Garden, and REAL food Quest 2019

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Feb 28, 2019.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm gonna make a couple jars of your pickled maters. I love anything pickled with beans. Thanks!

Bee, drakeshooter and bondhu like this.
  2. There are several good p-k boosters on the market, especially now that hemp is so big again and it’s a known p-k hog in late flower, as well as a big user of magnesium. I reckon if you’re deficient in the magnesium it can actually cause a p-k lockout. Several good cal-mag supplements too these days and the calcium can’t hurt either.

barney likes this.
  3. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Little Watermelon is still coming along.
    I posted a photo on Friday before last I think and he was about 3 inches long.
    From a spit out seed kinda early in the season.
    I can't believe the Damcows haven't stomped on it yet.

[​IMG]

4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I generally buy calcium nitrate locally, but I couldn't get it or sodium nitrite this year. The best I could do was some 20-20-20 water soluble that contained nitrogen in nitrate form. I will have some nitrate nitrogen before I start next year. I already have a lifetime stash of pharmaceutical grade potassium sulfate.

drakeshooter and Dark Cloud like this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    That will be ripe before you know it!

Dark Cloud likes this.
  6. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    Been eating fried cucumbers for years now. I kinda discovered em same way you did. We usually fry them with green tomatoes and squash, each bite is a totally different taste

7. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Let me know what you think about them. And if you think of any different strategies on making them.
    My late brother in law absolutely loved em. We would make upwards of 100 quarts a year, and would be out by the next season. We rode 4wheelers alot together and would take a couple quarts with us and eat em while riding and have a few beers. Its coming up on a year since he has been gone. Ive got a case or 2 of the last jars we made together...i think ill pull one out when i go visit his gravesite ane enjoy them while visiting.

8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Back in the eighties wife and I use to ride a bike ,we would stop to rest a little here and there. There was a little Dairy Queen over at Hazard, they had like a salad bar ,best I can remember ,they had fried cucumbers there.

bondhu and barney like this.
  9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I'll let you know when they pickle, I am going to try to make them over the weekend with chunks instead of whole green maters. Sorry to hear about your brother in law.

10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Precisely 75 lbs. of cut up maters, 4 big onions, 5 big garlic cloves, 3 Cayenne peppers, 3/4 gallon of vinegar, a quart of corn syrup, 5 cups of sugar, 10 tablespoons of salt, 10 cinnamon sticks, and 2 tablespoons of whole cloves.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When all cooked down and pureed makes 27 1/2 pints of sweet, tangy, delicious ketchup!
    [​IMG]

11. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Fried cucumbers? Thin sliced or thick sliced?

Luther's Feist likes this.
  12. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    We slice ours the same thickness as green tomatoes or squash. When you fry them they get a little sweet taste to them

Dark Cloud and drakeshooter like this.
  13. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Luther do you do egg milk flour wash salt pepper

14. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I love me some homemade ketchup. Looks great barney

barney likes this.
  15. Luther's Feist