Front shoulder hit

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by alwaysinrut, Sep 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    This happened to me on a big 8 a few years ago.The buck stood broadside at 22 yds.
    I was using a 70lb bow with the limbs cranked full power,more like 73lbs.
    I put that muzzy fixed 3 blade right dead in that bucks shoulder,it was
    a tremendous smacking sound when the arrow hit. The arrow only
    went in about 3 inches or less and was sticking straight out.
    He took off running and snapped the shaft off as he passed a tree.
    I trailed him for a 100 yds and looked even more with very small drops of blood,never did find him. I was sick.
    Two weeks later my brother n law killed him,muzzy 3 blade was still in his shoulder.
    It was healing around it and that buck was acting normal. I was glad he got him and relieved too....

2. OldEarnhardtFan

OldEarnhardtFan 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2014
    Northeast of Berea
    IMO it's the worst shot out there but sometimes that's all you are given......keep after it.

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    True. I've never taken that shot. No margin for error.

4. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 8 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    I'd still be looking, if you truly got 3" penetration you could have got one lung. I shot a nice 10 Pt several years ago and hit the shoulder as you described, found most of the arrow. We only found about 4 or 5 drops of blood and lost the trail after about 150yds. Three of us searched for three hours that night with no luck, I went back the next day and found him 50 yds from where we found the last blood. The arrow got one lung. He may live but make sure you do a thorough search the deer deserves it. Good Luck, that's why they call it hunting.

5. alwaysinrut

alwaysinrut 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2010
    No that's not him.

6. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville

why would M James even think that may be the same deer you wounded?

7. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    This..................

8. woodsandwater

woodsandwater 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    My uncle was cleaning a deer once and pulled out his hand with his own blood on it. He had cut it up on a broad head lodged in the deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Saw an article in either outdoor life or a similar magazine some years ago about how tough deer were. As an example they showed a picture of all the junk pulled out of a Michigan public land buck. I think there were a few broadheads, some .22 rounds, bird shot, and the remnants of a shotgun slug. Pretty incredible.

I've also seen a deer get plowed by a chevy and make it across the other 3 lanes on four broken legs.

Quartering too is a bad shot with a bow. Chances of a lung or heart hit are very low. I'd say as long as you didn't poke a lung, and it doesn't sound like you did and infection doesn't get him he'll be around. Good luck.