Ft. Campbell / Peabody plan

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by BULL MOOSE, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Horses are only allowed on Peabody on maintain roadways. Been fighting that for years to keep it that way.

2. BULL MOOSE

BULL MOOSE 6 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    Cartersville, GA, USA.
    Historically is there more pressure on the east or west portion? It looks like eastern may have some ag around it and a large zone that is off-limits.

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

It is all cut up in east and west between private and Peabody WMA. Some is owned by the state some is leased by them so you have to study the map careful. We have a large National Guard training center in the one section just outside of Greenville in Muhlenberg county that is off limits to non-military. Use to be part of Peabody at one time but no longer.

4. BULL MOOSE

BULL MOOSE 6 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    Cartersville, GA, USA.
    I was unable to get the area I wanted for the Fort, so I purchased a permit and hunted Peabody ML Saturday morning. I went in blind and could have killed a couple of deer. I basically still hunted from daybreak to noon along old roads through bedding and small wood lots. I got busted twice and also caught deer feeding undisturbed too. There was nobody where I was so I basically had a lot of area to myself. I traveled 871 yards at one point from the vehicle. I did see more hunters on the way out, but it was not packed. I also did not see a large amount of litter besides where bozos leave their water bottles, etc. I did carry my water bottle and coffee cup out.

There is some rough ground there, but the area I hunted was some great habitat and easy to maneuver. It is easy to see why the area can harbor big deer.

I almost made a mistake hunting on some private. Thank goodness I pulled up my internet maps and chose to just go interior in some areas along a stream corridor.

I did not get on any big sign and the weather was miserable , so I decided to huntFort Campbell for evening.

I just do not enjoy hunting in October. The leaves are still basically green, visibility is poor, it is usually too warm and the action is just not there. I have decided to skip all hunting before Oct. 28th or so in the future. Too bad the ML or the juvenile hunt is not the last week in October each year. I am going to find something more productive to do till early November (that’s just me an my plan...plenty to do with family, festivals, games, and around the house in Oct.)

I’ll likely do 1-2 days of KY public hunting other than the fort in November. KY habitat is good stuff. I wish I had a friend with a small farm there!

5. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    You will do better if you come on up and hunt Fort Knox. With the new system it is super easy and you only have to come in person once after that all online

6. BULL MOOSE

BULL MOOSE 6 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    Cartersville, GA, USA.
    Fort Knox is only 100 miles further for me. I just forgot and missed the deadline to apply for the Fort Knox quota hunt this weekend. I assume that is the best one.

There looks to be two more gun weekends on 23-24 Andy then Dec. do you buy a permit and log in the night before like ft Campbell, is there another lottery, and what are the extended gun hunts that I saw listed?

I just revisited this thread because I’m considering this Peabody/fort Campbell strategy for this Thursday-Sat. If anyone tagged out would like to pm me some Peabody locations...I’m all ears! My kids killed 2 nice bucks and a doe at fort Campbell this past weekend so I don’t need anymore meat...just woods therapy with an opportunity for a larger deer.