exact same tiller.

I bought mine new probably 12-13 years ago. Been a good one.

But back a few years ago... I had a spell on mine that it would bog down and seem to have lost power.

It was the filter... which if I remember correctly it’s rectangle in shape and was much like a dense paper filter with a foam pre filter.

Which I had always took a air hose occasionally to blow the tiller off and had took the foam portion off to clean . But for whatever reason the paper portion had gotten really stopped up.

I cleaned it and been good every since. Which I make sure to clean the paper part of the filter better than I did in the past. Which our cub dealer closed shop.. and I’ve never ran across a new one.

Probably could get one off the net but have never got serious looking for one. As the filter in itself is obviously pretty tough and seems cleaning it really good works fine.

But overall it’s a heck of a tiller and hopefully this is your issue as well... simple fix.

timer likes this.
  6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Those triangle filters are pretty common, not expensive either, I would put a little seefoam in it with a tank of fresh gas

PUBLIC RAT likes this.
  7. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Appreciate all the support. I tried the seefoam today and it didn't seem to help. I found what I thought was the screw to adjust the governor linkage....I gave it a gentle twist....and I broke something....No idea what this is the engine doesn't seem to run any rougher (or better) now that I broke the piece off.

I poked around and looked for another screw and I can see one, but danged if I can figure out how to get to it without taking the air filter case off the engine. And it looked to me like that would be a fairly complex job. So I loaded the tiller up on a trailer and took it back to the barn. I have a couple of days off next week....I'll try to fix it then.

I'm gonna try to find a schematic on the web....I gotta figure out what I broke.

Thanks again for all the replies.

barney likes this.
  8. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Update....

I took the Cub Cadet tiller to the lawn mower shop on 127 just north of Harrodsburg. Real nice guy works in there. He cleaned the carburetor and now it runs great. I'm not sure how the carb got gunky - I only use high octane gas - but it did.

On another note....I bought a Honda Mantis tiller back in March to help with the weeding and it died on me in the middle of the day one day. I took it in to an authorized Honda dealer to have it checked-out and they were not real keen on helping me because I had purchased the tiller through Amazon. The guy told me to call Amazon....maybe they can help (sarcastic font).

So I did. I called Amazon and told them that the tiller that I purchased from them had quit working. The gal on the phone took a couple of minutes, came back to me and asked if I wanted my money back or if I wanted a new tiller. I told her I wanted a new tiller - it was delivered in 5 days. I asked if I need to send the bad tiller back and she told me to just keep it for parts....

I hadn't ever reported dis-satisfaction to Amazon for a product I'd bought through them....I was impressed.

Dark Cloud, barney and ojibwa62 like this.
  9. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Good to know! I bought a German made (hauser I think) pin nailer (23ga) from Amazon and it won't sink the nails no matter how I adjust it. Does the return label cover the shipping cost? I gotta take it to a ups place to mail the dang thing too

Winchester94 likes this.
  10. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I didn't have to return the tiller.

If I understand your question....I would think that they would cover the cost of shipping for the return of a defective product.

11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I would say that ethanol gas caused the carburetor to gunk up.

carnivore, barney, timer and 2 others like this.
  12. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    This fall when you are done with tiller's ,mower's or boat's you should remove the gas line and fog the breather until it dies. next time for use just replace gas line and fire right up ,smoke will quite in about 15-20 seconds. All the advice I have ever received in life this one ranks right behind-
    "Don't get blinded by the sex until you know how she cooks, cause the day will come their importance in life will swap places";)

Feedman, Munson, dirtstalker and 2 others like this.