Garden, and REAL food Quest 2019

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    drakeshooter and barney like this.
  2. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Thanks for the replies on the melons. After thinking...i believe i asked the same question last year lol.
    I have a few growing..not many..i dont think any of them meet the criteria just yet. But hopefully soon.

barney likes this.
  3. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    0819192023-1040x585.jpg 0819192008-585x1040.jpg
    One thing we hadn't really posted about is okra. Sure is its prime-time for the next month or so as it starts to outgrow us in height. Everybody is usually in a tizzy for it on July first, and had their feel by now. The first picture is the famous Clemson Spineless. The second picture is Emerald. I prefer the longer, skinnier, tender pods of Emerald. I tried to sell folks on it last year but old habits die hard. The folks that did try it are seeking it out.

Nock, Lady Hunter, Dark Cloud and 2 others like this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    There's not much demand for okra around here, but I grow it from time to time for myself. I grew an heirloom variety called Cow Horn that was productive for me and the big pods stayed tender longer than any of the commercial varieties. Customers would probably pass on it thinking it was tough though.

5. If that’s the same stuff as the old Texas Longhorn variety I grew for years it’s killer and it doesn’t take but a few pods to make a mess. Looks like it would be tough it’s so big but it’s not. I lost it one year a few back.

barney likes this.
  6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    That's it! I think it goes by a couple of different names. It's the best I've ever grown. I'm going to try to find some seeds for next year.

drakeshooter likes this.
  7. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    There is an old Disney movie called "For the Love of Willadean" that I watched when I was a kid. In one part of it, these kids steal a watermelon from a guys patch. As they're eating it, one of them makes the comment like, "there's no watermelon as good as a snitched watermelon". Maybe these people heard the same thing.

Feedman, barney and Dark Cloud like this.
  8. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Just want say thanks to MikeKy,timer & bigpuddin43. After finally building a fence and removing every dead branch and tipped the chat out of my for 4 plants. They are setting fruit like crazy.
    BB.jpg BBP.jpg

timer, Nock, Carl and 4 others like this.
  9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I love blackberry jam and jelly!

bondhu likes this.
  10. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    barney, it is damn good to. I ran 2.75 gallons of berries through my Kitchenaid vegetable strainer that I use for my mater juice. Removed every seed and rine from them berries nothing but pure juice. Next picking I am think of doing a jalapeno/blackberry jelly.

Nock, drakeshooter and barney like this.
  11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Pure juice or fruit is the key to a rich wonderful jam. All of the store bought stuff is watered down, some way more than others.

drakeshooter and bondhu like this.
  12. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    barney, the next canning of these fortex beans will be enough for us. Can I let these fortex dry and save the seed for next year? Or are they to much of a hybrid? And is there anything I should do besides dry, pick and hull?

13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've seen beans listed as hybrids in catalogs a time or two, but truth is there are no hybrid beans, none. Save away!

Leave the beans in the pods until they are completely dry before shelling.

drakeshooter and bondhu like this.
  14. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Can’t beat jams ,jellies and, big hot biscuits

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    drakeshooter, bondhu and barney like this.
  15. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I hate to admit it. But last week we where scouting for elk. Had all these plans to cook steak, garden vegetables baked taters etc.
    well over the years we have come to realize the need for the emergency KFC 12 pc. Because drinking sometimes gets away from us.
    At midnight we tour that sob up.
    Buddy and me sopped up a hole jar of that jam on those 6 KFC biscuits. :p:D