Garden 2019

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Ataulbe1, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Well its that time of year again! The garden is tilled up and ready to put seed in the ground. First year my son is old enough to truly help (and ask 1 million questions :D) i have radish, turnips, lettuce, kale, potatoes, peas going in this week. Corn, tomatoes, beans, peppers, spinach going in next week. Peaches, pears, and 2 apples are already bloomed. What's everyone planting this year?
    20190329_194456-1024x4918.jpg

2. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Will you peaches pears and apples really produce

3. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    2016/2017 yes. Last year we got nothing from peaches, pears or apples. Late frost killed everything. Hoping we have better luck this year.

4. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Did you get frost bit last night?

5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    My Apple trees have not popped out leaves yet but pear trees did a week ago.. 31 degrees here in Waco this morning..

6. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I think tomorrow morning is gonna be the one to look out for, hopefully thats the last hurrah for frost.

7. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Brrrrr .. I guess I can't complain last year at this time I was up in NH and we got 12" of snow the last of March or the 1st of April.. we ended up with over 100" total for the winter.

8. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Threw up a little in my mouth when I read kale..lol

9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    One of the main things I'm craving this year is some good watermelons.

10. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    I have always followed advice from my great Aunts...never put out anything above ground before May 15th (no frost after that date)...below ground (potatoes, peas, etc) are fine...just be careful about them germinating too soon...

These were ladies who followed a subsistence agricultural lifestyle (the last one passed away about 25 years ago)--raising what they consumed (always raised a couple of pigs, a small flock of chickens, usually a cow or goat for milk, and a couple of large gardens)...they raised and canned tomatoes, peppers, onions, lettuce, cabbage, potatoes, corn (most went to the mill to be ground up), beets, several varieties of green beans, etc (most from their own seeds)...they churned their own butter...

There were apple trees, peach trees, cherry trees, paw paw trees, etc on the property...they would hull out walnuts to use with cakes and around the holidays...

I remember they would travel to a grocery store about twice a year...flour, sugar, yeast, coffee, kosher salt (they did not use iodized salt--resulted in thyroid issues with one of them), vinegar, Dial brand soap and sometimes lard (if running low on bacon grease)--all in large quantities since it was expected to last about six months...and mason jars...lots of mason jars and lids...

They also boiled every ounce of water they consumed...kept a couple of big deep stock pots filled with "boiled" water all the time...grab a glass and the ladle and help yourself...

Recurve77, Carl, Munson and 2 others like this.
  11. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    My dad never would plant ,certain vegetables,before the first three days of May,other than potatoes,peas,lettuce,nothing else.It always worked for me also .

barney likes this.
  12. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 8 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    I’ve planted warm weather veggies like tomato, cucumber, eggplant, etc. as early as early April before. It didn’t do any better or produce any sooner than other plants that I put out in early May. Not to mention I had to cover plants to protect from frost more than once. I’ve got lettuce and radishes sprouting now and I planted broccoli and kale sets last week. I won’t plant anything else till first week of May.

Recurve77, barney and Dark Cloud like this.
  13. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Whats your tips on the melons? Ive tried for years w/out much luck. Last year they done great..im thinking it was all the rain they got.

14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Watermelons like plenty of moisture for sure, but they also need plenty of sun and dryer conditions when the fruit starts ripening. When I grow them I put a drip line down each row so I can make sure that they get the water they need early on.

As far as tips go, watermelons need to be kept as weed free as possible, they are heavy feeders, and they shouldn't be crowded.