frustrating day on Barkley

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by chrispbrown27, Jan 17, 2015.

1. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 8 pointer

Nov 2, 2011
    Carlisle county, KY
    I prefer to head out to the big lakes later in the morning to avoid any possible crowds and generally you have more options on where you can hunt because most have left. Launched the boat about 10:30 with only one other truck in the lot. Since I was trying a new area I had a general idea of where I wanted to set up but wasn't 100% sure. The point I wanted was open, so I tossed out some decoys and hunkered down. The divers were flying some but they weren't overly active. After about an hour of watching flock after flock cut wide of me and head down into a neck I decided to pick up and go see what all the fuss was about. I rounded a point and stretched out along a bank were a couple hundred divers who promptly left. The problem was that there really wasn't anywhere to hide from them and no point, just a long flat bank. I finally decided on a raised area of the bank that could somewhat be considered a point. As I was tossing out the decoys I had 4 flocks try to land on me, so I thought I was good to go. Finally set up and flock after flock would come in but flare well out of range. I tried moving the boat to a different location, moving myself around, moving decoys....nothing seemed to work. They still flared wide and landed 200 yards away. I did manage to kill two after the massive flock swam in close enough to feed. Sometime around 3:00 another party showed up and decided to set up 150 yards away from and that was it for me. Never did figure out what I was doing wrong. On the way out I came past the point I had originally set up on and there were 50 or so rafted up by it.....should have stuck with my first choice, oh well lesson learned.

2. KyMike

KyMike Spike

Aug 21, 2013
    Man that is frustrating seeing that many birds that won't work. I'm not a diver hunter but plan on giving it a shot next year. Couple questions. You running divers, puddlers or mix? Hunting from the boat, bank or layout? Thanks bud.

3. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 8 pointer

Nov 2, 2011
    Carlisle county, KY
    All diver decoys (repainted puddlers) since I see very few puddlers in the area I hunt. I will sometimes toss out a few mallards or geese just for something different or in case one pops up. I hunt from the bank because it is so much easier and you can stretch out. The area I usually hunt I have no problem getting them to buzz by within shotgun range....not sure what the problem was in this area....maybe the flat bank, I prefer a sharp point. I have never done any layout hunting but man if someone had a layout boat they could have slayed the birds yesterday where I was. Typically divers are not overly concerned about you being concealed....I have killed many standing wide open on the bank.....if they decide they are coming not much changes their mind. I do like to have a comfortable spot to sit down that will break up my outline somewhat....the rocks that are all around the lakes are perfect for this.

4. KyMike

KyMike Spike

Aug 21, 2013
    Great info thanks

5. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    That is frustrating, been there. Last year I had to setup on the opposite side of a lake I like for concealment. I took my cousin who didnt have a layout, so couldnt setup where I usually do. About 9 rolls around a 150ish mallards land right in front of the point I am usually at.

6. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    Get out of the boat.. Park it a couple hundreds yards away and cover it with burlap. Camo up and be still.

7. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 8 pointer

Nov 2, 2011
    Carlisle county, KY
    The boat was pulled up on the bank fifty yards or more off underneath a blown down tree with driftwood and limbs laid over the back end. I was underneath another blown down tree. I had never had a problem with the birds paying any attention to the boat, though I do try to park it on the opposite side of the point that I am expecting the birds to come from (obviously when hunting a point). I have on more than one occasion pulled my boat up on the bank and sat in the back of the boat in the wide open and killed birds that were coming into land. Some days you just can't lose! Going to get back out there tomorrow and see if I can even things out. Just got done tying up a mess of decoys decoys and arranging the boat so I can set it out fast and be ready for em.
    On a side note, I saw a single goldeneye drake with the rest (mostly bluebills) of the divers. I have read often about them avoiding other species of ducks and from what I saw that is somewhat accurate. This one bird stayed close to the others, I assume because the food was there, but when one would venture more than 20 yards close to him he would quickly swim away. Man he was a beautiful bird.

8. jlkess02

jlkess02 Spike

I hunted Barkley Friday and saw hundreds of birds heading north in huge flocks. Could find very little wanting to work.

9. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    This season has been very frustrating. We broke 3+ inches of ice today, it was so thick that spinning the boat would not push it over or under the unbroken ice so we ended up with a small hole and one lonely hen mallard.

Thickest ice I've ever broke with a boat.

10. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    We had an ice eater in a pond a 1/2 mile from a roost with lots of birds for 8 days. Never had a single bird sitting on that pond. We scouted it twice a day, it was unbelievable. Its been a very productive pond in the past. Moved ice eater to a different pond close by that gets lots of traffic and they didnt like it either. Plum crappy season, averaged a bird or 2 per hunt all except a few hunts. And we scout as much as we hunt.

11. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    Ice eaters stink

They are good for knocking off skim but they are no magic bullet.

12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Ice eaters aren't the be all thing any more. Being where Birds want to be is the key thing.

13. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY

Its always a loafing pond. They are just staying at the roost keeping the hole open. Open water close to the roost has always served me well until this year.

14. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    I had my 16/44 Go-Devil on top of the ice today and had to push pole back off of it. It's not the thickest ice I have ever broke, but I believe it's the hardest. I have seen all the above issues with birds this year. Today just a half mile from a good roost and between a refuge and a gated honey hole and ended up with a ring neck and a hen green wing. The warm up is the only thing that's going to move these birds. Things will be better by Mon/Tuesday. Of course I'm back to work..

15. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    So what the op is saying is that Barkley has plenty of birds on it?