Free Range Elk in LBL?

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by FOWLER2671, Jun 28, 2020.

1. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I'm sure the topic has been beat to death but every time I drive through LBL; I question the reason why they should not release the elk to form a huntable population? Thousands of acres of remote under used land that could support hunting and eco tourism that would benefit the local economy and the hunters both in state and OOSers.

Thomas Roberts likes this.
  2. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Sounds like a good idea, but LBL is too small to support a huntable herd of Elk. They would do well to better manage their Deer herd.

Timholt70 and Thomas Roberts like this.
  3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Barely enough food for Deer. I liked to see the Fallow Deer built back up instead of a Elk herd.

davers likes this.
  4. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Back in 1973, while I was attending Murray State, A friend of mine bagged a very nice Fallow Buck, during archery season at LBL.

5. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Elk are grazers like cattle. Require a great deal of graze in their diet to survive. Haven't been to LBL so not sure of the makeup of the land but that may be a contributing factor. That's partly the reason Eastern Ky was selected with all the reclamation sites already in existence.

davers likes this.
  6. Bandit29

Bandit29 6 pointer

Nov 21, 2008
    Not elk related but anyone know why TVA doesn't allow any farmers to lease some of the ground for crops? There's alot of tillable ground that could be used for crops, which in turn would help support the deer and turkeys numbers that have been declining for years. Just a thought.

7. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

The place hasn't been the same since they air dropped all those rattlesnakes.

hunt, jblack1, Munson and 1 other person like this.
  8. clovis67

clovis67 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2008
    I to would like to see the Fallow Deer herd rejuvenated...but I guess that’s a no go.Huntable Elk population in LBL would b awesome...but like stated above...The Deer and Turkey have been on the decline for years...so

9. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    TVA left LBL years ago. The US Forest Service runs it now.

10. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I think there was an issue with fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides. Someone kept them tied up in court over the logging as well.

11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    When the TVA had it they did lease out some farming.

12. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Yes, they did. Deer numbers seemed to be adequate. Since the farming has been throttled back, and the habitat improvement programs have been left to the current curators, the deer numbers have waned.

jblack1 likes this.