Garden, and REAL food Quest 2019

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Feb 28, 2019.

1. You’re a better man than me, ain’t nobody getting away with a pickup load of wood I split and stacked. Not unless I said so.

barney likes this.
  2. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    "no good deed goes unpunished'

3. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    AND.
    That reminds me, it's about time to start cutting Firewood for the Winter.

Dark Cloud, drakeshooter and barney like this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I just had 3 or 4 Charleston Gray plants in the watermelon patch, but they produced 10 or so melons. All of gray melons were nice 30-35 lbs., but this was the biggest. I may save a few seeds from it because I know there's a really good chance it was cross pollinated with the Sangria melons growing with them. The Yellow Buttercup seedless melons have sterile pollen so no chance of it being crossed with them. The Charleston Gray, and Sangria are both delicious, so a cross of the two should be a deliciously interesting project for next year!
    [​IMG]
    It's always a good sign when they split wide open when you touch them with the knife! The brix was just 12 on this one, not great, but plenty good enough to enjoy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Munson, Nock, bondhu and 8 others like this.
  5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Yea man

barney likes this.
  6. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Question for you Barney if you don't mind.
    When I was a kid, me and a buddy planted some watermelons for a few years. Little 5 or 6 pound, round melons with YELLOW flesh. It's been 25 years, but I remember them being awesome watermelons. I'd split em in half and didn't need anything but a pocket knife to put half of one away.
    Neither of us can remember what they were called, and haven't seen em since. Any idea?

barney likes this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    More than likely it was the variety, Yellow Doll. I've grown them a few times and they are productive and tasty.

Meatstick likes this.
  8. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Thank ya sir. I'll let you know about em in about 52 weeks haha

Munson, drakeshooter and barney like this.
  9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Meatstick and drakeshooter like this.
  10. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    barney and drakeshooter like this.
  11. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    0818191943-1040x585.jpg
    The crimson sweets are starting to stand out. I'm hoping some will be ready this weekend.

barney likes this.
  12. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Ive always struggled on judging when a watermelon is ready in the field. Whats some good signs or tips on when to pick them?

barney likes this.
  13. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    0819191944-585x1040.jpg 0819191947-585x1040.jpg 0819191945-585x1040.jpg
    Probably the most fool proof way is to go by the tendrils. The little squiggly things that allow vines to climb. Trace the melon stem back to the main vine and you will find one. Picture #1 still has a way to go, #2 is okay to pick but will get better for a few more days and #3 is close. I like to let them go a few days past when the tendrils dry if weather permits. Barney did a lengthy post on the subject with many more ways earlier in this thread.

bondhu and barney like this.
  14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Here's part of my post from back in the thread:

When I start picking watermelons, I start by noticing if the fruit are showing. By that I mean as you look at the field if you don't see melons, they are still growing. Just leave them alone, no need to even check. Once fruit start to reveal themselves, it's time to start checking some of the older fruit closest to the crown, or center of the plant. The melon should look duller than the fruit that are still growing and glossy green. A ripe fruit will also look faceted instead of perfectly round. If you see that it's time to inspect further. Once you get to the melon check the tendril on the stem closest to melon, it should be brown, and dry. If you have gotten to this point and all of the indicators I have mentioned are there.. make a fist with your hand and take your index knuckle and place it directly in the middle of the melon and slowly apply just the least bit of pressure downwards on the melon, kinda like squeezing off a shot from a rifle.. Just slow and steady. If you hear and feel just the slightest "buckle-crunch", you have a perfectly ripe melon. I think they are perfect exactly one day after perfectly ripe.