funny fishing stories

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by bgkyarcher, Feb 20, 2021.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Got plenty of stories but as far as funny...Dad and I used to do a little 3 Day Father/Son Trout trip to Hiwassee in ETN. This was early 2000s midMarch. One time we were on the bank and got into the trout big time. Down the River we see a couple of guys fishing, or attempting to. They were loud and banging around. They kicked on the generators and the River came up and they barely got to the bank on the opposite side. So we continue to fish and caught a few more but it was slow. When they cut the generators and the River started going back down, sure enough our honey hole heated up again. We were throwing black rooster tails with silver blade and catching one about every cast. Well, these two guys gradually start wading toward us. Some of the pools were deep and they’d have to get up on rocks. Well, let’s just say those rocks were pretty slick after being covered by water just a few mins before and I’m thinking these were some novice trout fishermen because their boots were rubber bottomed, not felt. Needless to say, those two dudes fell off every rock and into every cold deep pool in the River. It was hilarious. I thought my old man was gonna piss himself he laughed so hard. Finally, they make it close to us and there was a big flat rock they could actually balance on and both stripped down. Waders full of water and gosh was it cold water. Well they didn’t invade our honey hole, they were so cold they loaded up and left. They did make enough racket that the bite wasn’t very good after that. We made that same trip for several years and dad would always say, “I wonder if ol Huey and Dewey are gonna show up? Maybe this time they’ll bring Louie?” We still laugh and talk about that.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Brody, TripleGee, FF/EMT516 and 8 others like this.
  2. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Back to charter fishin and kingfishing. I was working on a little 28’ hat call the Dijinn, absolutely miserable little boat. Anyway, I used a long gaff prolly 8-10’, I was leadering thins kingfish up, had it ready to stick, reached my gaff hook out there about 2-3’ to stick the fish, went to stick the hook in the fish but felt the gaff stop behind me, I jabbed at it a couple more times, same result. I’m gettin pissed, fish is laid up there pretty, I want it in the box dead, I try to gaff it again same result, now there’s no bulkheads behind me so idk what I’m hitting, turn around and look back I’ve hit a client right square between the eyes with the butt end of my gaff hook about 4 times and was about to do it again. Guess he didn’t have sense enough to just move his head just a little and get out of the way.

TripleGee, Nock, bondhu and 9 others like this.
  3. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    Literally LOL’d.

Capttrae likes this.
  4. jblack1

jblack1 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    barney likes this.
  5. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    I was fishing island lake on peabody was getting up around lunch time. Got up to the pull off on the upper end. There on the hood of a car laid a couple I'd guess mid 60s naked as could be enjoying the sun. When they saw me they jumped up jumped in the car and took off like some teenagers. Some things in life you can't unsee.

Nock, Munson, jblack1 and 5 others like this.
  6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    McFly?

7. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Don’t understand the question.

8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    lol. seriously Clarke? Pounding on his head....

mcfly.jpg

xbokilla, Nock and Capttrae like this.
  9. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Why am I not surprised.

Giveem3outdoors and Tankt like this.
  10. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Y’all tell me if y’all want me to shut up bc I’ve got a pile of them.
    Let’s go commercial fishing. I was fishing with Big Joe McKinney, on the Capt Joe, 42’ Provencial hull. Anyway that’s irrelevant. It was middle of the summer and we are fishin with Bog Joe, an absolute legend, literally in a class of his own. You want to catch big Copperbellies and sow snappers and lots of them, you go fishin with Big Joe if you are lucky enough to get an invite.
    Anyway we are out there pickin poggies, a few Beeliners, and triggers, just fishin trash fish, pickin maybe half a basket per stop and we are grinding on a piece of bottom, fish, move a boat length fish, move a boat length fish, trying to draw up, ice, and chop bait in between. We are all kind of bitching and whining about pickin trash fish and fishin with big Joe. Well I guess he could hear us. He comes back there his face 3 different shades of purple and pissed. Looks at us says y’all want to catch a grouper fine cut them #%^#^% stringin gears off and put on a one hook gear. We should’ve known right then we had done fd up. He goes back inside lays them throttles on the dash and runs and runs and runs. When he stops he hollers here see if y’all came catch one. Our baits literally just hit bottom and we were quickly taught a hard lesson fishin with Joe, he catches what he wants to catch when he wants to catch it. All 6 bandits loaded up, aand our pickin poles loaded up as quick as we hit bottom. And that’s when we got schooled. We never even checked one of them up. Never had a chance. They took our junk and left us standing with our thumbs up our butts. I got back up with a bandit threw another rig on and stopped it about 1/3 of the way down, caught one black about 40.
    Joe came back there looked around, said I didn’t think so. Y’all put them stringin gears back on. We were a dejected bunch catching trash the rest of the trip

bondhu, Nock and Trapper Delk like this.
  11. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    We used to catch teenagers all the time out there coon hunting. They'd see a light and clothes would go flying. Heck I've been the teenager out there several times lol. But that was definitely the worst site I've seen out there.

