Garden, and REAL food Quest 2019

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Feb 28, 2019.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Here's the little apple tree I grafted back at the beginning of the thread in April. It was a couple of weeks before it showed any life, then it took off like a rocket! I topped it back in July so it would start forming branches and it wasted no time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    Barney you did a good deed and sure got repayed for it. I'm sure yall are glad it's coming to an end but I've sure enjoyed seeing the pics and reading this thread

3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks, Jessie I appreciate that.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Good deeds are always rewarded

mallardkiller, Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I made another 12 gallons of juice Sunday. I didn't need it, but I hate to see good maters rot from the vine. This brings the total up to 40 gallons of whole maters and juice. I think I'm done with red ones this year, but I will probably can a few gallons of green mater slices for frying this winter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Lot of work in 40 gallons of whole and juice man.

bondhu, mallardkiller and barney like this.
  7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That a be good when the garden is gone, looks good ,

8. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Tell a little more about canning the green ones.

Luther's Feist likes this.
  9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    One day I was talking to an older gentleman about fried green maters and how nice it would be to have them in the winter. He said you need to can them, and they are almost as good as fresh from the garden. I asked him how and he told me how he canned them.

The old guy said to cold pack your wide mouth jars with thick slices, cover them with water and screw the lids on. He then put them in a pressure canner and brought the pressure up to 5 pounds of pressure, then turn the heat off and just let the jars completely cool in the canner. We tried them that year and they were great! I also learned to just can what you can use in about a year though, because the flavor washes out of the mater into the water the longer they set.

Here's a batch I canned this afternoon. Because I used a couple of half gallon jars I used a boiling water bath to can them, and I processed the quarts for 30 minutes, and the big jars for about 45. Believe me, they are way better than they look after canning!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Thanks barney! I will definetly try yhat next year.
    I pickle green maters most years. I grow husky red cherry maters just for that purpose. And ill tell ya..a big bowl of soup beans, a slab of hot cornbread and a jar of pickled green maters is a mighty fine meal

bondhu, JR in KY and barney like this.
  11. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I believe I like them fried green maters better than the red ripe ones.
    I never had them pickled, but I ain't had anything pickled that I don't like.

bondhu, Feedman and barney like this.
  12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I love them too! When I was a kid my grandmother had fried green maters on the table most of the summer. She also cut up and fried bell peppers as a side dish in the summer. Everyone in the family love those as well.

Dark Cloud and drakeshooter like this.
  13. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Now that's a new one on me! I'll have to try that next year for sure. Can only imagine how good some fried green tomatoes would taste through the winter!

Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  14. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I love the pickled green maters..i do them whole. Real simple..wash maters good, cold pack in jars, fill.jar halfway with vinegar, add 1/4 to 1/3 cup pickling salt, and fill rest of jar with ice cold water. Put lid on and out in cool dark place for at least a month. You can throw some peppers in there if you like a lil spice.

Talkimg of fried veggies..a few years ago i had consumed a few budweisers..and was frying fish. Was also eating fresh cucumbers out of the garden..and thought, heck..why not. So i breaded some sliced cukes up and fried em. Absolutely delicious. I probably eat as many fried every year now as fresh. The same with bananna peppers.

15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The rootstocks this mater was grafted to have produced one heck of a high fruit quality crop in less than ideal conditions this summer. They're not letting up yet either! I conservativly estimate that there has been around 1500 pounds picked from the 100 or so grafted plants to this point. Yesterday I took a couple of pics of the fruit load still on the plants. There's at least another 1500 pounds hanging from them! Heavy production takes its toll on the soil though. The rootstocks are so vigorus in producing fruit, they have mined the soil of basically all nutrients at this point. The yellow leaves with dark green veins are magnesium deficiency, and the purple leaves with brown curled edges indicate a phosphorus and some potassium deficiency.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dark Cloud, drakeshooter and bondhu like this.