Game Cart

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by jrfrmn, Sep 16, 2015.

1. jrfrmn

jrfrmn Fawn

Dec 23, 2005
    I am curious on how most hunters get their deer or elk out after getting one? Which would be easier, just quartering an elk and packing it out a quarter at a time or is it possible to use a cart and take half of the elk with two or three hunters?

2. screamin6x6

screamin6x6 BBBC Members

Aug 29, 2004
    Wayland, Ky.
    In most cases, quartering and packing an elk.

3. jrfrmn

jrfrmn Fawn

Dec 23, 2005
    I would assume that is due to the uneven terrain, being steep and too thick to get a cart through or is it that nobody chooses to use one? For one person here it takes most of the work off you. It is much easier to cart a 200# deer than to drag it 200 yrds. Would it be possible to use a cart there with 2 or 3 people?

4. dpowers

dpowers 6 pointer

Jun 26, 2009
    Shelbyville
    It would take a big cart and then you have to load it and pull it. I hate hauling a deer up hill on a cart almost as bad as dragging up hill. Flat land is different but can't imagine hauling an elk on a cart.

If you have 3 people quarter the elk and carry out.

5. screamin6x6

screamin6x6 BBBC Members

Aug 29, 2004
    Wayland, Ky.

During my years outfitting and guiding, we recovered dozens of elk in East Ky. just about any way you could imagine. We pulled them out with trucks, 4 wheelers, side-by-sides, hand. On sleds / Not on sleds. Cut them in half and drug by hand. Quartered and carried. I've used a cart for many things in the mountains, recovering an elk is not one of them. I don't even like to haul a deer out on one unless it's a semi-level, established trail, and yes, I have quartered and carried deer out of tough places in Ky. as well. They're just not that efficient in uneven terrain. The tires sink in the dirt/mud, they try to flip over whenever you have to side-hill, etc. From what I've seen, you usually end up with 3 or four guys at the end that wish you would have just carried it out. Not worth the headache to me. Depending on the terrain. You'll use just as much or more energy trying to cart something that heavy out, than you would have just quartering it out and packing.

6. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    I think 6x6 is correct. If you get one down at the bottom of one of the pits, using a cart would be darn near impossible. Walking out of it is hard enough. Would rather have a quarter on my back and trying it then a cart. Even if you quartered and put the quarter on a cart it would be hard. We use one for deer and it really comes in handy but the terrain is completely different. I think the terrain in Eastern KY strip pits is harder to navigate then when I hunted in CO and WY.
    When I got drawn, was lucky enough we could get a four wheeler sxs close to it. Just getting it to the four wheeler and then up on the truck was a chore.

Best advice, shoot it close to a road. LOL. Good luck its the experience of a lifetime for sure.

7. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    I use a cart I have adapted with big fat wheels and I have seen some Dually styles in the woods. But for the most part Florida is pretty dang flat. I could see it not being very helpful in KY.

Edit for deer I rarely use the cart, but some of the hogs here can hit 200# very easily.