Garden, and REAL food Quest 2019

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Feb 28, 2019.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    There was a little spud shortage this year over most of the growing region because of bad weather at harvest time.

As far as the Kennebecs go, some of the better local restaurants are starting to discover what some of us have known for years, Kennebecs make the most delectable french fries there are! Crisp, brown, tender perfection! If I could only grow one variety, Kennebec would probably be the one, but I also enjoy the Red Pontiacs for the best mashed taters, and tater salad ever!

https://www.seattlemet.com/eat-and-drink/2012/06/kennebec-the-new-it-potato-june-2012

2. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    My restaurant friend would whole hardily agree with you. It is all he will use for fries.

barney likes this.
  3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I have 2 new projects in the works for my REAL food quest in 2020. One that is completely new to me, the other I dabbled in a little bit over 30 years ago. Work got in the way of my ambitions back then, and there's the possibility of that happening again.

I got started on one of the projects recently by glueing up some panels.
    [​IMG]
    The other one arrived in the mail today.
    [​IMG]

Bee, drakeshooter, Dark Cloud and 3 others like this.
  4. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I have dabbled in that a few times but with inoculated logs.

barney likes this.
  5. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Uh..oh...barneys growing shrooms?!?!?
    This is going to get interesting...and possibly trippy lol.

Munson, Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Did you have any success?
    I plan on trying an automated grow room on a fortified substrate.

7. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Yes harvested probably 5-10 pound a year for 3 years. And this was not even half knowing what I was doing. Got the shitaki spores at the world famous mushroom festival.

drakeshooter, Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  8. With the popularity and increasing acceptance of psychedelic shrooms out west there are a TON of mycologists out there now selling everything from spore syringes to grain spawn to whatever substrate you need to grow out your mycelium and eventually fruit them. Cool you’re looking into it as I’m looking into starting out with Oysters and have been corresponding on Instagram with a mycologist out in Oregon. I’ll be looking to you and bondhu for help.

Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  9. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    You have my attention!

Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've never been interested in psychedelic shrooms, but back in the day, Paul Stamets played a big role in developing my interest in mycology overall.

One thing does stand out about the research on psilocybin, and if I am understanding it correctly, one "trip" can completely cure opioid addiction?

bondhu and drakeshooter like this.
  11. That’s what I’ve read. Like you I’m not interested in psychedelics, just filling my belly with edible fungus like oysters.

Dark Cloud, bondhu and barney like this.
  12. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    (A Slow)....Yeeaaah......your all talking well above my mushroom growing ability’s.

barney likes this.
  13. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    As Usual Im betting Ol' Barney is out there in front chasing the Big Money in mushroom health products. This mushroom medicine may just blow the CDB Oil business right out the door. He must have been looking at HostDefense.com and studied all those mushroom extracts and cure- alls they are selling. This what they say:

""
    Host Defense mushroom supplements can be used every day to help:
    • Augment the body's immune system*
    • Support stress and fatigue reduction*
    • Provide support for daily environmental assaults*
    • Deliver enzymes to support digestion and absorption of nutrients*
    • Provide polysaccharides to increase the activity & impact of natural killer cells and macrophages*"""""""
    Those Lions Mane I have found are in demand ,as are the Turkey Tale . look at the site : hostdefense.com Heres so e descriptions of the power of the products---from LionsMane mushroom extracts.....
    """"""
    • Promotes mental clarity, focus, and memory*
    • Provides cerebral and nervous system support*
    • Many studies have identified a NGF (Nerve Growth Factor) in Lion’s Mane
    • Optimizes nervous and immune system health*
    • Supports cognitive function*
    *These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.""""

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I made 6 grain spawn bags last week using some wheat. Today I got around to inoculating 2 bags with each of the 3 mushroom cultures.
    [​IMG]

drakeshooter and Dark Cloud like this.
  15. My buddy in Oregon is getting ready to sell already colonized grain bags or jars like that, ready to mix in with your substrate on the cheap, eliminating possible contamination on your end. I’ll link him when he’s setup and ready.

barney likes this.