Garden Question

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by justwannafish, Aug 1, 2011.

1. justwannafish

justwannafish 6 pointer

Mar 26, 2009
    louisville, ky
    I need some help/answers to a garden issue i've had. I've had a small garden in the same location for the past two years now. I've had good success, except my zucchini and squash plants crap out a little early. Maybe they have a short grow life, i don't know, i'm not an expert, but they did the same thing last year around the same time. We were getting high yields for some time, and like the flip of a switch, gone. Here are some before and after pics. They were getting water, not too much, weeded, etc. The last pic shows the main root of a fallen plant. Could it be some kind of bug? This happened in a few days.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Barney told me it's a vine borer. Kills everyone I put out thats even with poison.

3. justwannafish

justwannafish 6 pointer

Mar 26, 2009
    louisville, ky
    Great, they even took ones out with pesticide? How do you beat that? Everything else in the garden is doing well, its just the squash that these little buggers must like. At least we got something out of em.

4. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    I have no idea how to beat them. And the same things take out my cukes.

5. hootowlman

hootowlman 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2007
    Same here man I live in Pike co and mine are doing the same cucumbers,green beans, and squash too.....

6. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    its the larva of a little black and red moth, looks more like a wasp. About the only way to control them is to keep permethrin or another insecticide on the stems and bases of the squash non stop starting around mid June. The borer looks like this

[​IMG]

7. Pull My Finger

Pull My Finger 6 pointer

Apr 13, 2008
    Versailles
    That's exactly what I'm dealing with. I had no idea what I was doing wrong.
    Thanks, Pentail, for posting the info on control. Is it too late to apply now?
    Where would you get permethrin? Garden center or is it available somewhere like Lowes?

8. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Unfortunately, once it's in the vines it's pretty much to late. If you could find some plants, you probably still have time for another crop. You can get permethrin at any garden center, it may or may not be any more effective than sevin but it's seems to last a little longer

9. A little shot of seven every few days seems to work for me in the past. The SVB lays eggs on the underside of the leaves and if I understand correctly the fall in the dirt, then obviously the bore through the vines. Unless you catch them before the eggs hatch you are pretty much out of luck. Always rotate your crops year to year, seemed to help me. I actually caught one of the suckers flying from plant to plant last year laying eggs....12g with #7s seem to help too...

10. Rat

Rat 8 pointer

Oct 9, 2006
    USA
    Those things suck. The destroy my zuccs and pumpkins every year. Only thing they do not touch are my watermelons and cuccumbers. Something I did which seemed to save one plant was put down agriculture grade diatomaceous earth all over the base of the plant and the ground around it. It kills any insect that comes in contact with it in a couple of hours. Might not keep the larvae from boring but they die before they destroy the vine. This one plant is still producing while the others are dead. The powder also works great for keeping stink beetles at bay. Last application was two weeks ago and last night was the first time I saw any beetles coming back. Going to hit the garden again with it tonight.