Garden, and REAL food Quest 2019

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    4EC54464-2C1B-4FA0-9F5A-27B6EFF27BB8.jpeg Early corn never has the biggest stalks but we will see about ears. This is my first time with Temptation II. I caved in to the RR corn to better compete with the other folks.

Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  2. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    we sold squash at the market saturday and again today and took several cucumbers with the squash today. things are really starting to take off with some heat here finally.

Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  3. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    You are a week or so ahead of me. I really hope my all the blooms on my maters right now set fruit. Most plants have about 8 tomatoes hanging and 70-80 blooms.

Dark Cloud, barney and Bee like this.
  4. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    I wish I could grow maters like that. though I cut back on my nitrogen thru the irrigation and they are doing better this year. most of mine have a couple maters about the size of a grape to silver dollar and each plant has about 2 more sets of blooms above that about 6-8 blooms each. my peppers are not looking great some of them seams the end of the leaves are wilting for some reason. other than that all things considering my garden is doing well have been working on getting netting over my 42 blueberry plants I planted this spring they are growing great. blackberries could be doing better we lost the first round of blooms to the freeze or we would have blackberries already. I am going to mow them off this fall or early spring to make mulching them easier to see if I can keep the weed pressure down a little better.

barney likes this.
  5. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    let me know how you like the temptation 2. I am considering going to RR wanting to do an acre or so next year working on getting an old no till corn planter back up and running. we grow ambrosia now which is just peaches and cream with a bigger ear. I hate to go away from it because we like it so well but roundup ready would be much easier.

barney likes this.
  6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I keep the N and K going strong along with plenty of moisture all the way through, especially with fruit set. When the second clusters set, I like to be able to easily push a finger all the way down in the muddy soil at the drip line at all times. Good N is really key, nitrate nitrogen is the best nitrogen. Calcium nitrate, or potassium nitrate is faster and easier for a plant to use than ammoniacal or urea form nitrogen.

The best indicator is the tops of the plants. They should always be tender and thick at all times. If they are tough and thin, your plants are deficient you need moisture and nitrogen. Heavy clusters of growing fruit need plenty of potassium too. There should always be excess K available for the plants to use.

The saddest day of the year for me is actually when the first fruit starts turning red.

Bee, drakeshooter and Dark Cloud like this.
  7. I hope you RR sweet corn growers tell your customers what it is up front.

HeadedWest, barney and bondhu like this.
  8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Most don't, and customers don't ask.

HeadedWest and drakeshooter like this.
  9. I use glyphosate weekly for weed control around my home but I do not want to intentionally ingest anymore than we already do. I read there’s almost no honey anywhere that tests clean for it and that chaps my arse raw. I grow my own sweet corn and use a hoe lol.

Nock, Munson and barney like this.
  10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I quit using it several years ago. I never truly trusted it, and when I saw what it did to a couple of small plots of ground I used it on I stopped.

I grew an acre of RR field corn 20 years ago. I sprayed it once. To this day I can still see the outline of that acre in the field.

drakeshooter likes this.
  11. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    Got the blisters and calluses to prove it.

Something tells me these fellers are growing more than me though.

drakeshooter likes this.
  12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    When I grew several acres of sweet corn I used atrazine if I had to in difficult years, but most of the time I rotated to sod ground. I could cultivate with a tiller early, then with a tractor when the corn was a foot tall. Timing is everything with weed control.

Munson, Dark Cloud and drakeshooter like this.
  13. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    I am trying to reduce tillage as much as possible. tillage kills all the microbes in the soil. I am hoping to go to a winter cover crop that I roll down and no till into as my main weed suppression but will either spray atrazine or round up if I go round up ready. Some guys have gotten away from almost all commercial fertilizers by rotating cover crops. My garden rotates every year and the other spot gets two winter and a summer cover crop before it goes back to garden again. I have to till to do my plastic and get the garden in but am looking at doing watermelons and cantaloupes similar to the corn with a rolled down oats or cereal rye cover crop to act as a straw layer for weed suppression. I may borrow a no till tobacco setter and test setting vegetable plants into this as well if the watermelon and cantaloupe are successful.

barney, HeadedWest and kyoutdoorsman like this.
  14. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Is it to late to plant tomatoes

15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    You can plant anything to around mid July.

Nock, slobear, Munson and 2 others like this.