funny fishing stories

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by bgkyarcher, Feb 20, 2021.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I'm so ready to start fishing this year.... Share some funny stories. I'll start with this one....
    Me and a buddy were fishing a tournament in the early 90's. We were fishing junk in Devil's elbow. We had a milk run in that area that always produced a pretty good bag. A lady and 2-3 kids were fishing on the bank next to the little dock. There is/was a water culvert there that had some brush out in front it. This lady was sitting right on top of it, but she had her rod casted out to the side. My buddy pitched a jig right in front of her. Bam, 4 pounder. Brought it in the boat, and one of the kids said, "Why didn't you catch that one Granny?" lmao. I could have crawled under the boat.

2. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Dunno about funny but heard many a cussings and a few fights at paylakes in the 80's. I was a young impressionable kid of about 12 but I learned from others never to toss your bait close to anyone else, ESPECIALLY not someone who just caught a fish.

I saw a few bobbers get shot at and sunk. Shit like that would land someone in jail nowadays. I remember a lot of guys would be drinking beer all day. Then about 5 or 6 they would be getting rowdy. In the times before cell phones they would just holler back and forth across the lake to carry on a conversation. Some guys brought grills and were more than happy to share with kids.

All in all paylakes have provided me with a tremendous amount of memories. Young kids getting dropped off at daylight and picked up after dark with only $5 in our pockets. That may be called abandonment nowadays lol.

3. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Fishing was always a family affair for us growing up. 4 people in a 15 foot Terry bass tri-hull throwing top water. I recall one time my mother throwing her bait (a 3 inch pop-r in Bone color) up next to the bank just as she had put a snickers in her mouth for a bite. Well when the plug hit the water, a bass devoured it catching her off guard. Well she proceeds to set the hook kind of off kilter and rolled right out of her seat and into the water. When she popped back up that half eaten snicker bar was still sticking out of her mouth lol. I’ll never forget that sight!!!

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Fishing three in the boat often resulted in somebody with a lure buried in flesh for us.....

Feedman and Meatstick like this.
  5. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Never works well bass fishing. I can handle it crappie fishing or Barkley Lake shell crackers. To hell with 3 on a boat bass fishing lol

00noturkey, Feedman and bgkyarcher like this.
  6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    It’s a disaster with kids. Lol

Feedman and Meatstick like this.
  7. FF/EMT516

FF/EMT516 Fawn

Nov 22, 2020
    Blackrock, Ky
    Was fishing a watershed near the Grayson/Butler county line with my brother, we were in our Jon boat near the dam and there’s rip rap (or whatever it’s called) rocks all over the dam and my brother gets hung up on them. Sitting there jerking on it and it comes loose and a bullet weight cracks him right between the eyes and blood starts running down. It wasn’t funny for him but I may have giggled a little.

00noturkey and Feedman like this.
  8. FF/EMT516

FF/EMT516 Fawn

Nov 22, 2020
    Blackrock, Ky
    Also was crappie fishing another watershed with a buddy and when I casted out my line broke and he hollered. I had hooked him in the back of the head and casted so hard it broke the line. He was less than thrilled.

Capttrae, jblack1 and Feedman like this.
  9. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    Just thought of something. so ever often. i'd forget to put the plug in the boat., only happened 3 times, with my Jon boats, over the years. the funniest one, jungle jack, was sitting on the front of the boat, after i dropped it in the water. meanwhile, he were smoking, sitting on the front of the boat, the boat had been pulled to shore, while i parked the truck an trailer. when i got back, 2/3 of the Jon boat was underwater. :(

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    bgkyarcher likes this.
  10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Daddy has a habit of leaving a lot of line out on his rod when casting.... He was fishing by himself one morning, and put in at Peninsula. He never cranked the motor, just started fishing surface lures along the dock. Fish were biting good, and he managed to hook himself in the back of the head with a double-prop bait. He cut the line, tied on another bait, and kept fishing. Eventually, a man and his 10ish year old son put in. Daddy flagged them down, and asked the man to get the bait out of his head. Daddy said the kid turned green, lol. The man pushed the barb on through, then clipped the hook off. Ol pops is hard core....

Brody, TripleGee, barney and 6 others like this.
  11. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    My old tournament buddy has a reputation of just passing out in those circumstances. Sumbitch did it to me twice over the years and both times the hook was in me, not him lol

12. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Just two can be a problem......

13. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Yep and you can do 4 if you know what you’re doing.

web splitter likes this.
  14. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Like i said, we fished 3 for a couple years til my brother got old enough to start fishing then we fished 4. All throwing top water, chasing jumps. This was of course when you could find fish consistently in jumps. I'm talking back in the whites in jumps days here. Only hook I can remember ever going into flesh was caused be a big smallmouth tangled up in the net. My mother was on the receiving end of that one too. Cut the bait off the line, she sat down and we kept fishing. Bite was too good that morning :D

15. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    More like all 4 need to know what they're doing...I've fished 4 and been completely comfortable and at the same time have been uncomfortable with just 1 more.
    Me and buddy have been fishing together since we were about 4&9 (last 30yrs) and we fish off the front deck together whether anyone else is in the boat or not. Bass, crappie, doesn't matter.
    Only 1 semi-bad incident, we were about 7&12. His dad said "be still and I can cut the hook out or keep whining and we'll head for the hospital." Needless to say, the hook was removed and we kept fishing