Found my 2014 buck

muddhunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2005
louisville
View attachment 52213 View attachment 52214 Shot the deer of a lifetime in the 2014 deer season. Thought I made a good shot but couldn't find blood and was torn between looking and bumping this monster. I've replayed it a million times. So I went to a friend's to watch the ufc fights and a property owner from the area I shot the buck struck up a convo about the deer. He hadn't seen it since and said he thinks I got him. I decided to go and View attachment 52215 look one more time. Well, unfortunately, he was right. I had killed the deer. I found what remained of the deer and his rack. Pics of the remains below.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Did you not look for it at all because you were afraid to bump it off the property?

hunter1hall

6 pointer
Dec 5, 2003
Springfield, Kentucky.
I looked for it within the boundaries I was allowed. Given the lack of any blood I had no real direction to search. Since there was no blood I thought it would be better to back out and hunt him the rest of the season.

Chimpy

8 pointer
Jun 29, 2004
Wilder, ky, USA.
So you shot the buck of a life time and chose not to look for him? I thought you meant you backed out to give him time to die, then looked the next day or so. I am not the God of hunters or anything close, but every deer you hit, whether a yearling or a monster, needs to be pursued until you are sure it is dead or impossible to find. I have shot numerous deer that left zero blood, gave them a few hours, then searched in the direction they ran and found them (usually the no blood was due to my arrow not passing all the way through, or I just couldn't find the trail.) Sorry about the outcome, but you should ALWAYS look.

Farrier85

10 pointer
Oct 29, 2015
So you shot the buck of a life time and chose not to look for him? I thought you meant you backed out to give him time to die, then looked the next day or so. I am not the God of hunters or anything close, but every deer you hit, whether a yearling or a monster, needs to be pursued until you are sure it is dead or impossible to find. I have shot numerous deer that left zero blood, gave them a few hours, then searched in the direction they ran and found them (usually the no blood was due to my arrow not passing all the way through, or I just couldn't find the trail.) Sorry about the outcome, but you should ALWAYS look.
I've got neighbors, if the don't find blood within 10 yards of where they shot it then they call it a miss.... drives me nuts. I usually find at least 2 basket racks or 4 pointers that they couldn't find blood.

Rodeo man

8 pointer
Aug 31, 2011
First glance, I thought it was 1 1/2 old deer to. When you study it in relationship to the Ski, it does look bigger. Tough break. I would have thought a squirrel or something would have done knawed it up by now.

hunter1hall

6 pointer
Dec 5, 2003
Springfield, Kentucky.
To each there own. I saw him on hoof. Guess you are the superior judge. It wasn't big at all. Scrub.

Sent from my SAMSUNG

Too many people watch these canned, high fence hunts on the Outdoor Channel. It looks like a good deer to me.
Thanks. I honestly have contemplated leaving this forum. It's a shame everyone is so critical about everything. There was a time when I viewed sportsman as a group that were old school values and respect. Seems that no longer applies. The norm now is to point out as many negatives as possible and second guess everything. It's disappointing.

Rodeo man

8 pointer
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks. I honestly have contemplated leaving this forum. It's a shame everyone is so critical about everything. There was a time when I viewed sportsman as a group that were old school values and respect. Seems that no longer applies. The norm now is to point out as many negatives as possible and second guess everything. It's disappointing.

I'm not a regular. I stop in about once a week. I've noticed the same thing. Doesn't bother me though. Age has taught me that people that are outwardly negative, are inwardly negative. Something in their life is missing. If they are filling that empty spot by being a horses a__ on the Internet, then oh well. It was a nice deer. Even if it wasn't, it was a trophy to you. The one that got away. There's another one out there. You just gotta find it.

Fat_Matt

6 pointer
Dec 28, 2011
Elsmere, KY

It's due to the perception that the tv shows give. Those shows have really hurt hunting more than anything in my opinion. Apparently the standard now is "If it isn't 150 or more it's not a trophy". Since when did it have to be a certain size to be considered a trophy? Looks good to me, too bad you couldn't find him when you originally shot him.

Buford

12 pointer
Mar 15, 2006
Zone 1 bachelor heaven
It's due to the perception that the tv shows give. Those shows have really hurt hunting more than anything in my opinion. Apparently the standard now is "If it isn't 150 or more it's not a trophy". Since when did it have to be a certain size to be considered a trophy? Looks good to me, too bad you couldn't find him when you originally shot him.

I've never seen a hunting show in my life, but in my neighborhood, the standard among grown men who wish to enter the bragging realm is 150. If youre a meat hunter, good on you, but I'm not obligated to tolerate too much "my cousins BILS friend killed this monster!!!" (which is 120"), before it gets tiring. I do think the OP had a nice deer. Not sure why other people want to exaggerate trophy size, then get mad when people laugh, then pull the every deer is a trophy card-which is true, unless you started out wanting to be Jimmy Houston and got shot down by the internet measurers.
You never have and never will see my deer on here. I don't need your approval, don't trust your intentions and don't care about either.

Fat_Matt

6 pointer
Dec 28, 2011
Elsmere, KY
I've never seen a hunting show in my life, but in my neighborhood, the standard among grown men who wish to enter the bragging realm is 150. If youre a meat hunter, good on you, but I'm not obligated to tolerate too much "my cousins BILS friend killed this monster!!!" (which is 120"), before it gets tiring. I do think the OP had a nice deer. Not sure why other people want to exaggerate trophy size, then get mad when people laugh, then pull the every deer is a trophy card-which is true, unless you started out wanting to be Jimmy Houston and got shot down by the internet measurers.
You never have and never will see my deer on here. I don't need your approval, don't trust your intentions and don't care about either.

I'm not yet at the stage where I'm too worried about size. I do it more for meat than bones. I'd love to have one of those 150+ boys walk out in front of me but if he doesn't I'm not upset. I don't like those who have to justify their kills by claiming they were "culling" the herd. My biggest buck to date measured just under 102" and he hangs on on my wall and it is a damn nice trophy. Hunting is whatever you make it but folks shouldn't be downgraded because their standards are different than others. It is what it is, but I will agree, if your feelings get hurt over people laughing then they have a problem. To each their own.

reivertom

12 pointer
Dec 17, 2007
Greenup Co.

I'm surprised that with all these experts on here, we aren't all world famous hunting Guru's. :^)

Latest posts