Foxpro need one!

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Kcoyboy, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    Ok all you experienced yote hunters need some advise. Ive been using a Johnney Stuart for 2 years. Ive got an amplified speaker for it too. Its the num 2 with the fawn , pup distress cottentail and jackrabbit. This seems to work pretty good for a $32 caller. Its remote goes to about 50 yds and is loud. However all I get in are hawks and buzzards! It could be the time of day too and I hunt on a wildlife management area. I was just out today at about 10 30 in the morning. Seemed like a good spot pretty remote with good visability. Cold and snowey would think somethin would come in no luck. I have tied this caller numerous times last year with no luck too. NOW I know the fox pro is the best as thats the one most of you yote hunters use so I know they have cheaper models with not as many calls. Do these work or do i need the $500 jobs? I hear you can program these callers with a large variety of calls . But quite frankly I would like to buy one that would work out of the box and be simple to use. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Also which Is the best foxpro call this time of year? And where is the best place to buy one?

2. rys40

rys40 8 pointer

Nov 29, 2006
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    Why not build one, using an MP3 player? I have built several and sold them. I can build them for around $50 or $60 depending on the price/type of MP3 player I pick up.

3. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    probably good idea but I still live in the cassette age!! Just kidding although I started with records. i hear the foxpro really works and I want some results. tired of no trigger time on the yotes. ive got some great guns just need to get one.. You know back in the 60s when I started varmint hunting all you needed was a good Herters predator hand call. Now most are too smart and you need a foxpro. Of course it doesnt help that most foxes are being killed by the yotes. By the way is anyone on this forum having any luck at calling bobcats?

4. rys40

rys40 8 pointer

Nov 29, 2006
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    The one thing that I have noticed since playing with the MP3's is how much more clear the sounds are coming from an mp3 with good cables, verses the old cassette and even CD call systems (which I started building seveal years ago).

A good mp3 player is really inexpensive these days, and will hold more call sounds than any of us need! I suppose you can even call snow geese with it if you get the right calls in digital format.

5. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    But doesnt a foxpro have the advantage with 100 yds of remote control with better sound amplification? Also it seems that most successful hunters swear by them! And pictures dont lie look at all of them on this forum!! Im not saying you dont make a good one Im just saying the Foxpro seems to get results. And with the amount of time involved with yote hunting I think it makes sense for me to look at them.

6. coyhunter

coyhunter Fawn

Dec 26, 2010
    Philpot Ky
    Foxpro

I have only been doing this for a couple of winters, but i had a primos call (ABOUT $140.00 )and it work Great, I kiiled 22 yotes with it last feb, But i went about three weeks ago and bought me a new foxpro firestorm and have been out only 4 times and already killed 8 yotes. The foxpro is more money (about $425.00)than the primos call and it has more sounds, and is louder. but what i really like about this call is the fact that i can have it on cotton tail dis and when you shoot it changes over to a pup distress. After you shoot and the other yotes here this it drives them crazy.
    Read my story on Christmas eve suprise

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  7. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    thanks coyhunter!! Is the firestorm easy to use? Do you have to program it ? Is it ready out of the box? How many sounds does it have? Is it remote to 100 yds or more?

8. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I say your just not where htey are if your calling hawks and such.And igf you still have that old herters hand call get out there and use it. Hard to find one tuned like they were. Jimmie

9. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    Hey Jimmie thanks!! No dont have that ole Herters call. Do have a Herters squirrel call and Coon call hear they are worth money!! Hey Ive seen a lot of your threads and would say you are one of the best callers! Do you use a foxpro? Have you used a Johnney Stuart? Or do you use an open reed call cant remember, my last computer took a beatin with my ball pein hammer!! that was sure fun!! have a good one! This time of year whats the best time to be in the woods for gettinthem yotes?

10. kycountryboy

kycountryboy 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2008
    columbia,ky
    I ordered my fx3 form all predator calls out of utah,and they let you pick the sounds you want and they program it in. I would get a firestorm. I used one of those little callers when I started and never called in anything but crows and hawks, don't no why maybe just lack of experience.

11. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I happen to have that little JS caller in the other version.And personally wouldn't have a foxpro if it was given to me. I do prefer mouth calls over anything else, mainly because I like it up close and personal. Whether they are more effective is much debated.

Shame you don't have that call anymore. I have also kicked myself when I check the prices for some of the old calls I had and lost.

Coyotes are a lot diferent from fox or other game we are used to . They do travel some and keep ya guessing as to where htey are this week. Put some pressure on 'em and coyotes will flat out change addresses where those old fox would just find a deeper hole to hide in. They are changing and evolving right in front of us. The hardest part of this game is finding them. The best thing is htye will answer just about anything if htey hear it. Jimmie

12. Thatguy84

Thatguy84 Spike

Sep 14, 2010
    Western Kentucky
    Instead of spending $500 on a FoxPro....Why not just buy a couple mouth calls? I just can't get into the e-caller craze...mouth calls is where it's at.

13. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    Thanks Jimmie!! But when the pressure is on like in a wildlife management area with a lot of hunters do you still thinkc oyotes are easy to call in? If you were goin to hunt tomorrow what time would you be in the woods? Do you use a cover scent? have you ever called in a bobcat? i hear they are real hard and take a long time to come in. Also how long do you generally stay at a call before levin? I really appreciate all the tips. Also why wouldnt you have a foxpro? just wondered

14. wked

wked 6 pointer

Nov 26, 2008
    West KY
    I'm a long way from an expert but I would say that when the pressure is on in a wma (like I hunt 95% of the time) it's because of all the ecallers. Throw something that sounds a little different at them. I will continue to use my foxpro, but I find myself pulling out the hand calls as well.

15. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    well ecallers have an advantage I believe. For one you can place the call away from where you are. Inother words you dont get the attention! say up to 100 yds with a foxpro. Your scent not right there too. Of cource you still have to be a good shot! Plus the variety of calls avail. But to someone who is good with hand calls and a good hunter like Jimmie he doesnt need one. Me, I think I need one I know I need the trigger time! Want to skin it out like the fox I have on my wall from trappin when I was a kid. What im sayin is Im not that good of a hunter anymore. Hope to buy some land soon so I wont be goin to these publik places. Also need someplace to shoot as I reload and have many guns! Hey I sure enjoy all the advise sure like this Kentucky Forum!!