Found this interesting

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by ribsplitter, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013
    I have personally witnessed 2 different elk over the last 10 years be infected with some kind of disease. One was in Johnson county in an area many miles away from where any were released. 100 yards behind my buddies house. It was collared cow. My buddy and I was able to walk right up to it. It never took a step, only watched us as we walked around it. We were close enough that we were able to touch it. We called F&W. Not sure what happened after that as we never heard from F&W after that and the elk was gone a couple days later. Same thing happened with a spike bull in Breathitt County 3-4 years ago. Dad and I were quail hunting and came up on a spike that was behaving the exact same way. I know for a fact that elk never moved from the same 50 yard circle for several days. We hunted the same spot a couple days later and the elk was still there. Found a dead spike last year not far from that spot. No evidence of being shot. I'm guessing it too could have been infected. Makes you wonder how many others could have died in the same way without anyone ever knowing. Lots of hollars to go into and die and more than enough predators to clean up the remains.

2. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    My old man called the CO over one that was in the same yard for 3 days walking in circles a couple years back in Knott County. CO came and gave the initial diagnosis of brain worm, shot it and loaded it up. CO said it was the 3rd one he had killed that week and this was a Thursday!!!!

3. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Lots of elk have been lost to brain worm. Some local pockets seem to have it occur more often than others.

4. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I use to see a lot of it back when elk were thick as flies, not so much anymore. It wasn’t nothing to see 150 elk in a 3 miles stretch on hwy 899. That was too many elk tho lol. But brain worm is common; what I’ve read it more common in juvenile males.