funny fishing stories

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by bgkyarcher, Feb 20, 2021.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    He's done everything on a boat short of running drugs, I think. lol. Cap Trae is da man.

2. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    That’s where I got my start on boats think I was 19 or 20, been makin a living on one kind of boat or another for the past 23-24 years. 22 more and that’ll be a wrap

3. BigBenny

BigBenny Spike

Jan 14, 2021
    Lex
    Today as the temps hit 60 and the sun was shining I thought it would be a great day for fishing.
    Drove 45 minutes to my spot on Elkhorn Creek and found the river was higher than Willie Nelson:mad:
    Figured I’d at least wet the line and give it a shot considering I made the drive, after an hour with no luck I snagged the bottom and in the process of getting my Ned rig back I slipped on the bank, right into the drink.. filled up my waders and had to drive home in nothing but my shitkickers and a smile.
    Never have I hoped to not get in a fender bender or pulled over by a cop more than today, that sure woulda been awkward

4. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I bet it was cold!

BigBenny likes this.
  5. BigBenny

BigBenny Spike

Jan 14, 2021
    Lex
    Oh yeah it was brisk, I’m sure glad I didn’t get swept out into the current that’s for sure

6. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
  7. BigBenny

BigBenny Spike

Jan 14, 2021
    Lex
    Like a spooked turtle!

barney, Nock, FF/EMT516 and 2 others like this.
  8. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Cap, you need to write a book about all your stories fishing and job wise. Be great camping or bathroom reading. Seriously.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  9. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    I've done a lot of dumbass things but one humbling experience was on the ol Pumphouse Pond here in Somerset. Me and bud Danny were in one of those plastic Bass Hunters about 10 foot long, me in front him in back by trolling motor. Well, I was on fire that day with the purple 6 inch worm, catching bass off bout every snag or stickup. There was a few folks on the bank and I heard one lil feller ask his daddy, "Why can't we catch fish like that daddy?" Of course I'm sure it pissed him a little and I sat there feeling all cocky and shit when all of a sudden, BAM! Yep, Bass Fishing Machine Greene hangs another one! Well, I commence to set the hook, lean back hard and "CRACK!!!" broke the dang seat, backwards I went into the water, all the way under and up I come listening to raucous laughter from the bank folks and of course best bud Danny! Deservedly so I might add. Then, friend Danny started the trolling motor and pulled the boat away from me! Bastard! So, eventually he came back but it was milked for every laugh and rude comment you could imagine. I deserved it.
    I did manage to catch and release the bass while standing in neck deep water. Smelled like bottom mud for a couple of days also.
    I got the message Lord, thank ye kindly!

jblack1, BigBenny, barney and 6 others like this.
  10. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Thank you

11. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Seen something similar kinda. We were fishin snappers, 3 man deck, 2 bandits per man, 2- 30 hook stringin gears per bandit, you’d fish one while taking fish off and rebaiting the other. You gotta be damn careful fishing gear that long. Anyway ol boy has just snapped on a fresh gear, grabs his window weight throws it over the rail but isn’t watching his off hand, gear wraps around his fingers. 1 hook per finger right at the knuckle. Thankfully none went in the bone. He’s standing there with 5 hooks in his hand and a 10lb window weight hanging off them. I kid you not, the Capt picks up a dirty ass bait knife, makes a slice across the bend of each hook to get the hooks out of dudes fingers. Dude runs the gear down, pours bleach on his fingers, wraps them in black tape, sparks up a doobie and never missed a lick.

jblack1, Nock, Feedman and 3 others like this.
  12. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    While I tend to agree, I think that he probably has material much more worthy of "bathroom reading" lol. Although the captain is well written, I prefer BigBenny's style of writing for some reason, perhaps because it is more lighthearted. I believe that it would be a worthy endeavor for him to take some prose classes while in school and further develop his gift for storytelling, in order to balance out his major which surely will involve much technical writing. I would hate to see such ruin his natural talent. He always amuses me.

I have quite a few funny fishing stories, but they are all saltwater and thereby best left for elsewhere.

13. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    You do realize all my fishin stories are saltwater right? Or does someone with your extensive knowledge of all things saltwater not understand the common name snapper, grouper and kingfish. Better yet just for once try to keep your thumbs off the keyboard or are you now going to add in that you were also a professional fisherman in your flights of fancy?

14. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Good morning and yes, Captain, I easily recall our private conversations about your fishing, finding all quite fascinating. I was simply in no mood to share any of my own fishing stories with all, for missing a dear friend whom was out night fishing in Florida last night, and I was attempting to be polite about it. I would like to see you write a few books about your ventures upon the sea, once settled into your new residence, and I would even kindly act as your editor. Have a blessed morning.

15. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Cant see the ignorant drivel but assume you're talking red snapper. ;)

Nock likes this.