Fox population?

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by Kentucky Charlie, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Kentucky Charlie

Kentucky Charlie Fawn

Mar 18, 2019
    Henry County KY
    I'm in the bluegrass region and i don't see or hear foxes anymore. I bet it's been years since i've seen roadkill.

Anybody else notice this?

timer likes this.
  2. trapper perry

trapper perry 12 pointer

May 10, 2009
    Fox are hard to find.Too many coyotes now

3. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Tons of red fox where I'm at in Hart county and a few greys too. Surprisingly our coyote population is high.

carnivore likes this.
  4. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Approximately one month ago, I heard a vixen scream extremely close to the house, which is located within a subdivision surrounded by farmland. That blood-curdeling scream, which stopped me dead within my tracks outside early one evening, came from the direction of the naturalized area, consisting of five acres. Four acres had been partially bush hogged, approximately two months prior.

There are a few dogs that roam the subdivision at night, and I guessed that one had simply come to close. There are always vocal coyotes located directly upon the outskirts of the subdivision, but the dogs seem to keep them and the deer at bay, thankfully. I have surmised the fox decided to have her den within the subdivision, for these reasons, but I have not searched for it, and I have intentionally left a large portion of one acre naturalized, in order to potentially provide the fox and other wildlife some cover, while the other part partially open for an active bluebird trail (five boxes, two in need of repair, multiple broods this past season). There are plenty of stormwater drains throughout the subdivision, which can provide the fox some covert mobilization.

JR PORTER likes this.
  5. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    We see foxes fairly often around the subdivision here in Oldham county. We have lots of squirrels, but the thing I rarely see anymore is rabbits....

6. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Haven't seen any red or greys in a long time here in Knott Co. Plenty of coyotes and cats tho. Couple hoot owls and also heard a screech owl couple weeks ago.

7. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Lots of reds and a few grays in my area...42338, 42347 area.

8. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Never had a red on camera but we have a gray that comes by couple times a week always at night in Marion county

Carl likes this.
  9. Thumb Catcher

Thumb Catcher Spike

Dec 21, 2014
    I read a article recently that Ohio did a study a couple years ago on Grey Fox?
    I think they collard 20 to 25
    It came down to Coyotes, Road kills and to my big surprise a lot of the Grey Fox died from
    K 9 Distemper since they use a lot of Dens that Coons use, made sense to me.
    Its been 3 or 4 years since I seen a grey in these parts,

Gooch likes this.
  10. rare to see a fox in greenup county

11. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I saw a Gray Fox last evening around sunset. First one I've seen since last Spring.

12. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Red population is booming where i hunt.

13. Stone Branch

Stone Branch 6 pointer

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY
    Caught a few on camera lately for the first times.

IMG_0086 (1300 x 731).jpg

G

14. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I haven't seen a Grey Fox in 30 years here in Pulaski-Rockcastle area. Quite a few Reds.

15. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    JR
    I saw a grey ran over this week. I think I was on 1247. Cant remember for sure