Fort Knox question and answer thread

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by keith meador, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Madco

Madco Spike

Dec 6, 2010
    Richmond, KY
    Thanks! I may just take off for a walk!

2. kenbuckyblu

kenbuckyblu 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2008
    Lebanon Junction
    100_2735.jpg

buck i took at knox today, was cruisin at 2 today. 14 ptr 2 pts broke off would have been a 16, 5 1/2 yr old

3. kentuckyoutdoorsman

kentuckyoutdoorsman 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2011
    shepherdsville
    Congrats! What area did you take him in?

4. countryfied252

countryfied252 Spike

Jun 26, 2011
    Campbell County
    Hunting Ft. Knox

I got drawn to hunt area 56 at Ft.Knox for November 22 and 23. Has anyone hunted this area before? Also, any advice for hunting Ft. Knox in generl?

5. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    Here is the best Knox advice you can get. Don't be the Doofus at the truck at 0900 saying there are no deer here this is a waste of time. There are good deer in all areas but you have to hunt. Good Luck and sit all day.

6. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    I was out there yesterday and was seeing deer early, but they were too far into the trees to tell what they were.
    Then around 10 I look to my left and two doe are 15 yards away. Never heard them. Saw lots of buck sign in scrapes and rubs. Still have my either sex tag so I am hoping to see a bruiser come by next week.

7. chiselpoint

chiselpoint Fawn

Sep 15, 2014
    If anyone is bow hunting tomorrow it would be a good idea to sign into area 21, saw 2 shooters chasing does in that low area between the road an the river! One I know is at least 150" typical 10! Pm for more detailed information.

8. sniperflash

sniperflash 6 pointer

Sep 14, 2011
    berea ky
    Do you have to be drawn to hunt fort Knox with a bow

9. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    I don't know if there are very militery hunters on here or veterans on here but if u are hey thick you so very much for your service to this country without you guys hunting wouldn't be possible we would probley be like some of these other country's death ever were you go someone wanting to take your life can't beleave that the world can be that way like isis so I will stop now God bless our troops may God be with you guys and again thinks from my heart.

10. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    yes, you put in for the bow hunt in august. You are drawn for one weekend and you can hunt through the week with the exception of Tuesday (no hunting on Tuesdays).

11. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Weapons question.....

Last year, we registered our guns, shotguns and Muzzle Loaders with the registration form From Directorate of Emergency Services. Says on top of form that they are good for 3 years. Everything went smooth.

We started hearing rumors about having to do something different to use Muzzle loaders, today I called Hunt control and he said our registration form from last year was good for this year again, no further action needed.

Another member of our group also called hunt control and he got a totally different answer. He said we indeed needed to fill out new forms for MUZZLE LOADERS only........

Can anyone clarify what has changed since last year?

12. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    The form is NO LONGER REQUIRED for muzzleloaders.

13. Shedhunter4011

Shedhunter4011 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2009
    Up a Tree
    When i called them early this spring the provost Marshall told me Bows and ML DO NOT need to be registered. Who did u talk to at HC? And I would call STR8 to the MP desk SGT and get clarification to be on the safe side. Provost Marshall is the only one who can tell u what and what not needs to be registered. But I can tell u that when i told the gate guard i jad a ML he didnt ask for my registration paperwork.

14. bowtechhunter

bowtechhunter 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2009
    Elizabethtown
    When hunting with a muzzleloader on Knox is there any stipulations as far as powder or anything that you are allowed to use.

15. jcooper

jcooper 6 pointer

Oct 27, 2012
    Elizabethtown
    Yes you can't use more than 100 grains of powder.