Garden, and REAL food Quest 2019

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Feb 28, 2019.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    No fusarium. The basil looks like it has some bacterial spot, and the mater transplants are just showing necrosis on older leaves from several nutrient deficiencies. Both will be just fine once they are planted.

Dark Cloud and drakeshooter like this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    drakeshooter and slobear like this.
  3. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    Do you make kraut or just sell it?

4. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Good looking start

barney likes this.
  5. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    I put out 240 plants this year. I’d love to have time to make some kraut. I’ll have my grandmother make some if she feels up to it. These will be to sell, or most likely to CSA. Our sign ups have absolutely been through the roof the last two weeks. I’m ripping up more ground soon as it gets warm enough for the hay off it to cure. Don’t know if I will even be going to a farmers market.

Nock, kyoutdoorsman, bondhu and 3 others like this.
  6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I hope you fill a couple barrels with cash this year!

Nock, drakeshooter and Dark Cloud like this.
  7. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    I’m a kraut maker;). May look you up!

8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I transplanted 216 mater seedlings to bigger cells yesterday afternoon so they could finish growing out. There's at least a million ways to grow seedlings, but this is the way I have been doing it for the last 15 years or so.
    I sow the seeds in 200 cell trays and let them get a few inches tall.
    [​IMG]
    I then transfer them to 72 cell trays sorting them according to size as I do. I just push the smaller root plug into the bigger celled tray.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once I have a tray completed, I sprinkle soilless mix right over the top and give the tray a tap or two to settle the mix around the seedlings. Then shake off the excess.
    [​IMG]
    Then water them in.
    [​IMG]

bondhu, Bee, Ataulbe1 and 4 others like this.
  9. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    You would be surprised how many tomato plats will fit in Dixie cup, few Rubbermaid containers and gtg. Had to drill drain holes of course. When I was ready to plant I’d just pull them like baccer plants, like I did when we raised them in tobacco beds.

10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Absolutely works fine! Nothing wrong with a bare root plant. I started out sowing seeds in ground beds. I always sowed the seed on, or within a day or two of April 10th. The plants were ready in May.

When I started growing in a high tunnel, and on mulch I had to have earlier plants, so I started growing them inside using nursery flats with plastic 6 pack liners. That finally evolved into the easier to manage and higher density per square foot Speedling trays.

bondhu, slobear and Dark Cloud like this.
  11. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    You definitely got it figured out. I also do a smaller scale

Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  12. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Barney are you using new "store bought"seeds for every year or are you harvesting and drying some seeds from prior years maters so you can perpetuate the exact variety without gambling on new source seeds being different than what you thought ?

13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm planting seeds from varieties I have saved through the years for the most part. I have a pretty extensive collection of heirloom bean and mater varieties in long term storage. I also keep a few different varieties of other vegetable seeds like cucumber, peppers, eggplant, and squash. A lot of other things like cabbage, lettuce, beets, carrots, turnips, and mustard were bought in bulk in ounce or pound quantity and will last me for years. If I find something new I want to try, hybrid or otherwise, I buy it to try. One hybrid mater I have been growing for several years is the Roma type paste called Pony Express that I use to can whole maters. I may save the first generation of seed this summer to start de-hybridizing it so I don't have to buy it anymore. Hybrid seeds have gotten expensive!

14. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Barney you’ve done this awhile ,I had an old man that farmed and always had beautiful vegetables. Anyway he told me he always saved his seeds from tomatoes, and other vegetables, by selecting what he said was a male and female fruit.He said look at the tips, a male will have a tip on the end, and a female will be sunk in on the tip.It really made since to me, but now I don’t know if it makes since, dad always just save seeds from a pretty tomato or two