Frog season

Tankt

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2019
Kentucky
We are not the same, lol.
You would have gigged it?

He waded out halfway into the pond about waist-deep. He said that's how he and his friends do it. Gonna pass on that too...especially after seeing the turtle. Must have been 30+ pounds.

And I sure as hell ain't wading through cattails waste-deep in snake weather

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG

He waded out halfway into the pond about waist-deep. He said that's how he and his friends do it. Gonna pass on that too...especially after seeing the turtle. Must have been 30+ pounds.

Definitely. I don’t like wading either. Not necessary

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.

Wading is the only way we gigged back in the day. Haven't been in 45 yrs. Need to get my boys out at least once.

Velvet ears

8 pointer
Nov 6, 2013
West KY
So my son and several others from school got together and had a frog giggin tourney this past week. They each pitched in $20 and had 5 hours to hunt (1:00 a.m.). Each person weighed 8 frogs. Most weight wins. They had 16 kids (boys and girls) participate and I oversaw the event. The winner received $320. My son came in 2nd place with 5.67 lbs of frogs. Overseeing the event, it made me think about how it was so great having something for the kids to do that keeps them out of trouble. They all had so much fun, they want to have a fishing tourney in the next few weeks. I plan on having more "hunting or fishing" type of events for them to participate in this summer.

web splitter

8 pointer
Feb 3, 2015
So my son and several others from school got together and had a frog giggin tourney this past week. They each pitched in $20 and had 5 hours to hunt (1:00 a.m.). Each person weighed 8 frogs. Most weight wins. They had 16 kids (boys and girls) participate and I oversaw the event. The winner received $320. My son came in 2nd place with 5.67 lbs of frogs. Overseeing the event, it made me think about how it was so great having something for the kids to do that keeps them out of trouble. They all had so much fun, they want to have a fishing tourney in the next few weeks. I plan on having more "hunting or fishing" type of events for them to participate in this summer.
Winner take all, I like their style

RRK

Fawn
Feb 7, 2021
KY

Back when I was a lot younger that's the only way I hunted was wading, carried a S&W Model 17, 8 3/8" barrel 22 across my chest. Good times.

OLE RASPY

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2018
Barren county
Wading is the only way we gigged back in the day. Haven't been in 45 yrs. Need to get my boys out at least once.
I hadn’t been since 2014 but wading without waders was the norm from teenage years up till 2014. Just ain’t got nowhere in barren county to go since I moved. And the ponds in Logan ain’t good now either for frogging. Damn it use to be.

OLE RASPY

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2018
Barren county
I climb out of many ponds and creeks with leeches on my clothes. Me and buddy’s Rode four wheelers on road All night till morning giggin every weekend. Coolers of beer and gigs. Never shot them. Just gig. And cleaned them next morning at sunrise. Went places we prolly shouldn’t have went. Oh the younger days. I’m not that old either. But old enough to know better now. Lol.
Got shot at 2 times I know of. Shotguns. Lolololol. Sure scared hell out of us. Thanks buddy that said we had permission. Lol.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
My dad would take us gigging from the banks when I was a kid.

If we broke our bamboo gig pole (happened every year) we would shoot under the frogs with a .22 on the pond side of them. The concussion in mud would flip them up on the bank stunned.

The shortage of frogs is nation wide. They say you can’t even catch a bass on a frog lure in the Great Lakes area they are so scarce. I hear them around me but we have a few ponds on hill tops “above” the farm land.