Nock likes this.
  12. KYtrapper2005

KYtrapper2005 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2021
    Allen county
    My funniest is probably the time I was Fishing under shade trees with a Texas rig and my line went tight and I set the hook and sent a 6” bass flying through the air. I hollered for my buddy dalton I said “he’s a hog! Has to be at least 8” he walked over and I said “ounces”

I also was fishing for bluegill with a little boy who I bought a fishing pole for it had a broken tip and was 7 bucks at rural king and the boys dad and sister she’s 2 I believe. And that boy beat be up one side and down the other he must have reeled in 20! And I showed him how to take them off so his dad could fish. Every cast he would pull em in!

I also got to help that little girl catch her first fish! That was awesome love to see young ones fishing, hunting, and trapping!

13. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I’ve got one that’s not funny, it’s just one of those stories that 99% of folks would say I’m just making stuff up, but I swear this is exactly what happened, no embellishing.
    Me and another guy about my age were running trips on the Mary M, we were on a 12 hour late in the season. Had a pretty good trip going, had our jacks, about half our snappers, few groupers and some trash. I had a flat line out tryin to pick a kingfish, it gets a bite and line goes to peeling off and I’m fishing a pretty tight drag bc I always ran 40lb for my main line. It’s literally not two seconds later and I’m starting to see the spool, I start hollering at Thomas to back down on the fish, the horns move to the sides as he’s backing the boat down, they finally get their bottom gears wound up, and we get caught up with the fish and making a little headway. I hand the pole off, we get back about half a spool of line, fish takes off again, dumps the reel again. Blame fish did that 4-5 time in the first part of the fight, about 20-30 mins in to the fight the fish turns and runs straight at the boat. I’m hollering reel reel reel reel, dude is reeling for all he’s worth, fish runs past the boat, gets up past the bow, then goes directly under the boat on the starboard side, and comes out the port side. So picture this, I’ve got a hucklebuck standing at the starboard bullwerk looking towards the bow of the boat, I’ve got the fish on the port quarter headed the other direction. Now this next part I still can’t explain, the damn fish decided to just stop, my horn can’t reel, his line is around the rudder and the fish is out there sulking. I could see the line in the water, grabbed my long gaff, got the line, told Thomas to come back there and cut the line as close to the water line as possible while I held on to it and and the rod tip, he did that, we tied a quick blood knot splicing the lines back together, and literally no sooner than we did that, the fish took off again and ran straight through a big patch of Sargasum weed. Now we’ve got a badly frayed line, a splice in the frayed line, sargasum weed hanging off the already frayed line sliding up and down it, a fish that’s been hooked for about 45 mins so you know the hooks have done wallered out a hole in its mouth. I’ve got the drag backed way off. Fish made one more run then we worked him in, he rolled up beside the boat, I stuck him and put him in the box. Ended up being a wahoo that weighed 40lbs at the dock. All I can figure is it was just that fishes day to die. Everything that could’ve gone wrong went wrong and we still caught him.

14. It’s not really funny, to me anyway, but I had a small winged insect of some kind fly into my ear while night fishing Kentucky Lake. It got all the way up against my ear drum and every time it would start flapping its wings I’d lose my balance and coordination. We tried to flush it out with water but that just made it stick. The drive home was nearly maddening but his wife used a baby suction thing to pull it out my ear. We went back and fished til mid-morning next day.

TripleGee, bondhu, Feedman and 3 others like this.
  15. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    [​IMG]
    this was down at chickamaugua. I was fishing alone in my boat. Throwing a jerkbait. My buddys were fishing 50yds away in the same pocket. My net was in my rod locker. So when I hooked into this stud, I was kinda helpless. She was making runs like a striper, which is what I thought it was. My buddy’s trolled over to me and net it for me from their boat.

BigBenny, xbokilla, Feedman and 3 others like this.