Foxpro need one!

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Kcoyboy, Dec 28, 2010.

1. TedB

TedB 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2005
    Nicholasville
    I still use mouth calls occasionally but mostly use my homebrew e-caller. I've explained on here how to make it before or you can go to predatormasters and there are all kinds of callers on there. If you can plug in two cords you can make your own, no wiring required. Why would you need to put a caller 100 yards away here? I can't see 100 yards most places and the places you can see you don't need to be walking 100 yards to put the caller out. I can put my caller over 100 feet away but rarely do.
    My caller uses an MP3 player, Azden mic remote and all the sounds I want downloaded from my CD's and from Western Rivers. Are Foxpro's nice? Sure but a Foxpro isn't going to kill you coyotes, don't care how many pictures are on their website or how many "prostaff" members toot their horn. Personally I can't afford one and even if I could I'd probably buy another AR instead.

You are doing something right if you're getting birds in to your setup. Watch the wind and make sure you are hunting where coyotes are. I hunted a place today, made several stands and pretty much knew I wasn't going to have to worry about coyotes running in on me. Why? Never saw a track walking in. I did see cat tracks and fox tracks though so I adjusted my calling. For coyotes I usually stick with pup distress sounds or fox distress. For fox and cat I use a bird squealer the majority of the time. Stick with it. The more stands you make the more you will learn and the more you learn the more coyotes you will take.

2. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

If you got the chance to hunt the LBL you would better be able to understand where I am coming from. I can't think of many palces that get used and abused more than hte Land Between the Lakes. Lots of pressure htere from all types of hunters. They move animals around and htey get busted a lot, yet a person can call in fair numbers there quite easily if htey work at it. It's also funny how certain mouth calls can even get an alarm response or no response in there.

You mentioned the only advantage I believe hte e-caller has over mouth calls. It can be placed well away from hte shooter and misdidrect the action to your advantage. It is not the cure to bad setup and your movement at the wrong time. But if not used in the right place to begin with , it too is worthless.

I have called in cats. My luck is all bad when it comes to killing one. Either season is over or it wasn't legal to take that animal under hte conditions at the time. That big tom I called in one night is one I won't ever forget. He sure got ill when he decided that bunny was way to big to mess with.

I would go when I wanted too given the conditions of hte day. Early and late are best times. But on WMA'S and other public hunting areas they may be moving when hunters are out to lunch as well. I have seen movement at midday in the LBL many times, something I haven't seen in farm country unless hte weather was really in the toilet. I think what Ed is learning about wma's is they don't stay on the wma during the day but bed down just off of it . He and I have discussed western Ky wma a few times. Lots of coyotes are using it but they are pressured more than by coyote hunters. They can get off of it and be at peace while htey sleep it off. Something you may be experiencing as well. Finding where htey are going will be more important as the winter wears on.

Scouting is key to success no matter where your hunting, farm or wma. Having some idea of where to be at the best times of day willl increase your chances of success more than anything you can buy. Looking over airial maps and trying to find areas htey will use helps. Even just getting out there and scouting while calling will teach you a good deal. Keep notes of what you see and hear.

I have been at this a long time. Sure didn't learn it over night. And I don't think anyone else will either. Some will get luckier than most because of numbers of animals in their hunting areas. Some are good woodsmen and pay close attention to what htey see and keep notes of it. Constantly ask questions and look for anwsers to them. Such as what made that animal travel here and why. What is it about that spot that makes them use it regularly. Is it terrain or something else that caused them to come this way. And if you manage to call one in ask why things worked? What made it hang up out there, was it my setup, did I not use hte cover right?

I even study each animal as it aproaches watching for any signs it will give me that things are working right or wrong. That animal coming in with it's head turning is looking fo rhte source, stopping and starting. That animal coming in with it's head down and hackles raised is looking for a fight and the only thing to stop it is a bullet or screw up on my part.

In Semp's post, he knew the animal wanted to work simply by watching it. He used patience and another call to wait it out and get it moving to his advantage.

How long do I spend on a setup. Depends on terrain and pressure. In steep terrain I will give it fifteen minutes. If I am after cats or in farm country I give it 30 or more depending on winds and terrain, I don't worry too much about pressure out there on hte farm. Jimmie

3. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    Ted b thanks!! This time of year whats generally the best time to be in the woods?. Hey folks sorry my last com bit the dust a while ago and havent been able to keep up on this web site. Hey TED would agree here in ky but quite a few have in the pastsset up fox pros 100 yds and were killin a lot with there 22250s . I guess strip mining sections ect. 60 yds seems great for me just to get the attention away. How far away can you play your homemade ones. Also can you stop and start a certain call?

4. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    thanks Jimmie sure appreciate! Wish I lived closer to LBL. Its a bust for me! Been there a few times in the summer with the wife. They sure hava a lot of restrictions for fierarms. its a big place for sure! You can drive for miles in the summer and not see a car going the other way. I guess Its different during hunting season. I know you guys have a big coyote hunt every year at LBL. thanks again Jimmie. Hope you get that bobcat!!!

5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Predator / yote hunting in my opinion has one of the biggest learning curves as any critters I've ever pursued. I'm on my 3rd year and will tell you flat out... I've gotten better hunting them... but still have a ways to go to be up to speed as a lot of guys on this site.

