Foxpro need one!

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Kcoyboy, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    There were 2 bad reviews on Cabalas! Although there was a good one too. Whats the warranty on Foxpro? do they have a good service dept? thats what Im interested in more than anything! if Im goint to spend $400 I want good service period. They sure must be making a killing as they cant be very expensive to make! Ive never had any luck with my Johnney Stewart but it works fine! I have another small amplified speaker hooked into it. I put it on a wire and it goes at least 50 yds. I just wish it had a few more sounds. Now Johnney Stewart makes a better one called the preymaster I believe. Midway has it for $150 on sale now. It supposedly reaches out 100yds with more sounds. Like Jimmey said why do you need 50 or more sounds? But when I started this thread I based it on all the success people have had with Foxpro. It sure does get results. Has anyone had any bad luck with them? Like malfunctions? thanks

2. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    Hey Jd Miller thanks for the advise! I was trien last night to post here keep my fireplace stocked with wood and drinkin a few cold ones! Didnt read all your post!! So you think this spitfire is a good caller. The price sounds good! Does it come ready to go out of the box? Do you program this microsd card on your computer. Im not really good with gadgets and wouldnt have a computer if it wasnt for my son. The variety of cottontail sounds great!!.

3. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    Hey JD just was one Cabalas site and the Spitfire for sale had just 4 rabbit calls on it. Did you get a different card for yours?

4. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    Hey JD dont think my last post posted. The spitfire got good reviews except for the volume . some said it wasnt loud enough. They did say it has an external speaker jack though. I guess my amplified speaker will work on it, Is it louder than the Johnney stuart? thanks for your help!

5. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    JD Has your unit ever malfunctioned in the cold? Some guys said that too! One other guy said they did an upgrade on the remote. Another guy said switch to lithium batteries said they wont freeze up. Also another noted that to change sounds it costs $50 on Foxpros website? Is this true? that would up the anti for me. thanks

6. wked

wked 6 pointer

Nov 26, 2008
    West KY
    Kcb, I have a spitfire as well. I ordered mine from the foxpro website. They have a good website that lets you listen to the sounds and then you can check the ones you want installed on your caller. After a season I decided to change some of the sounds. I'm not all that good with a computer either and that didn't go too well, so I called their cust. service. Got right through with no wait. The guy talked me right through it without making me feel like an idiot, gave me some tips for next time, and encouraged me to call back if I had any trouble. You can get sounds from a couple of different places on the internet at no charge. I have been pleased with mine. It is plenty loud for where I hunt (mostly woods). I have operated the remote out close to 100 yds in open country. In the woods, most of the time, its more like 25 yds, give or take. There is an external speaker jack, so if you have the correct ohms and the right plug, your good to go. You do need a cord with 3.5mm male/male plugs to reprogram the remote after you change sounds on the card. I got one 12" long for just a few bucks. It is ready to go out of the box, just add batteries. I have no complaints about battery life using std batteries. I have not had any problems from mine. The firestorm looks promising, but its double the money. Haven't read any reviews on it either. You have been using an ecaller, so you probably already know that they are not the answer to all your coyote calling problems. They are just another tool. Nothing is going to make up for 1) no coyotes in the area your calling, 2) a bad set up. If they get your wind before you make the shot, it ususally over with. Seems like of late, I have been enjoying blowing the calls more than pushing buttons. Good luck with your choice and happy hunting.

7. coyhunter

coyhunter Fawn

Dec 26, 2010
    Philpot Ky
    KCB
    I like my Foxpro Firestorm, I also have mouth calls i use. I have to agree with Wked your setup and ect has a lot too do with your sucess, The only advantage i have really found with the e-caller is it gives you the ability to keep the yotes focused on something except yourself, with mouth calls sometimes they come in looking for the sound on end up busting you if you are not careful, Remember that a lot of yotes will try to circle down wind of you.
    Try asking the land owners and your mail man if anyone has been seeing any yotes and where and at what time it will help find them easier.

8. XFORCE

XFORCE 8 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Alright here is my opinion. If you want a Foxpro FX3 or something you should go get it. I use a Foxpro FX3 and I love it. BUT!! I also use a wide variety of mouth calls as well. I dont always kill a yote on every set up but nobody does. I killed tons of yotes on a HS preymaster and it's a lot cheaper. My confidence is extremely higher since I have the FX3 but I also can get on a bad streak too. It really depends on the yote. I really respect several of the viewers advice on here and I ask questions too. Over all though I'm gonna do and buy what I feel will help me enjoy the time in the woods. I don,t have to kill one everytime. Just enjoy my time away from work. So what i'm saying is get ya a FX3 or mouth call or whistle for em'. JUST HUNT AND BE HAPPY!!! I dont regret buying my foxpro and I kill lot's of yotes. AM I as good as some of these others on here? Probably not! But I enjoy hunting and if I kill or just call one in.....Then that even makes a better day afield for me.

9. wked

wked 6 pointer

Nov 26, 2008
    West KY
    Very well put X !

10. coyhunter

coyhunter Fawn

Dec 26, 2010
    Philpot Ky
    well put, That's why they call it hunting not killin

11. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    Thanks wked coyhunter xforce jd Miller Jimmey AND EVERYONE THATS CONTRIBUTING TO THIS THREAD! Keep them coming. Now Im sure Foxpro has a good service dept and a fairly reliable product I need to determine which one to get. The spitfire sounds pretty good for the price. The others all sound good just need to figure out how much to spend. Wish I had more places to goas I did a few years ago. Im gettin older and friends seem to be dieing or moving. Things arent like they used to be 30 years ago it seems. Like my cousin used to say WHEN WE WERE YOUNG WE HAD MANY PLACES TO GO BUT FEW GUNS. nOW WE HAVE ALL THE GUNS AND AMMO WE NEED, BUT NO PLACE TO GO!!! I wish I lived further south and in the country which I dont. wked you were saying if I add a remote to the spitfire I need to program it? I dont understand that as the basic unit is whats putting out the sounds. thanks again everyone . This is an awesome forum!!!

12. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I watched their show tonight. The one thing I would recomend you get on one would be hte siren for locating. Jimmie

13. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Kcoyboy, I have been field testing a Firestorm for the past few weeks, and like it a bunch. It is plenty loud and versatile, and it comes with Foxbang standard. Stick to the Mark II sound library and you won't go wrong or be disappointed. I haven't had any issues with the caller or remote at all, even in very cold weather we have experienced lately. Killed a nice pair one afternoon last week and a big male a few days later, and Foxbang worked perfectly in each case. On the pair, it was responsible for the male coming back in to help his lady friend, getting him dead for his efforts. On the big male, Foxbang stopped his girl friend, but I couldn't take the shot due to where she stopped in line with some cattle. Simple to program if you ever want to add or change sounds, and a very simple remote to operate. I can order you any ecaller you want and have it programmed with the sounds you want. Good hunting at ya!

14. wked

wked 6 pointer

Nov 26, 2008
    West KY
    The spitfire comes with a remote and it is already programmed. If you change the sounds on your card, you will have to reprogram the remote. It's really easy.

15. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    Been on Foxpro web site ! Noted that the spitfire only has a 1 yr warranty wheras the Firestorm has a 5 year warranty. Plus the firestorm has a ton more features. thanks Al for the info!