Fox squirrels ?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by bobkg3, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    It's no wonder the generic common name for them was picked. They come in a whole Crayola box worth of colors and they get pretty darn big. An older mentor friend of mine that worked for the rail yards once told me that in Indiana the locals would laugh at you for brining a shotgun on a hunt. He had the chance on a stay over in Indiana to go hunting with another coworker who lived there. He brought an older Auto-5 12 gauge full choked shotgun and the guy laughed at him. Said when they got to the forested area to hunt he seen why. Real tall Oaks and all the squirrels were Fox Squirrels a mile high in the tree. The local guy was using .22 magnum with CCI solids and my old mentor friend said he had to pick his shots well and switch to #4 #5 shot which was not common for him. Usually he used simple reloads of #6 or #7.5 over Red Dot in AACF hulls.
    Matter of fact now that I keep looking through old materials of mine I had a particular favorite late season load in 20 gauge which doubled as a Turkey load in the right choke. XX 1 1/8th oz #4 or #6 shot copper plated and if that was not available the Nitro Remington Pheasant 1 oz copper plated 1220 FPS #4 #6 shot. Either worked great. Normal Super X chilled Lead #5's worked well also.

2. KY_Fried

KY_Fried 12 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Foster, KY, USA.
    The ones around here are mostly gray. Other then there size they look almost just like a gray squirrel. Most even have a white belly. Almost makes me wonder if they're mixed. 20211018_123457.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    chri-stop-it and Travis Thacker like this.
  3. I have killed fox squirrels in Floyd Co on Right Beaver and Fleming Co near Wallingford but they are in the minority. In both cases it was recently all in timber at the ridge tops. I mostly hunt Rowan now on the DBNF and it is Grey's only. I have never seen a fox variant in those woods. I know they usually tend to hang in the wind rows along fields and streams, I have only found them in the tops of the ridges.

I do hunt WV in Roane Co as well sometimes and there, I also occasionally encounter one in the woods along the top benches mostly.

Irish

4. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    Middle bushy tail in that picture had a bot fly larva living in it's shoulder. You can see the scab where it finally crawled on out. Seems like I kill at least 2 or 3 that have those pesky larva living in them. Even my poor old house cat gets infected with those fly larva from time to time. I have to hold him down and flush them out or pull them out with tweezers.
    Tried to go on a late season Dove hunt last weekend but ended up squirrel hunting in the woods near the field. Got 3 grays but did not see a single dove in the field which is not usually the case. I had scouted the previous day and seen a good flock of maybe 30-40 birds staying in a far corner near the pond and creek. Cold must have pushed them out after that long rain spell we got a week or so back.

KY_Fried likes this.
  5. chadwimc

chadwimc 12 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    Earth
    Another fox squirrel last evening. I had to do some work on a blind that a tree branch tried to destroy. I thought "What the heck, might as well tote a shotgun along, just in case".

Even after falling in the crick, on my back, with about 25 lbs. of tools and gear in a back pack, shotgun slung across my chest, it was still worth it...:D

squirrel2021k.jpg

6. buckdroppings

buckdroppings 8 pointer

Nov 29, 2003
    Sligo, KY, USA.
    My experience, Fox squirrels tend to hang around woodline edges near open areas and thickets. Thinly wooded areas are going to be the place you find them most. These cold early mornings they will get in the highest trees and try to catch the sun for a quick warm up. They are so much bigger than grays they're easier for me to search out.

7. Little FR

Little FR 6 pointer

Nov 10, 2021
    West Kentucky
    The fox squirrels around here are tough as nails. Usually split them in half when you try to shuck the hide. I tend to target grays. Made a good haul in early fall season.

they look gruesome air fried but taste great.

4B26950B-2F09-45A4-A6C1-BF0A9CCDC04A.jpeg

Feedman likes this.
  8. grinder

grinder 10 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    They look a lot better quartered. Just look too much like a rat when they are whole, because, i guess, they are a rat !

9. buckdroppings

buckdroppings 8 pointer

Nov 29, 2003
    Sligo, KY, USA.
    Fox are tough but I put them in a pressure cooker for about 10-12 minutes. After that you can cook them any way you want and they'll be as tender a meat as you can eat.

10. buckdroppings

buckdroppings 8 pointer

Nov 29, 2003
    Sligo, KY, USA.
    Tree Rat

11. Little FR

Little FR 6 pointer

Nov 10, 2021
    West Kentucky
    I like to eat the flanks and pick the rib meat. Quartering a squirrel is like breasting out a beautiful turkey, wasting the liver and gizzard on a duck or just cutting the strap and loins out of a deer to me.