Garden 2022

Brit's and Birds

10 pointer
Nov 24, 2008
Oldham County
Do you all can your pickles? Mine always end up mushy when I can them. I make refrigerator pickles with mine. They are delicious but only last a month or so that way, so I always end up playing beat the clock to eat them in time or give a bunch away.

bigpuddin43

12 pointer
Feb 21, 2007
bucktown
Do you all can your pickles? Mine always end up mushy when I can them. I make refrigerator pickles with mine. They are delicious but only last a month or so that way, so I always end up playing beat the clock to eat them in time or give a bunch away.
ours are canned. the wife ices them down before canning I think getting them as cold as possible helps to keep them crisp. but she is the expert I just grow the cucumbers.

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
It seams a bit early for tobacco worms but none the less pulled the first one off this morning while watering.

F1412915-E9BE-4BD3-9426-964F3E0FEBC3.jpeg

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
Y'all are killing me with the cucumbers/pickles!!!!! All we've got so far are little nubbins with the blossoms still attached....

Picked my first zucchini this morning though. A yellow one from a volunteer plant that sprouted up on it's own & we left it to see what it was. Funny thing is, we've never grown yellow zucchini so we have no idea where it came from.... Got a yellow crook-neck squash too. Hope to get a few more this weekend so I can batter & fry up a batch!

It seams a bit early for tobacco worms but none the less pulled the first one off this morning while watering.

View attachment 102460

I had half my peppers ate to the stems last week and they’d started in on my maters. I picked off all I could find then waited til the heat of the middle of the day when the pollinators weren’t out and hit them with Permethrin. An hour later they were hanging dead or on the ground and I couldn’t believe how many there were at least 20. I’ve ordered up some Bt that won’t bother the pollinators.

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
I pour the hot brine over my pickles and then into a spare fridge where they remain until consumed. Jars all seal and pickles are crisp.

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
Grumble.... grumble.... Even with us running hoses & watering every other day, the garden is giving up. The yellow squash & zucchini have stopped blooming, the cucumbers aren't setting on (we're only getting maybe 2-3 a day), and the last stuff we planted (more summer squash, more cukes, okra, winter squash) has simply cooked in the ground.

Every day they predict rain/storms & every day, we watch it sail past us - yesterday, the storm cells divided, went around us, and then reformed all within about a 5 mile range. It's been well over a week since we got rain. The yard is dead. D-E-A-D. As in brown & crackling when you walk across it. Nothing can take this type of heat without water & we're saving our water to try to keep the garden alive in hopes this dry spell will eventually break.

Looks like I'll be heading towards a produce auction in search of cucumbers for pickles unless anyone near L'burg has some they'd want to sell.

Latest posts