Fox family near the coop

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by carnivore, Apr 26, 2021.

1. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    So my sister(my provider of eggs) has 20 chickens and a substantial coop but there is a fox family that has taken up residence under a third Neighbor’s barn. We put a hurting on the coons and have not had a problem for a while now. I may resort to killing the red fox but id prefer to trap and relocate them. Do i have any chance at all in getting the adults in a live trap? Or is a foot hold my only option. There are a bunch of barn cats and beagles running around i prefer not to catch. And strategies or advice would be appreciated.

might trap the kits and try to use them as bait but haven’t quite figured out how. I dont want to stress them, maybe killing them is the most humane thing. Just would like to get this problem solved be fore my egg makers start getting picked off.

2. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Well if ya wanna solve it. Kill them. get one mounted. Make a pretty mount. I have killed them but yet to mount them.
    anywho I know people go nuts over fox but they are a predator to. I say killem. My opinion.

carnivore likes this.
  3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I wouldn't worry much about a fox with chickens in a good coop and fenced lot.

Nock and carnivore like this.
  4. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    Timing would have to be right on a mount......thin, spotty pelts this time of year. Wouldn't make a real pretty mount.

Nock, HeadedWest and Trapper Delk like this.
  5. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    I’m just glad the fox population has rebounded a little…I was always told Coyotes put a major hurting on them when they moved in.

No experience with chickens, but if Barney’s suggestion doesn’t work, the most humane thing to do would be to send them off…to that place….ya know…

carnivore and barney like this.
  6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    So far so good. She keeps a close eye on them when they are out free ranging

barney likes this.
  7. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    It's only a matter of time if she free ranges them. Seems like it comes and goes in waves for me. I went well over a year without losing one and now I've lost 4 in the last month, 3 of which in the last week.

8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    The one that got killed last year was my least favorite, very broody.
    i hope having the dogs out when the chickens are out will help. We shall see. Feel like ive killed every coon in the county, then the fox move in lol.
    CB716AC4-4A1A-402F-942E-12AFD0173DAE.jpeg

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 9:03 PM
    Nock and barney like this.
  9. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Yeah it would look like one of Haves.

Feedman, barney and bgkyarcher like this.
  10. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Hawks have been my only problem. Ours free range from daylight to dark. I believe our dogs help keep a lot run off.

11. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    We went 3.5 yrs w/o any losses, then lost 4 in 2 weeks last year. I believe it was a feral house cat. They wanted a war they got one!

barney likes this.