Gaiters

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by xbokilla, Sep 7, 2019.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Anyone wear them? What’s a good deal without dropping too much dime for a guy with tree trunk legs? I got a Cabela’s boot with attachable gators deal that’s about 10 years old. Still workable but been thinking of getting another pair that are easy on/off with any boot.

2. mac0492

mac0492 8 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    My wife bought me a pair of “U.S. Solid snake gaiters” off of amazon before my last trip out west. They are awesome. About $50. We’ll worth the peace of mind though. I can’t buy a new leg for $50.

3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I saw those. Look nice. Knight and Hale has some reasonable ones on there.

4. mac0492

mac0492 8 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    There’s a video showing them being tested with a ballon inside them. No one was brave enough to put their leg in there and test it. The more expensive turtle ones have someone actually wearing them while they are tested but they were too rich for my blood.

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Like I said, I got an older boot/gaiter combo but hadn’t bought any early season boots in quite sometime so picked up a pair of leather non insulated goretex and thought I might find a reasonable gaiter to go with them. I may consider those US Solids. Prime can get em here quick.

6. Stone Branch

Stone Branch Fawn

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY
  7. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Are you wanting snake gaiters or just gaiters for wet/snow/rain? I bought a pair of snake gaiters from Cabelas. Use em in TX turkey hunting. Haven't had to snake test em but I know I feel better with em than without em.

8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Snake. Never see any where I hunt. A little concerned about my September elk hunt in EKy. More of an assurance/confidence thing I’d say. Honestly, when I’m in the woods I rarely think about it.

9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    BTW I bought these. Haven’t tried them out yet but like how light and flexible. Seem to be designed well. Thanks!

mac0492 likes this.
  10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I wear mucks..... No worries.

11. For what it is worth, I have hunted and roamed E. KY woods (Floyd, Knott, Johnson, Lawrence, Pike and Breathitt counties) for decades and only ever saw one rattler in the Paintsville Lake area when a friend ran over it on a dirtbike and flipped it into the lap of a friend who bailed off and let the snake keep his bike. Both snake and rider were unharmed. I have spotted only two copperheads all of these years. One was being eaten by a black snake and the other I nearly stepped on while hiking in Southern OH. Never seen a cottonmouth.

I know they are in there but they are pretty hard to find. I do keep a snakebite kit with me when hunting.

xbokilla likes this.