Fox problems!!

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by BikerTrash22, Apr 1, 2021.

1. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Were you using those chickens for bait? Fox will definitely kill a chicken. But he normally kills one and takes it with him. If you had several chickens killed and heads were missing and crops eaten you might need to start looking for a coon as the culprit. If there are bunches killed and just necks bitten it’s probably a weasel. Everything likes to eat chicken...I’m just saying the fox may not have been your culprit.

2. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Regardless of what killed your chickens, I would go ahead and set out some dogproofs and see how many coons you get. You can never kill too many of those worthless bastards.

BikerTrash22 and Feedman like this.
  3. BikerTrash22

BikerTrash22 Spike

Nov 18, 2015
    Oh it was definitely 2 foxes that got these two hens! I caught them with the birds in their mouth, and have home security footage of one of the kills! I was lucky enough that after I seen the foxes I was able to go back inside and retrieve my rifle. When I went back outside there was only one to shoot! I have lost 6 birds in a year, some were killed and left, but these two were being taken into the woods. I have set live traps but what ever was setting them off was not capturing them.

4. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Then you have half your problem solved! Get that other one slipping around. (But I’d still put out some DPs, but that’s just cause I hate coons)

BikerTrash22 likes this.
  5. silentarcher

silentarcher 6 pointer

Feb 27, 2013
    west ky
    I feel your pain on your predator problem. I also have chickens and used to never have issues with free ranging them. Now I've gone from 18 birds to seven in the last year. I killed a fox last year and my neighbor killed one a few weeks ago. I seen a coyote get my blue silkie rooster Christmas day but I couldn't get out the door in time with a gun before he was gone. Thankfully mine are safe at night but the predators seem to have realized this and are brave enough to kill them during the day. I'm going to try setting footholds on my back property this year. And keep on shooting. Hawks are even lingering around more as well. Lost a silkie hen to one of those as well. Seen it too. I'm quite sure bobcats are ambushing them As well. They're thick in my area.

beauhunter41031 and BikerTrash22 like this.
  6. BikerTrash22

BikerTrash22 Spike

Nov 18, 2015
    Well if there is a good in all of this, is now Im mad, and have an itch to kill some varmits. They are probably why I dont see any turkeys on my brec co farm also.

7. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Two years ago I lost just under 30 chickens in three months. Koons and coyotes. They were free range and crapping all over the place so I’m kind of glad they’re gone hate to say it. My lady caught the tractor supply chicken fever so we’re going to have another dozen this year I told her she better build a damn coop and keep them out of my shop And away from the house

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    BikerTrash22 likes this.
  8. Riflelooney

Riflelooney 6 pointer

Aug 7, 2016
    Last I checked, fox season ended in February.
    Killing one in the act is one thing, specifically going out to target one is something else.
    Just something to take into consideration.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021