Garden, and REAL food Quest 2019

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Feb 28, 2019.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Barney , Are you saving your Big beef seeds?
    Do you bag them to keep them from cross pollinating?
    Are you grafting to rootstock?

I helped my son build a big high tunnel a couple of years ago (0 X 130' long) but , everything inside seemed to want to burn up. Everything he planted out side drowned out or was tore up by the heavy rains we had. He lost over two acres of produce on the outside.
    He need to find some tomato's that will produce inside his high tunnel .

2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I have grown a lot of different mater varieties in my tunnels through the years, all did well, but Big Beef seemed to be my favorite for production and turning a profit.
    I don't save Big Beef seeds, but from what I hear it is one of the easiest F1's to de-hybridize. Just save seed from several plants every year, and keep selecting for the traits you like best. Your selected strain should be stable after 4 or 5 generations. As far as bagging goes, there's no need to do that with Big Beef. All mater's are self-pollinating, and only large fruited varieties with an exerted stigma are in danger of cross pollination.

I do plan to graft several of my mater's this year. I just got a new rootstock variety to try this year, "Estamino F1" is a really popular and fruitful rootstock. I'm also going to graft to the Maxifort rootstock again this year. It was unfreaking real the vigor that it put under my plants the last time I used it!

drakeshooter likes this.
  3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I didn't raise a garden last year. But will this year. Already got mator pepper seeds started.

barney likes this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Last year was the first time in over 30 years that I didn't have a garden. It sucked big-time!

5. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Same here Barney. We put our place up for sale trying to move over to the farm. So figured we wouldn't have time to mess with a garden. We sure missed it. So this year there will be one. Missed those canned mators.

barney likes this.
  6. supergoat80

supergoat80 10 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    Another one of your magnificent threads I’ll be watching daily thanks Barney.

drakeshooter, Munson and barney like this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I got a few things accomplished in the greenhouse today.

I got my mater rootstock varieties sown. I'm going to use Maxifort again this year, and I am also trying another one that is new to me called Estamino. I learned the last time that the rootstocks need a few days headstart on the scion variety because the rootstock seed is tiny, about half the size of a regular mater seed. When grafting the two plants together, I need the stem diameters to match closely for a good success rate. The rootstock varieties are pretty pricey at 50-60¢/seed, so I definitely want a high success rate! I'll sow the scion seeds in 3 or 4 days, and I should be grafting plants in about a month.
    [​IMG]
    I also got cabbage and broccoli seed sown today. I'm growing 2 different cabbage varieties, one is called Artost, a really good fresh market variety that I used to grow to sell a few years back. The variety is pretty early, gets to weigh around 5 lbs., It's tender, tasty, and has a great field holding ability. I'm also growing and old cabbage that I haven't grown in 30 years called OS cross. I used to love the variety because of it's eatin' quality, but, the heads get so YUGE, no one would buy it. This year I'm not selling it, I'm gonna eat it! The broccoli variety I grow is Packman. I love it's flavor, and the profuse production of spears after the central head is harvested.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got some seedlings transplanted to flats to finish growing out before they are ready to be planted in the field. They were mainly pepper varieties I started under lights a few weeks ago. One is a big red bell pepper that came from Kroger. I've seen, and used a bunch of bell pepper over the years, but that thing had the thickest walls that I think I ever saw on a bell, so I saved a few seeds from it to grow this year. The other peppers are hot varieties, Cayenne, Tabasco, and 2 different peroncini types. I also had some sage, and parsley that I needed to transplant to bigger containers.
    [​IMG]
    I bought seed taters a couple of weeks ago because I didn't want to risk waiting, and not being able to get the 2 varieties I wanted. I also like to chit my taters for a few weeks before I plant them. So I went on and started chittin' them before the sprouts got to long.
    [​IMG]

TripleGee, Bee, Dark Cloud and 6 others like this.
  8. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Got the peas & greens (lettuce & spinach) out last night. Fingers crossed! We haven't had much luck gardening the past few years but then we were too busy with MIL to really go at it seriously. Hoping now that we have time, we can get a decent harvest. We'll still have to buy green beans though - my husband is allergic to something in the leaves & if one even touches him, it leaves him with big raw welts. He can eat green beans all day long but those leaves just tear him up!!! Gonna grow tomatoes to eat but will still have to buy a bunch for canning. No way we could grow enough to refill the pantry....

[​IMG]

9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Everything was perfect over the weekend to get a lettuce bed burned and sown. The wind was calm, and the soil moisture was just right!

I planted a mixture of my favorite lettuce varieties; Oak leaf, Royal oak leaf, Red sails, Green ice, and Lolla rossa.
    [​IMG]

Dark Cloud and HappyHunter like this.
  10. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 8 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    I believe I jumped the gun a bit. The lettuce and radishes I planted on the 13th just started germinating last night. Damn weatherman

barney likes this.
  11. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I planted lettuce, radishes, peas and turnips three weeks ago and they are just popping up now. I hope they will survive.

Attached Files:

barney likes this.
  12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I got a good germination on my cabbage and broccoli. Had I been doing this for marketing, I would have had plants ready to harden off to go into the field by the first of April.
    [​IMG]

The last week of March, first week of April is prime time to plant cabbage, broccoli, onion plants, onion sets, lettuce, and other cool season vegetables. I've learned over the years that the extra early starting of seeds, means a month of heating a greenhouse, with only a few days gained on harvest... if you're lucky.

bearleft likes this.
  13. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I’ll say one thing Barney,when you set out to do something ,you don’t mess around,you go all out ,my hats off to you,look forward to these summer follow up pics.

14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I love to eat!

15. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I agree. As i have said before..i have no idea who barney is in real life...but dammit..he is one of my heroes lol.