Garden, and REAL food Quest 2019

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Feb 28, 2019.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The Mortgage Lifters and Brandywine's are still giving fruit, luscious, luscious, delectable pink things they are. Everytime I pick one I envision it in a palpable, stimulating pose with various proteins, sliced bread, and egg based, creamy condiments.
    [​IMG]

2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    If the grafted maters had gotten a good set of fruit I don't know what I would have done. They are keeping me busy picking as it is. I haven't checked the brix on this picking, but I know it's running high because I ran into a couple of rotten maters while picking and the smell was more of fermentation than rotting. That means quality, and no water on top of the juice. Time to get some jars warshed!
    [​IMG]

300winmag, Munson, bondhu and 3 others like this.
  3. I need to drive up and buy a few cases of juice.......

bondhu and barney like this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    You'd be welcome, Sir! I plan on putting up a lot whole maters and juice from this crop. High solids fruit don't come along every year.

..and you know what I mean about the water on top, there won't be much. The 2 quarts of juice on the left have been sitting there since the 7th.
    [​IMG]

HeadedWest, bondhu, Munson and 2 others like this.
  5. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    Those tomatoes look excellent Barney. Big Beef?
    My best performer this year has been Mountain Majesty. I have folks lined up for them. Very firm uniform fruit without much core and good flavor for a commercial hybrid. 0802191946a-585x1040.jpg Most fruit have been around 12 oz with a few 24-32oz. I have several folks hooked on them.

6. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Damn y’all been busy. Looking good.

drakeshooter and barney like this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks!
    They are an older determinate hybrid that was taken off the market several years ago. I've been making selections from each generation I grow for a few years to de-hybridize it. This seed crop will be generation 6, and I am getting pretty close to getting it stabilized. I have literally sold tons of the parent variety over the years!

I love the Mountain Majesty variety, too. They have the look, size, and the shape I have always preferred. The size seems to hold up pretty well on them as well.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  8. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Mater juice & tater juice helps to get a fellers mind right on them brain pain Sunday mornings:oops:;)
    Goes good with a triple decker grilled cheese if your overly regular that morning too:D TMI I know but it's helped me on more than one occasion haha

bondhu, drakeshooter and barney like this.
  9. I use to love to take a shot of tater juice and chase it with a shot of good homegrown mater juice. Hillbilly Bloody Mary you could make as Mary as you wanted.

HeadedWest, bondhu, Meatstick and 3 others like this.
  10. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I remember calling it tater juice in college, and them pretty little thangs, and all of the city boys, lookin at me like I was crazy.
    I had most of the campus girls callin it tater juice in 6 months...

Munson, HeadedWest, bondhu and 2 others like this.
  11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I love this old cornfield bean. I've kept pure seed of the variety for several decades now. A lot of people have asked for seed over the years when they see it, and try it, but all of them have ended up getting it crossed with other beans, destroying it's uniqueness. If I could only have a couple of bean varieties, this bean is one of the ones I would keep. It is just as good as a dry bean as it is a fresh snap bean. The seeds are white in color, and resemble a great northern when cooked, but they are more tender and buttery.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Be some fine eatin' tomorrow!
    [​IMG]
    The grafted maters are still growing vigorously. They are around 5 feet tall now, still healthy, and are setting fruit like crazy! The old determinate variety I grafted to the rootstocks rarely got to 4 feet in height.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another thing about a mater that has all the nutrients and moisture it needs during fruit maturation is there is no pesky core.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Munson, Nock, Luther's Feist and 8 others like this.
  12. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Are they any land for sale close by Barney,LOL, looks good beans and tomatoes look good

Munson, Feedman and barney like this.
  13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I turned the corner of the garden a little sharp pulling a trailer this afternoon and ran over the last hill on the row of the fingerling taters I planted back in June. The trailer tire destroyed the plant so I just dug in to see if there was anything going on, turns out there was.. I almost got the original investment of 2 lbs. of seed back from just one hill of the Peruvian Purple fingerlings!
    [​IMG]

14. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I never did eat a purple tater, how long you been sharping on that ole pocket knife, it’s as thin as your butcher knife,

drakeshooter and barney like this.
  15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I got that knife in the late 70's or early 80's and carried it until a pin broke sometime in the 90's. It's sharpened a million pencils, gutted a bunch of deer, cleaned a lot of squirrels, and I always used it to split hog hocks to get the gambrel in. I carried a bunch of different knives for about 10 years after it broke, but nothing felt right. So one day I got the old knife out and fixed the pin.

I couldn't find a pin the right diameter so I chucked a short piece of brass brazing rod in a drill and by holding it to sandpaper I turned one to fit perfectly. I hope the old knife will hold up for another year or two of sharpening!

Munson, Feedman, bondhu and 1 other person like this.