Ft Wright deer is dead

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by CRFmxracer, Nov 5, 2020.

1. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    Whoever shot this deer is probably going to be paranoid for a long time that theyll get busted for it. But why shoot a buck this size and not recover it? Did they hit it on their own property and maybe it was a bad shot so they "backed out until morning" or something? I hate 3rd hand information, im so curious about this case.

2. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I can agree with that 100%!

bowhunter269 likes this.
  3. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Well DUH !!!

EdLongshanks likes this.
  4. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    I don't believe all those cities have no hunting ordinances. After the amendment passed, city attorneys across the state advised their cities to remove their no hunting ordinances. Hurstbourne, Glenview, Indian Hills, Anchorage etc all removed their no hunting ordinances.

The only two I'm aware of that didn't was prospect and one of the cities in nky. KYDFW actually came to our meetings in Prospect when we were discussing it. The commissioner, as well as KYDFW's attorney. As drafters of the actual bill, KYDFW certainly believes these cities are being unlawful.
    The cities will have to be taken to court to get a final ruling. But the amendment couldn't be more clear.

CRFmxracer likes this.
  5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Ok. I wonder why the kdfw is considering the death of this deer as a poaching incident? Seems odd if all these cities and townships allow hunting all of the sudden.

invasion36 likes this.
  6. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Here’s the text of the Amendment, Ed Longshanks.

Section 255A Personal right to hunt, fish, and harvest wildlife – Limitations.
    The citizens of Kentucky have the personal right to hunt, fish, and harvest wildlife, using traditional methods, subject only to statutes enacted by the Legislature, and to administrative regulations adopted by the designated state agency to promote wildlife conservation and management and to preserve the future of hunting and fishing. Public hunting and fishing shall be a preferred means of managing and controlling wildlife. This section shall not be construed to modify any provision of law relating to trespass, property rights, or the regulation of commercial activities.
    Text as ratified on: November 6, 2012
    History: Creation proposed by 2011 Ky. Acts ch.

It says the right to hunt is subject to statutes passed by the legislature and KDFWR administrative regulations.

There is no provision pertaining to Ft. Wright or Prospect being allowed to ban hunting or adopt 2 acre minimums, because they’ve designated themselves as urban or suburban environments.

KDFWR might be looking for the shooter, because of reports it was shot from a truck or in an area where nobody had given anyone permission to hunt. I can pretty much guarantee you though it’s not because it was shot in violation of some Ft Wright ordinance.

Btw, I think the person that shot this buck is a selfish jackass. Lots of hunters/no hunters watched this buck and liked following the pictures. The shooter evidently thought his big rack fame and glory was more important than other people being able to appreciate this deer. Imo, he did a disservice to sportsmen/women even if it was legal.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Also, if I shoot a deer in any of the cities I mentioned....I would expect to go to jail. I don’t think I’m wrong.
    ft Wright allows archery hunting.

I agree that the person who shot this deer was a d bag

Apparently the legislature and “state agency” can enact limitations to this amendment correct? This enumerated right is “subject” to those stipulations? So in essence, cities can restrict hunting if it is deemed acceptable? Is that why most cities up here still do not allow hunting?

8. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Yall lost me on the rules of hunting in town, bout all i know is i would imagine they would have a problem, shootin guns around peoples houses, but if yall get a update on this buck, i would really like to know what all went on

BootsOn27, RLWEBB, hunt and 2 others like this.
  9. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    no, local governments have no power at all to restrict hunting. If it were as you suggest, the amendment would be absolutely meaningless because any county or city could ban hunting.
    Since this amendment was passed by KY residents, I’ll bet $500 that not a single person has been arrested or spent a minute in jail for violating a local no hunting ordinance anywhere in the Commonwealth.

10. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    The local townships don’t have the authority to restrict hunting....but that doesn’t mean hunting can’t be restricted. The amendment says right there that the legislature and “state agency” can create limitations.

11. invasion36

invasion36 10 pointer

Aug 29, 2013
    Kenton Co
    I was thinking the same thing ED. Legislature meaning the city and state agency meaning KDFW.

12. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    Im running out of popcorn here

13. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    Just because they say he was poached doesnt necessarily mean it was because of where he was shot. Poaching can refer to being shot with a gun out of season, shot on someone elses property, shot from the road or less likely boat, or cooked in or over a small amount of water... with no shell.

BootsOn27, slickhead slayer and KYBOY like this.
  14. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I bet it was the the means by which it was taken thats the problem.

invasion36 and web splitter like this.
  15. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Agreed. But I’m wagering it has more to do with location than anything else. People are pissed