FoxPro's New Spitfire

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by JDMiller, Sep 9, 2009.

1. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Accordingly FoxPro is releasing the Spitfire in October. Really not much info on it now and its not even listed on their website yet. About all the info I can find is an add in Predator Extreme and a web game call company is taking orders. The latter has pics & some amount of specs ... I'm not going to post a link but google...it should come up.

Supposed to be a no-frills remote caller.. for around $200 or slightly less. Holds 24 sounds ...which you can change. From the pics... looks like other FoxPros... without some features. Dont know about the range or remote for that matter. I'd say it should be good...but I guess when they actually begin being used... we will find out.

Overall.... its got my attention. The thought of dropping $300-$500 on an e-caller is not very appealing. I was seriously considering a JS PM-4 ...which is about the same money. I may have to hold off a little to see some reviews ....get any bugs worked out...ect.

Anyone heard anything bout this call??

[​IMG]

The All New FOXPRO Spitfire features a high efficiency horn speaker with powerful amplifier. Includes 24 high Quality FOXPRO Calls - YOU Pick them—WE Load them! User reprogrammable. The Spitfire is designed to play fxp and mp3 audio files for superb audio quality. It also comes standard with FOXPRO's TX-24 remote control--one of the industry's best remote controls. Features include A full LCD control which displays the name of the sound, the ability to instantly change to any of the 24 sounds programmed on the unit, volume “Up” and “Down” controls for ultra smooth transition in volume changes, volume level indicator, low battery indicator, a Pause/Mute feature, volume indicator, & Aux control for the ability to remotely control FOXPRO's Jack-in-the-Box decoy.

2. LBLDOG

LBLDOG 6 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    murray ky
    JD, havent heard anything yet about it but I have a Foxpro XR-6 and REALLY like it. My caller has 16 sounds and give $299.00 for mine 2 years ago. JD I would hold out like you said and get the new FOXPRO

3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Looks good!! I have been wanting a predator call myself. Maybe technology has advanced so they they can offer more cheaper??

Sounds like a good unit but I am still in the investigation mode.

4. im1cardfan

im1cardfan 6 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    grayson co.
    I have had an fx3 for some time now, after I sent it back for the remote not working past 100 yds and they fixed it I love it. And they are some pretty tough boogers too, I left mine by a creek one morning while a bud and I walked down the creek to look for some yote sign..you know some $hit..lol

We walked about an hour and came back, I looked up the hill and there was this giant boulder that looked just like it was ready to roll down the hill into the creek. My friend said, "I bet I could roll the rock down by myself". I said, "wait until we get ready to go, it should be the last thing we do". He could'nt wait and walked up the hill and started trying to get the big rock rolling. When I say big, I mean real big. We estimated its weight at around 2000 lbs, and like I said earlier it was barely hanging on to the hillside. He finally got it to move a lil', but I did'nt think he was gonna roll it when all of a sudden it tumbled and tumbled. The more it tumbled the faster it tumbled til it rested in the creek bed.

Now for the breathtaking episode that followed, I went down the hill to retrieve the caller that I had forgot about while messing with the rock. Yep, it got. It smashed it up real good, one speaker was laying on the ground crumpled up like a piece of paper. The chance of it ever working again did not look good in the least. But lo and behold it still played, believe it or not. One tough booger. I should have taken some pics before I patched it up a lil' and sent to foxpro for some laughs.

5. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Funny thing I notice at the LBL hunt each year. The boys aren't talking about the latest in e callers they have but how to use the mouth calls they own. And they each learn something new each year. I have heard some wild stuff come out of the simplest of calls, the enclosed reeds. With the right reeds in them they can do fawn distress, baby cottontail, bird screams, an the funky chicken as we call it. One with a coarse reed in it can do fawn , cottontail, baby jack, and crow distress. A good open reed will give you all of these and some canine distress sounds. Factory calls run less than fifty and you could spend less than a hundred on customs. And in all honesty you don't need all that many sounds to kill a lot of coyotes. I only use about four myself.

E callers can make it easier but I don't believe they can speed up the learning process that much. Jimmie

6. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Thats a good point.

I think my biggest issue is just confidence in my calling abillity with mouth calls. I find myself relying on the e-caller and have mixed it up at times with a mouth call. I think for me its just a progression into predator hunting.

At some point ...I will probably quit relying on technology as much... but admit its nice to have different sounds at the push of a button.

7. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I had to make myself learn to use an open reed. Once I got an idea of how it worked I learned to make several sounds on it.

Most folks are just like you JD. They have trouble in believing in the sounds they make with mouth calls.Thats all part of the learning process it seems. They get out there and don't have any luck and believe that they are lousy callers when just the oposite is true.Anything that sounds like it is in trouble will call coyotes, that is a fact! All of this happens before they learn how to find them consistantly. Then they return to their mouth calls once they have several under their belts and find that they aren't all that bad with mouth calls after all. Jimmie

8. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    I can attest that one does not have to be good at calling to call in coyotes. A couple of years ago I was sitting at LBL in a likely looking spot and was blowing a plastic Wally World call. I thought I sounded like a drunk blowing a party horn on New Years Eve. But in came a coyote. Sure surprised me. I didn't close the deal on him but that was because I made several rookie mistakes which includes using turkey loads in my shotgun. :eek:

I don't make that mistake any more. I just make different mistakes now. :D

9. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I can relate to that as well.;)

I honestly think my mouth call sounds are'nt bad but I do like what I'm seeing offered with this e-caller. I've been just that close to buying a PM-4 or a PowerDog just to have access to a few more sounds. I'm using a JS Attractor with only 5 sounds now...and honestly wont say a bad word about it. Its called up quite a few yotes and has let me take 5 yotes with just the rabbit distress. Without it ...I'd probably not been as successful as quickly..which goes back to the confidence thing.

I'd just like to have an e-caller with good range, user programmable & easy to use... for around $200 this one may be what I'm looking for.

What my understanding is with some added info on the Spitfire.... it uses a micro-sd card. Which I could download different sounds off the net and build a fairly good collection in conjunction to the 24 sounds you choose. Range wise.... 100yds plus...optium conditions maybe 200yds. The receiver operates on 4AA batteries with 20-24 hours of runtime. The TX24 remote operates on 1-9V...with suggested 100 hours of operation.

Still my understanding its not really on the market until October but I've pretty much made my mind up. I'll have one of these.