Froggin

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Mainbeam, Apr 30, 2013.

1. ljblue

ljblue 6 pointer

Dec 15, 2008
    Shepherdsville
    This just got me thinking...if you shoot frogs with a rifle you have to have a hunting license. I'm assuming it's legal to hunt them from a boat?

2. redheadshooter

redheadshooter Fawn

May 7, 2013
    I hit them with a boat paddle and grab 'em. Just gotta be sure of the eyes you are looking at!

3. jarhedhntr

jarhedhntr 10 pointer

Apr 20, 2005
    Richmond
    I never have been but am planning on taking my older boys out this year. Can you gig on WMAs at night?

4. dxtsniper

dxtsniper 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Turn around!
    LOL, we used to use a wiffle ball bat with good results.
    I'm gonna have to get out there this year. I picked up an old frog gig a few years back and sanded and painted it last year. Ever since then the boy has not let up on going froggin. Even brings up the fact I didn't take him last year even though I said I would, with the most pittiful look on his face, even though we did fish several times a week last summer. Definately going to get him out this year.

5. Logan

Logan Fawn

Nov 29, 2011
    Boyle County
    I'm heading out tonight, rain or not. Been waiting for months!

6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Dang it! Planned to go tonight, but my daughter had dance rehearsal until 10:00 tonight. Recitals tomorrow and Sunday. Something came up and my wife couldn't get her, so going tomorrow night.

7. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Dont feel bad its raining here a little. I stopped abd got me a good light and i as well am going to wait til tomorrow night. Cant remember ever missing the first night.

8. Covert HQ

Covert HQ Sponsor

Sep 2, 2012
    Logan County
    We also postponed until tomorrow night. Hope the rain stays away

9. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    I went down to the creek just to see if I saw any. Didn't see the first frog but didn't go far just as far as I could wade in my mucks. Use to get a few out of this creek. Might go Tom and check the duck pond at my dads. Been a long time since I've had frog legs.

10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Change of plans! My daughter called and they got out early. I picked her up at 9:20, came home and said what the heck! Grabbed my stuff and took off. Left at 9:45, 30 minute drive to first stop. Hit one of my usual ponds, water very high, and not many frogs. Only got 5. Drove to another one of my better ponds, only saw three, and got them all. Went to another good, but small pond, and it was loaded. Went half way around it and finished my limit. Drove to a few other ponds just to listen for tomorrow night, back home by 12:30. Showered and getting ready to hit the hay. I just couldn't stand not going the first night. Got some good ponds lined up for me and dad tomorrow night! He's going to be surprised when I tell him I went after all. BTW, froggin by yourself is a pain. Anyone else do it? If so, what kind of light do you use, and how do you carry your frogs?

11. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    We got enough for a mess. Ponds we hit that were usually mowed, wasn't, so it was a struggle from the bank to see em.

12. big bubba t

big bubba t 10 pointer

Sep 4, 2004
    Waltersburg , KY
    The frogs live in the water, they don't care if it rains. :D

13. big bubba t

big bubba t 10 pointer

Sep 4, 2004
    Waltersburg , KY
    I use a Black Diamond Icon. They are awesome lights. And I use a fish basket to put my frogs in. You can put a rope on it for a shoulder strap and make sure to tie the bottom lid shut. My buddies use fish stirngers and just poke it through the bottom lip like a fish.

14. LungBlood

LungBlood 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2010
    Florence
    I cut the legs off while they are still on the gig so I don't have to worry about any of them gettin away. Then throw the body and head back in the water or in the bushes. And throw the legs in a bucket with some ice.

15. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    High water screwed us up last night. All of the frogs worth taking are sitting in stuff you can't even walk through.