Fun Fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Redlined, May 1, 2021 at 11:29 PM.

1. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    I know several on here are serious bass fisherman. Got a few who chase the stripers as well. When I was younger I chased big flatties and blues on the Ohio. My new addiction is walleye, which means more trips out of state than I care to admit. But aside from what you "seriously" fish for, what's your idea of fun fishing? Pond hopping for largemouth or bluegill? Wade fishing a good creek? Mine is probably fishing under lights in the summer with minnows for whatever which is usually mostly crappie. Just interested in what the responses will be.

2. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    I guess I should also add that walleye fishing in Ky could be labeled as fun fishing as well because 99% of the time anything you catch will not be a walleye with bass, stripes, crappie, and catfish being the usual collateral damage.

3. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Anymore all I do is fun fishing for bass. I do like to go to the falls because you never know what you’ll catch

4. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    We’ve got a big 8 acre pond full of lil mud cats. My brother and I made up a bunch of jugs and throw them out in the middle then the nephews take a little John boat with a trolling motor and it is hilarious watching those kids trying to chase those jugs around the pond.

When I was young a family friend had a houseboat on Herrington . I remember an old man at the very end of the slip with two huge lights that shined down in the water, We would take a Popeye and drop it down slow then reel back up slow and catch stripers all night long. For a young kid fighting those strong fish was the funnest thing ever

Fun fishing for me now really isn’t even fishing I just like taking the boat out and watching the lady fish. I just sit back and enjoy the scenery

Last edited: May 2, 2021 at 5:59 AM
  5. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I’ll go fun fishing for crappie a couple times in the spring, catch me enough to eat and that’ll about wrap it up. Last year I did go fishing for bonefish in the keys then went and caught the stew out of mangrove, yellowtail, and schoolmaster snappers off the bridges, that was a lot of fun

Feedman likes this.
  6. FF/EMT516

FF/EMT516 Spike

Nov 22, 2020
    Blackrock, Ky
    I love taking the Jon boat out on the watersheds around here with my younger brother and fishing for bass. Unfortunately the older we get the busier it seems we are so it don’t happen much anymore.

7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    My most enjoyable fishing is setting jig poles on smaller rivers, and creek fishing with light and minimal tackle. Most times catching the bait at the creek. Nothing like sneaking along a creek bank pitching a hellgrammite or mud eel into a quiet pool!

8. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Them mud eels are straight $$
    Better hang on if there's any fish around. Getting em on a hook can be a chore at times lol

barney likes this.
  9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The best!

Munson likes this.
  10. Riflelooney

Riflelooney 6 pointer

Aug 7, 2016
    Wade fishing for smallmouth bass is fun to me, pond largemouth on a fly rod is fun to me.

I'm a muskie guy at heart, but when I just wanna have fun and catch a few fish. This is it.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  11. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Love wade fishing for creek smallmouth. Rounding up crawdads or seining minners for bait, or cicadas or grasshoppers!

Riflelooney and Snareman2 like this.
  12. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    When I was a kid. Seining the creek for soft craws. Then wade creek fishing for redeyes, smallmouths, occasionally sauger, and white perch. Had a blast.

carnivore and barney like this.
  13. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Farm pond fishing for hand sized bluegills.

14. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    I also enjoy going to the falls of the Ohio especially during the summer and fishing for rough fish. Like CFR said, you never know what you'll catch. Literally anything that swims in KY waters might be next on the line. About 10 years ago, what I thought was another drum or buffalo actually turned out to be a sturgeon which was a pleasant surprise.
    Plus, the people watching there is better than an airport. I love it.

CRFmxracer likes this.
  15. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I like catching gills and lots of them. Flats are my favorite though. Wish I had more time to chase them.

drakeshooter likes this.