Garden, and REAL food Quest 2019

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Feb 28, 2019.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    After a few years of being a subject to what the grocer has to offer - I've reached my limit!

I was raised on real food, and have always had a taste for food that is picked in it's prime, actually has flavor, and wasn't bred with firmness, and fiber to withstand handling and shipping. I've looked and searched, and the quality of food I love just isn't there anymore. I guess I'll just go back to rolling my own! I'll try to keep this thread updated with my progress as the season go by.

2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Thank you for sharing it with us barney! I look forward to it.

barney likes this.
  3. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Barney I'm with ya. Just burnt lettuce bed Wednesday. You got any recommendations on flavorful tomato seeds for baloney samich's and canning ?
    The suddith you turned me on to was real good taste but man they are finicky to grow with little return.

drakeshooter and barney like this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The Brandywine's are as flavorful as it gets, but they aren't one to turn a profit with for sure.

Big Beef is a productive indeterminate that I have grown in a high tunnel as a main crop since the early 90's. I've enjoyed it, made money with it, and everyone loves it. Big Beef is close to old fashioned flavor, and it's not a "firm" variety like most that are offered today. It will average about 8 ounces, with several larger up to 1 pound. It's also a dandy canning mater.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Edit to add another picture of Big Beef.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Munson, bondhu and drakeshooter like this.
  5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Been a long time since I heard the phrase "Rolling your own"

barney likes this.
  6. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005

l hope this doesnt mean you are not going to be full bore participant on this thread anymore? Been first thing I check about every morning for a good while Sure would hate to see Barney leave us out here by ourselves trying to figger out dinner.

carnivore and barney like this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I hope to be posting more farm to table dishes instead of mostly grocery to table this year. I'd really like to get a couple of pigs to fatten, and maybe a few meat chickens. I just don't think I will have enough time along with work to get it all done.

Feedman likes this.
  8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    My mom and dad ,would always buy a hundred baby chicks,raise them up to fryer size,and pick out a few to keep,and put the rest in the freezer.

barney likes this.
  9. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Can you take seeds from fresh tomatoes and peppers and any other vegetable bought from store and dry the seeds and replant?

10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Yes, most definitely. I have some bell pepper seedlings growing from a pepper I bought last fall.

11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Years ago an old friend told me about how his mother raised fryers almost year round. They didn't have refrigeration back then, so in the summer his mother would kill chickens after dark to keep the flies from blowing the meat. He said she would kill a dishpan full, salt the meat down and cover it with a dishcloth. Early the next morning she would fry it all up and fill the lunch buckets for work and school. What was left over would keep without refrigeration for a couple of days, or until it was gone. Then his mother would start over.

He said she brooded the chicks in an earthen cellar heated with coal oil lamps.

bondhu and Dark Cloud like this.
  12. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Barney do you wash them and put in paper towel to let dry and store in fridge and then what's the next step

13. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Straw bales gardening. Anybody ever done this, Is it better than using buckets

14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I dry them for a few weeks, then I store them in the freezer.

In the late 80's I wrote to a guy who worked for Tabasco on Avery island. I asked him for some Tabasco pepper seeds. He sent me 6 or 7 whole peppers from the island. I grew some back then, and froze the rest of the dried peppers whole. I started a few of those this year as well, the seeds are 30 years old, and germinated just as good as fresh seeds!

15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've never tried straw bales, but for the first time in my life I grew a tater in a tub of composted wood chips last year.