Garden, and REAL food Quest 2019

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Feb 28, 2019.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I prefer the floury endosperm for cornmeal over the more flinty parts of it. Each part of the kernel have different cooking qualities and textures. The cornmeal I try to get is more of a coarse corn flour rather than meal. Basically, what I like for bread comes from the first sift, and everything leftover is the more flinty grits. Sometimes I will winnow the bran from the grits after the first sifting, regrind and sift them once more to make sure that I get all of the floury part. Old timers around here simply called the cornbread from this type of milling "bread", because it mostly contains the floury parts of the kernel and the germ which makes a moist and soft bread that isn't as dry and gritty as cornbread made from commercial cornmeal. Commercial cornmeal doesn't have any of the germ in it, and for the most part, contains only the hard part of the endosperm.

I also like to make different grades of grits. I like the fine grits I sift from the meal on the second bolting best. This fine grade of grits cooks really fast, and has a creamy texture. One of the finest and most pleasing hot cereals a person could ever consume!

As far as my hands go.. trust me, they are leather because I never wear gloves. Over the years I've learned that if a blister forms, you're holding or doing something wrong. In time I have learned to work smart, not hard!

2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That’s eating high on the hog, everything looks good Barney, great pics

3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks!

4. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    It’s about time for the 2020 version of this thread. I’m starting spring brassica plants in the greenhouse this week! My broccoli that was supposed to arrive in October/November is here now. Gonna be filling the freezer. Still got lots of green stuff in the field as a matter of fact. 961DE49D-2138-4310-92D3-1D7BFB2857DD.jpeg 241127A2-94BF-4A43-96D5-2E0C3F0D49DE.jpeg 241127A2-94BF-4A43-96D5-2E0C3F0D49DE.jpeg 606AF240-319E-43BB-8FD2-0437C1E6D07C.jpeg

FOWLER2671, xbokilla, bondhu and 5 others like this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Nice! I remember a couple of years the fall crops were producing into January, but it don't happen very often up this way. Enjoy it, I have a feeling it's not gonna last much longer! I'm still at least a month from starting anything in the greenhouse. Back in the day I would be sowing onion seed around this time. Up here the Cole crops didn't get seeded until mid February.

I've been thinking pretty hard here lately about the garden and some things I want to do this year. I know I want to expand the small fruit by adding a couple more varieties of blackberries for sure. I also want to add a couple of grafted pawpaw trees, and maybe a new gooseberry variety.

drakeshooter and Dark Cloud like this.
  6. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    I’m thinking of venturing into peach trees myself, but like anything in this line solid information is very hard to come by outside of trial and error. I’d venture to say the produce we consume is grown by less than .1% of the population these days. Scary thought.

Dark Cloud, barney and drakeshooter like this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    You nailed it, Sir!
    Hands on, and trial and error is how you learn. It's the only way IMHO, and it takes a while. Experience don't come from teachers or books. Back in the day I remember someone saying, read everything you can on the particular subject, then use your best judgement from that point on.

You hit on another truth.. society can't stand with more Chiefs than indians. That's a real problem these days, everyone wants to be the Chief with no experience.

Feedman, drakeshooter and Dark Cloud like this.
  8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That’s one of the reasons ,you can’t hire young people to work anymore ,they think they’re to smart to learn ,and has to start out at the top ,being the boss.

Carl, rabbit dawg, JR in KY and 3 others like this.
  9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Yep!

10. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 10 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    Cut some arugula last week. Gonna cut more and some kale tomorrow before this weather comes in. Wilt it with olive oil, garlic, green onion, and lemon.

mudhole crossing and barney like this.
  11. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    I can't even find a young person to clean my gutters. I doubt if I could even find one that could climb a ladder. I have always been able to do it myself, but not this year. I guess they will freeze and fall off.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  12. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    We sowed our garden in mustard, kale, turnips and rape after the usual garden stuff was gone. When it first started coming up the deer invaded it. I wanted to have a few messes of greens and some food for the nanny’s in late season. Our mast crop is still going strong so the green patch is still looking good. Had a good mess last week! Hopefully get a few more messes from it.

drakeshooter likes this.
  13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I wish I had sown more lettuce last fall.

drakeshooter and Dark Cloud like this.
  14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Due to the warmer temps, the taters were starting to sprout a little earlier than I like. So I took about an hour this morning and went through them removing sprouts. I generally don't have to do that until mid to late February. All 3 fingerling varieties are holding well still with no sprouts at all on any of them. At this point we have used and very much enjoyed about half of the Pontiacs and Kennebecs.
    [​IMG]

bondhu, Bee and Dark Cloud like this.
  15. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Friend of mine who has a great local restaurant said last week that potato and tomato prices just had a dramatic increase in price from wholesale suppliers. Kennebec potatoes was one item he described specifically. I know Idaho supplies the bulk of those potatoes, and this is the time of year when last years crop in storage starts to run low, and that may just be the reason for the rise.

On the other hand this just Might be a great sales year for some of you who grow and sell produce?

barney likes this.