funny fishing stories

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by bgkyarcher, Feb 20, 2021.

1. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    U need to get Ms Nock her own boat.

2. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Yep, all 4 gotta know what they’re doing. Only time I’ve had an accident getting hit with a hook was an alabama rig to the back of the head. Didn’t get hooked but I had a headache for a little

3. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I’ve had a hook in me twice. Both times from someone else. Wife got me in the ear last year. Cousins crankbait in the knee many years ago. The most painful was a small channel cat that my buddy caught once. Water was shallow and it was close to the bank. When he set the hook it pulled fish out of water and straight into my knee. One of the side fins buried up. Bleed like hell and hurt the same.

4. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    At Barren River with my uncle and cousins a few years ago I was walking through grass to the shore and stepped on a catfish carcass. Damn side fin went through my Crocs and about an inch into my foot. Hurt and bled like a mf'r.

Feedman likes this.
  5. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Or a shorter fishing pole :D

Feedman and 1wildcatfan like this.
  6. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    When I was a kid seen a guy on other side of the river and guy right beside us was cussing him under his breath and casting hard. Then he started to bounce that rod ever so slightly and other guy would grab at his pole, he smiled and told us to watch when that guy turned his head he gave a big jerk and that other guy pole went flying in to the water, that guy Wade out waist deep trying to find it ,. Lol

7. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I bet that it was sore as all get out in a couple of days

8. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Indeed it was. I hobbled for about 4 days. The squirt of blood through my Croc scared the crap outta me when I saw it. Thought it was gonna be much worse when I took it off.

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I was fishing with my grandpa and his older buddy one day. My grandpa was in his late 70's, Barney was early 80’s. Fishing a pond. Barney always sat in lawn chair. He caught a pound or so cat. He got it to the bank, and Papa reached down to get it. Barney gave a yank and the fish inpaled Papa’s knee. Stuck a pec fin and was suspended there, flopping. Papa was not amused. Barney laughed and laughed. Papa not so much.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Nock and Trapper Delk like this.
  10. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Oh lord, where do I start. Let me just say this, when you are fishing horns from March to October every day, it’s all one bug comedy. I’ve seen guys bring their catfish rods and tell me they can catch anything on it, so I’ve got them set up to try to catch big thunder jacks (amberjacks) after I’ve told them several times it’s a bad idea, seen them hook a fish, watched the reelseat shatter and watch the reel take out every guide on the way overboard. Seen guys put a guy bucket around their neck.
    The one I caught the most hell for, had 10-12 guys from Dothan Al on the boat, we’d had a good day, one guy was drunk and tellin me he wanted to catch a bog fish, I politely told him he couldn’t handle a big fish. He kept on and on so I finally got pissed off and said fine here. Put on a 125lb leader 12/0 jap hook and a 14” trigger fish told him to run it down and see if he could do anything with it.
    Fish ate, went straight in the bottom, now I’m seriously pissed. Told the hucklebuck in no uncertain terms that I told him he couldn’t handle a bog fish and he just proved it to everybody on the boat. Took the rod from him, gave him a two hook gear and said here go catch a Beeliner. I grabbed the rod he had the fish on and put the reel on click, about 5 mins later I hear the reel start clicking, fish had came out of the hole, I grabbed the rod, threw the reel in gear and went to pullin on that fish, the charter party all gathered up around me. I told them y’all are SOL, I’m catching this one. Got the fish to the boat, Plummer came down and gaffed it, big ol copperbelly. Got back to the dock it weighed 45lbs round. For two weeks all I heard was hey Trae you going to catch the clients fish today?
    Another one, it was late in the season, prolly mid October, kingfish had finally shown up thick. Had a half day, there was me and Polly Ball on the No Problem, Jim Guinn and Toothycritter (don’t remember the guys actual name) on the Genie. I really felt bad for toothycritter later, but me and Polly ball pull up, and I just go to gettin them, caught 16 head right quick, went back in offloaded our party, loaded more ice and bait and went back out there commercial fishing and caught another 50-60head right in front of Jim and Toothycritter. Honestly Jim should’ve left and not embarrassed his deckhand like that.
    Another kingfish story and I’ll shut up. Polly ball always bragged about how he was the best kingfishermam on the dock, he there was about 5 boats that all had half day trips that morning, I was decking for John Law, Polly was on the no problem and you had all three of the Kelley Cartel boats fishing. Me and John stopped short to try a different place while the rest ran on down to the rock pile, we trolled around for a bit didn’t catch nothin, picked up and ran on down with the rest of the bunch. Figuring if we weren’t going to catch anything may as well do it with the rest of the guys that weren’t catching anything. I’ll be honest, idk what I did different from them, but we pulled up in the same circle with everybody else and I went to gettin them, one right after another. Polly ball got so mad there when he picked up there was black smoke Rollin out of the exhaust.

11. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Copper belly ???? Some sorta Grouper?

12. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Male gag grouper

bgkyarcher and Nock like this.
  13. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    It hurts like hell. I bet he wasn’t haha.

14. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I’ve hung couple things before. Couldn’t do nothing with them. First time it ruined that big Penn reel. They had to give me another. Other time fought it for bit. Finally broke me off. Deckhand said it was probably a warsaw.

drakeshooter and Capttrae like this.
  15. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I had no idea you worked on a fishing boat I thought you worked on barges.