Found my 2014 buck

hunter1hall

6 pointer
Dec 5, 2003
Springfield, Kentucky.
View attachment 52213 View attachment 52214 Shot the deer of a lifetime in the 2014 deer season. Thought I made a good shot but couldn't find blood and was torn between looking and bumping this monster. I've replayed it a million times. So I went to a friend's to watch the ufc fights and a property owner from the area I shot the buck struck up a convo about the deer. He hadn't seen it since and said he thinks I got him. I decided to go and View attachment 52215 look one more time. Well, unfortunately, he was right. I had killed the deer. I found what remained of the deer and his rack. Pics of the remains below.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

hunter1hall

6 pointer
Dec 5, 2003
Springfield, Kentucky.
uploadfromtaptalk1457305683536.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1457305707134.jpg

hunter1hall

6 pointer
Dec 5, 2003
Springfield, Kentucky.
I don't have any. It was the first time I'd hunted the stand. A friend had just bought the property and killed a small buck Saturday morning which was opening morning. The next morning he killed a doe. While retrieving the doe he saw the buck I would shoot later. He told me at church that he saw the biggest deer he had ever seen. I was somewhat hesitant because everyone has their own version of big. I decided to go and give it a shot. Saw 6 little buck's and was completely certain that my big and his big were very much different. I climbed down and standing 80 yds away was the biggest whitetail I've ever seen while hunting. I shot, he ran. Waited an hour and started looking. Found a very small piece of meat. No blood.

I measured the main beam with the two pieces I have its 25 inches. If you consider that there are two points missing between the pieces I have, it more than likely would be close to 30 inches if not more. The bases are both 5 3/4 inches. And yes there are no complete tines to reference. It was a 12 pt. They were not 15 inches but I know they were over 8. They were tall. I won't ever forget what the deer looked like. I'm just glad I found something. It's not the ending I wanted. But its an ending.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I'm sorry you didn't find him sooner. It happens. I'm sure it was a great buck, but don't get upset with people that can't see the beast you described based on the remnants you posted...

BowOnly

8 pointer
Mar 6, 2008
Wth??? Found your buck from a year and a half ago? Seems odd.

I hate to be that guy but I don't see 25" of main beam unless that's a 2 liter can of ski.

Jan 5, 2016
bts

I am honestly not trying to be ignorant here but that is not the remains of a very big antlered buck. yes it may have had some mass but does not took to be that much of a frame or long tines? just my opinion from what i am seeing from the pictures. But sometimes pictures can not do justice!
dont look big at all

Chilly

12 pointer
Nov 18, 2009
Under a tree and looking up!!!
Glad you got some closure Shawn. He sounds like he was a good one, the kind you don't come by everyday. Most people who have a "one that got away" story, never actually know the outcome. I have one of those myself!

Last edited:

Xi Bowhunter

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2002
Goetz Farm
Are you certain that is your buck? I have seen antlers that were in far better condition than the ones you have, that were much older than a year and a half. The ones you found look like they are a lot older than 1 1/2 years.

If you are sure that is your buck, then I am happy you found them. It looks like it was a fine buck.

hunter1hall

6 pointer
Dec 5, 2003
Springfield, Kentucky.
Are you certain that is your buck? I have seen antlers that were in far better condition than the ones you have, that were much older than a year and a half. The ones you found look like they are a lot older than 1 1/2 years.

If you are sure that is your buck, then I am happy you found them. It looks like it was a fine buck.
Yes. 100% the skull and rack were hit with a mower or bush hog. I'm going back and try to find more.

Xi Bowhunter

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2002
Goetz Farm
Yes. 100% the skull and rack were hit with a mower or bush hog. I'm going back and try to find more.

That makes a little more sense now. I'm glad you found something, and know what became of the buck.

Hopefully you will get a chance to redeem yourself this season. Happy hunting.