Garden, and REAL food Quest 2019

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Feb 28, 2019.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Fluty Lick just uploaded a video about the KitchenAid strainer.

2. mallardkiller

mallardkiller 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2008
    KY
    All right guys im going for the kill...
    Im going to TRY to make hominy for the first time...my grandma and momma used to make it...does any one have a good suggestion on corn or a recipe..

3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Hickory King (8 row corn) was the traditional Appalachian do it all corn. It was used for roastin' ears, grit bread, cornmeal, cornmeal mush, grits, and livestock feed and fodder. But any dent corn will work.

This recipe is approximate.
    1 gallon of shelled corn.
    1 cup of hydrated lime.
    Place corn in a stainless pot and cover with a few inches of water and add the lime. Bring it to a boil then and simmer for a few minutes. Turn off the heat and let the corn cool to touch in the pot. At this point the skins on the kernels should be an orange color and you should be able to remove them and the black tips from the kernels. If not, rinse the corn and repeat. Once you get the the kernels clean of the skins, just rinse them and cook them until they are tender.
    There's a few videos on YouTube that will help. Some use lye, some use ashes. But all will work. Here's one using lye.

mallardkiller and Dark Cloud like this.
  4. mallardkiller

mallardkiller 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2008
    KY
    Im going to feed store tomorrow see what he got...thanks for video...

barney likes this.
  5. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    It's amazing how dry the scraps are. Reminds me of the old wringer washers.

barney likes this.
  6. mallardkiller

mallardkiller 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2008
    KY
    Got corn and lime today i will post pics tomorrow ...thanks Barney.

Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    You're welcome, sir! The dryer the corn the longer it will take. Be prepared and patient.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  8. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    When I worked in the vegetable cannery, right at the end, we started making hominy. I don't remember much about the process, but I remember that it was easy to screw up.

barney likes this.
  9. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Watermelons anyone?

Be sure to watch at 8:20, for another kind of watermelon.

And I thought Barney was the Watermelon King....

[​IMG]

Barney, this one came up from a seed i spit out a couple months ago. I don't think he is going to make it before frost.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  10. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I assumed this was Barney's place

barney likes this.
  11. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That’s some serious equipment

barney likes this.
  12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    That little feller probably won't be delicious with the days getting shorter, but I would bet it will get ripe and mature the seeds inside.

Years ago, my uncle planted seeds on the 4th of July. The melons started getting ripe in mid September, and were a nice treat until we got a freeze in October.

13. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    I got a new phone and need to download a photo resizer app for this website. My last charge of summer crops I planted in June/July are fizzing out. I’m really winding down on summer stuff and transitioning to fall/winter. Also very burnt out on picking and have a much needed vacation this week. I have 60 crimson sweet melons loaded up to sell tomorrow and they may be the sweetest of the season. I’ll try to get some pics uploaded in the next couple days.

barney, bondhu and Dark Cloud like this.
  14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I always enjoyed the rest and unwinding I got this time of year when the garden was coming to an end, and I always looked forward it. I also always enjoyed my shoebox stacked neatly full of Franklin's and Grant's.:)

Anyhow..
    I didn't have very much investment in what I grew this year. I used mostly leftover, and saved seeds for everything. I even had some leftover seed starting mix from a few years back. My biggest expense this year was fertilizer and a little fuel for the tiller and water pump. So I didn't plan on selling anything I produced to recover expenses. I figured we would use what we could, and the rest would go to family and friends. That plan didn't work out very well. People can just use so many maters, and after a few watermelons they get old too.

So after we canned all of the maters we wanted, and everyone was tired of melons, I asked one of my friends who sells produce if he could use any. He did, and he even picked it. He took 100 watermelons, and he picked the grafted maters twice one week during the peak of ripening. One day last week my friend stopped by and thanked me for helping him out. We talked awhile about gardening and other things, and just as he was leaving, he reached into his pocket and pulled out an envelope with my name on it. I opened it after he left and Inside was 10 $100 bills!

bondhu, JR in KY, HeadedWest and 6 others like this.
  15. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Being generous came back to you, nothing wrong with that

barney likes this.