Fur worth saving ?

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
Im not out to get rich, but hate to see waste. I mainly want to thin the turkey nest predating coons and coyotes, and noticed a muskrat den in the pond bank tonight, so he needs to go too.
So, do you guys even bother skinning and drying the hides for sale ? I hate to kill anything and not utilize it in some way, but these critters i consider varmints, just like a rat ! I would take the time though if i thought i could sell anything

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Save male coon tooth picks. I tan some special ones for friends, even done groundhogs. Usually save tails for decorations but I do that with squirrels and g hogs too. Muskrats I cut the legs and head off for coyote sets, throw rest in the ditch. Save all my bladder contents when I can, money saved is money made.

Bobcat, coyote, otter, mink and fox are still worth selling or getting mounted and selling mounts. Otherwise if I don’t tan it myself or use for bait it’s not worth the gas to “try” to sell it.

Im trapping for turkeys and chickens mostly and helping a couple farmers.

I brain tanned my fox from Friday, if that sounds nasty, I assure you, it is much much worse. I have a wall of skins I've tanned just for kicks.

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
Save male coon tooth picks. I tan some special ones for friends, even done groundhogs. Usually save tails for decorations but I do that with squirrels and g hogs too. Muskrats I cut the legs and head off for coyote sets, throw rest in the ditch. Save all my bladder contents when I can, money saved is money made.

Bobcat, coyote, otter, mink and fox are still worth selling or getting mounted and selling mounts. Otherwise if I don’t tan it myself or use for bait it’s not worth the gas to “try” to sell it.

Im trapping for turkeys and chickens mostly and helping a couple farmers.

I brain tanned my fox from Friday, if that sounds nasty, I assure you, it is much much worse. I have a wall of skins I've tanned just for kicks.
Id like to try tanning some for projects if nothing else, being a traditional bowhunter, im around a lot of people that might would purchase a tanned hide to make quivers, pouches and stuff. Is there an easy in the bottle type potion that will do this. I understand brain tanning is alot of work. Soon to be retired, i will have more time to do such things.

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
There's a fur sale every year in Etown usely late February or March not sure this year. It's fun to get little something out of them and every once in a while you get surprised!!
I had 56 muskrats one year got $18 out of most some was just 15/16 but I was ok with it LoL
How many years ago ? Stretched and dried?

Trapper Delk

12 pointer
Feb 10, 2020
Central Kentucky.
LoL. Yes put up dried fur. It's been few years,. Don't get your hopes up... It was our little fur boom.
Coons was $30
Redfox $75
Otter $125
Bobcats around $150 depending on belly color
Coyotes are always all over the place but they brought good.
Muskrats mine was $18
Beavers depends on size
I'm afraid we'll never see those prices again....
But that year they said early fall coon price was going to be $6 to $9 ... And that fall they said rats was $1.25 to $3.25.....

Velvet ears

8 pointer
Nov 6, 2013
West KY
My teenage son wants to try his hand at tanning his 1st trapped coyote fur. Someone please point me in the right place for a diy step by step. He put a few small holes in it while skinning out, but its more about the experience than the final product on this one.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
My teenage son wants to try his hand at tanning his 1st trapped coyote fur. Someone please point me in the right place for a diy step by step. He put a few small holes in it while skinning out, but its more about the experience than the final product on this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Brain-Tanning-the-Sioux-Way/dp/B002ARNNTQ

Brain tanning is easiest way if you don’t have a lot of supplies. Plenty of videos on YouTube. Did a fox this year. Came out very supple.

countryboy3006

6 pointer
Jan 28, 2015
Northern KY
I am going to try Rittels EZ tan this year on a few pelts. I read some good things about it. Hopefully it turns out good.