The call...be it e-caller or hand calls are only a very small part of the equation. The biggest portions are your set-up's & being where the yotes are. You also have to have the up-front understanding that its hunting at it's best. You can & will make numberous set-ups without results....it part of the sport. It does'nt mean what your doing is wrong or your calling wont work. It's just a matter of being at the right place..at the right time and all things working together... will equal success.

As others mentioned....if your getting hawks & other birds to your set-up...your on the right track with the sounds your offering. The key now is putting that sound out to where the yotes are and setting up properly. Factoring in wind, vantage point for visabillity, adequate cover breaking your outline, minimizing movement and then figuring the typical traits of coyotes....you can understand just how important this is. Many times you will think your hunt was uneventfull.... the reality is you were busted and did'nt know it.

If you put the emphasis here ....instead of what call your using....you have just went way up on the learning curve. This is the where & why...many that try predator hunting soon loose interest.

As far as my opinion on calls....I use both e-callers & hand calls. I tend to migrate to the electronics primarily because I just have'nt aquired the confidence with hand calls. I use decoys a lot and also like focusing my sound away from my location.

I started out with a call like your using...a J/S Attractor in Predator-1. I still carry & use it occasionally now...and I've killed several yotes with it. My primary e-caller now is the Foxpro Spitfire. Their $199 remote caller ....comparable to the J/S Preymaster 4 (wireless). The Spitfire holds 24 sounds & is programmable to change sounds using a micro-sd card. Which was the determining factor comparing the J/S calls where you have to purchase sound cards. Overall... it has been the best investment I've made and really enjoy using this call.

As far as sounds..... 8 of the 24 sounds are different varieties of rabbit distress. Their my primary go-to sounds and any one will and has produced results where I hunt. The remainder are several bird / turkey / squirrel distress, a large group of yote sounds ...and two are coyote locator calls. I had put a lot of thought into picking out my first initial sounds I wanted on the call and have been pretty content with my selection. Then of course...I can always have the option of changing the sounds if I so desire. Again...this is why I chose the Foxpro.

Just remember this like most other hunting....you can spend a lot or very little with the same results. Even using e-calls...learn to use mouth calls and mix it up at times. One has no advantage over the other as far as the actual sound. In my opinion the upmost gratification will be killing a yote with hand calls but overall I've never felt different using a e-call. Ultimately...its about the hunt & fooling a critter to come within range.

Good Luck!!

6. coyhunter

coyhunter Fawn

Dec 26, 2010
    Philpot Ky
    it has 50 sound preloaded and is ready to use right out of the box, and it can plug in to a computer and will hold up to 200 sounds

7. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    thanks coyhunter! did the 50 calls work for you and if so which were the best ones?

8. coyhunter

coyhunter Fawn

Dec 26, 2010
    Philpot Ky
    i just got it three weeks ago and it has a lot of sounds i may never use but i can reprogram it with what i want, My favorite ones are adult cotontail, lighting jack, and the pup distress

9. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    Hey coyhunter just saw some reviews on the foxpro firestorm and its iffy at best. they say the remote wont work past 100 ft at best and the calls wont turn off at times. One guy had to put the caller next to him to work. HOW far does yours work? is it made in China?

10. LBLDOG

LBLDOG 6 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    murray ky
    I use Hand calls and also the Foxpro XR -6 . This is a $300.00 caller with 16 sounds picked to your choice. I got mine from All Predator Calls . com and highly recommend them for anything . They will program all the sounds and ship it to you. This place is good for Hand calls also.

11. Cmattingly

Cmattingly 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2008
    nichlosville ky.
    You may want to look at the spitfire or firestorm both inexpensive calls from fox pro

12. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I have a couple of questions for you to think about.

Why have a remote that works past 150 feet or past a 100 feet for that matter?

I can barely see past 150 feet in most areas I hunt. That is where I find them. 30 to 40 yards is hte usual shot distance for me.

Why do you need fifty sounds?

I use eight at most. Each sound I use triggers one type of response or another in the coyote. Food, curiosity or territorial responses are what we need to be succesful.

For you fellows that have been using these things a while, what sounds do you commonly use?

Jimmie

13. coyhunter

coyhunter Fawn

Dec 26, 2010
    Philpot Ky
    I used it to kill 4 yotes last weekend and i had the call set at about 75yds from me and it worked well, I read the same reviews myself and did not have any problems out of mine so far. It also is made in the good old USA

14. KYDEERCHASR

KYDEERCHASR 10 pointer

Aug 29, 2005
    marion county
    i bought me a firestorm last week. i havent tried it actually hunting yet, but have been playing with it a lot getting used to it. with no obstructions my remote will work out to 150 yards i know. dont no why you would need it to be that far, but it will work. like i said i havent hunted with it yet, but i have no complaints so far.
    it does have a lot of calls on there that you probably would never use.

as for the reviews i havent seen a bad review on it myself.

15. mik

mik Fawn

Jan 11, 2006
    Spitfire

My spitfire is due in the mail jan 4th. Cant wait..........have never coyote hunted specifically. Thought this might be the easiest way to start. Its a late arriving/back ordered Christmas present. What sounds do i need to start with?